The Lost Journal

March 23rd Negative 1987

When I awoke, Thomas was sitting on the edge of my bed. At first I thought I scared him but then I realized he scared me. I screamed and he put his hand over my mouth. He seemed, colder, than I’d thought, maybe it was just not feeling him for so long.

“I apologize, I did not mean to frighten you.” He said with a slight smile.

“Get out of here, before I call Michael, Cosmo, or Castor! Anal!” I hissed, but she wasn’t in her bed.

“They’ve all taken different shifts to get more food. We seem to have run out with the stow away.” He half smiled, again.

I lay there, utterly shocked that they would leave me alone with him. Especially Cosmo. Thomas’ eyes were more gorgeous than I remember. Now they faded between magenta and gold. Gold? When had they ever been gold? Cosmo’s are gold but…well maybe Thomas has changed his diet.

“I know you haven’t forgiven me, and you will never take me back but…maybe we could be like that confused human of yours. We can still be friends, right?” he asked hopefully.

I stared into his amazing eyes and forgot how to breathe, “Breathe Taika.” He reminded me.

I gulped and climbed out of the bed, “Um…sure…I guess…why not?”

“Great!” he perked up, “Hey, I want to show you something.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the cabin.

“Am I allowed to change out of my night clothes?” I asked impatiently.

“Oh.” He stopped and inspected me, “Of course, quickly. I don’t want you to miss it.”

‘He seems different.’ I thought as I changed into a pair of pants and a sleeveless shirt. I ignored the shoes, we can’t leave the ship. He was waiting there, outside my door. Thomas took my hand and began walking quickly to the deck.

“Here we are.” He said as we climbed the top step.

“You wanted to show me the deck?” I asked sarcastically.

He smiled at me and said, “No, Taika, look.” He pointed out to the horizon. The fourth sun had fallen and the sixth moon was rising. It was a gorgeous sight that took my breath away. The sixth moon was shaped like a crescent, and the fourth sun was falling in the back ground. It was the most beautiful thing I’d seen in years. The color of the sky and the glow of the extra-terrestrial stars gave the sky the look of calm and serenity. The perfect juxtaposition of the dangerous and terrifying sea. Thomas put his arm around my waist and led me to the edge of the ship.

“It’s beautiful.” I gasped.
“I thought you’d like it.” I heard a smile in his voice. He held me tighter as we watched the sky change from calm to clear in a matter of minutes. Thomas released me and began to walk away. Instinctively I reached out for him to come back. Then remembering the past few days, I dropped my arms. He looked back over his shoulder and whispered, “I really do love you, Taika.” As he walked away. I ran to him and hugged him from behind, “I do love you, Thomas, but you can’t go around killing people. It just doesn’t work like that, I’m sorry; I can’t forgive you for this. Although you have to understand how much I want to. I want you back Thomas, but…I just can’t…” I whispered, burying the side of my face in his shoulder blade. He unhooked my hands from around him and turned to face me. I felt the tears pouring out and down my face. He bent his head down so he was on eye level and he kissed me. A lot safer than he used too, but kissed me all the same. I know this isn’t going to help anything when I say I can’t be with him. Especially since I’m kissing him back. For the moment I was happy. I had tears running down my cheeks and my soul mate kissing me. I love Thomas, I really do. Why is that so hard for me to accept? It shouldn’t be, I do love him, and everyone knows it. He stopped suddenly and walked away, leaving me standing there in the middle of the deck, alone with tears running down my cheeks with arms out stretched. That’s when the others came back. Anal and Ba’al went to a cabin to distribute the food between the men and women. Castor went to check the map, so Michael and I were left alone on the deck. He hugged me before he asked me what was wrong. I told him I’m a horrible person, he killed someone and I’m only killing him by doing this.

“Taika, nothing you could do would ever compare to what he did.” Michael assured me.

“Michael…” I hesitated, “I kissed him back…” I whimpered.

He took a step back and grabbed me by the arms, “You did what?! Why did he kiss you? Did you let him? What was he doing so close to you? I told him we shouldn’t have left you two alone! Stupid bloodsucker! Gees, I hate them! Gah! What were we thinking?” he screamed.
“Michael, this is my fault, not yours. Where is Cosmo, I need to speak with him.” I said.

Michael looked at me confused and then said, “He left…late last night…I heard him in the hall…and then I heard a growl of some sort…I could’ve sworn it was a bloodsucker, but…I wasn’t sure…” he trailed off.
“I heard that too. What was going on?” I asked right as Thomas walked to the wheel.

“Yes, Michael, what did happen?” he asked innocently.

Michael glared at him for a second and then picked me up and carried me down to his cabin. Castor looked confused until Michael whispered, “I told you it was bad, I knew he was planning something. Castor…he’s made his move.”

Castor set the map down, “What do you mean?” he asked with no emotion.

“Oh you know very well what I mean, dammit! We have to get Taika out of here, now! We can’t just let her stay with this deranged…leech!” Michael bellowed.

I released his grip from me and jumped out of his arms. I looked at Castor for a minute and got nothing but a smile. I turned back to Michael, “What are you talking about? You know I don’t want him back, why must we leave? Thomas has not endangered any of us.” Yet, I added to myself.

Michael huffed loudly, “It’s not Thomas we’re worried about. It’s that rule keeping leech of yours. We fear he will corrupt our lands and Iphigenia as well.”

“What? Cosmo? No, he left…last night…where would he go?” I asked.

“I made a mistake…” Michael began, “It wasn’t just his scent last night. And Thomas smells different as well. I think there might be something wrong with him. Maybe we should just leave him here. He can survive in the water. Or maybe we should leave. We could take the canoe, he would never know.”

“Look here! I know that he’s been behaving differently, believe me! I know! But we are NOT leaving him here, Michael!” I screamed, more loudly than necessary.

He put his hands up in surrender, “Okay, Taika, you don’t have to yell. We’ll stay, and so will he. I’m warning you though, he’s not right.”

I folded my arms across my chest and mumbled, “Like I don’t know that.”

Castor noticed and spoke up, “So…what did happen while we were gone, hmm?”

I looked at my feet and said nothing. But I didn’t have to, Michael spoke for me.

“Apparently our little annoyance got too close and last control.” Michael said, unenthusiastically.

I rolled my eyes and began to walk away, because no one said anything or tried to stop me, I figure it was safe to leave them alone. On my way out the door I hear Castor ask, “He kissed her didn’t he?” Castor sounded quite aggravated by this. Normally I would think it funny, but in this situation, I know that he wishes I wouldn’t get too close to Thomas. I understand that completely…more than they know.

“Oh yeah. And then when we returned he left her alone out on the deck.” Michael said, trying to fight a snigger.

I slammed the door so they would know I heard. I walked out on to the deck; the beautiful sky gone. In its place was a threatening storm cloud. I looked to the left to see Thomas at the wheel. I walked to him and his face softened a little.

“Michael thinks you’re diseased.” I said with a smile.

He looked at me for a little too long and then he said, “Yes, well, he would know wouldn’t he?” and then a smile. I had never realized what a gorgeous smile he had. Maybe I was just so distracted by his features all the time…but now…I’d gotten used to them, I guess.

I laughed once and leaned on his arm, he pulled it out from under me and wrapped it around my shoulders, “So I take it you’re not angry at me anymore?” he asked. Whoa, how was I supposed to answer that one?

“Of course I’m angry with you. But I do love you and I can’t help that. No matter how hard I try, I just can’t get you out of my head. And I’ll probably hate myself for this later…but I really do love you, and I can’t live without you, Thomas.” I replied.

He sighed and I saw a smile from the corner of my eye. For now, I guess I could love him like I used to. Of course, it will only make it harder to leave him, but for now, we’re both happy. But how can I be doing this to him? What is wrong with me? I’m being selfish, I want Thomas, but I can’t have him. He loves me…but I won’t let him have me. I’m just being plain rude. I pushed away from him and he pulled me back. Michael came out and saw us together. I pushed away again and he pulled me back once again. Michael decided to intervene this time. He came up and pulled me away and Thomas just let his arm drop back to the wheel.

Michael looked at me with curiosity but didn’t say anything. That is one thing I like about Michael, he won’t push anything too far. If you don’t want to talk about it, he won’t make you. And if he sees anyone upset, he doesn’t say a word, he just comforts them-like he’s done for me many times before. He wrapped his arm around my waist and walked me to our cabin. Even though Cosmo had left, Michael still didn’t trust me to be alone. So he stayed in the cabin with me.

When we walked in Anal and Ba’al were still sorting food. We strode over to my bed and he shoved me onto the bed. He was obviously angry; I could only hope it wasn’t at me. His hands were shaking and he kept popping his knuckles. After he flexed his hands a couple times and then started popping them again, I grabbed his giant hands.

“Michael, please. The sound makes me queasy.” I said.

He looked at me apologetically and then folded my hands in his, “Sorry.” He said.

I took one of my hands to stroke his hair. It was so soft, and brilliant in the light. He pulled my hand back down and looked at me with a smile, “I’m not a dog…right now.”

I giggled and rested my head on his enormous shoulder. Like Thomas he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I looked up after a few minutes to see him wrinkle his nose, “What?” I asked.

“Don’t be insulted, ‘kay?” he asked.

“Now I’m scared. What is it?” I inquired cautiously.

He laughed and said, “You kind of reek. No offence, I know it’s the leeches fault, but still.” He wrinkled his nose again.

I sighed, “Of course,” I paused, “By the way, I told him you thought he was diseased.” I smiled.

He moved back a little to look at me, “Really? And what did he say to that?”

I thought for a minute, “He said, ‘Well he would know wouldn’t he?’”

“Yes well…I guess I would know. Normally.” He said softly.

I worry about him. Michael is so fragile…well he was once upon a time. When we first met, he was just a boy. Somewhere in the time between then and now he grew up quite a bit. His voice deepened, he grew-a lot-, his hair grew out, and he became beautiful. I suppose he was beautiful, back then too, but I only notice it now that I’m not with Thomas anymore. I sighed and he hugged me tighter. Compared to him I was a stuffed teddy bear, only…not as cute.

“Okay, so tell me, Taika.” He said.

“Tell you what?” I asked, confused.

“What happened before we got back, of course.” He stated.

“Ugh,” I grumbled, “You already know what happened.”

“But I didn’t get the whole story. I’d like to fill in the gaps.” He laughed.

I sighed once again and told him everything that happened. I noticed Anal had left and Ba’al was listening intently from the corner. When he saw me looking at him he turned away quickly, a strange one he is.

Michael didn’t interrupt, and he didn’t do much but nod.

“And then you all came back.” I finished.

He nodded thoughtfully for a minute and then spoke quietly, “I’m not completely sure it was Cosmo’s scent that left, I think it’s still here. I think Thomas might have left.”

“That’s non-sense! Thomas is out there steering! Cosmo did leave, and I’m glad he did! He didn’t need to be here, and when he got here he made me feel all…weird.” I said, very childishly.

Michael scoffed, “He made you feel weird! You should have been in my shoes! I knew something wasn’t right about it, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it! And then Castor didn’t help anything, trying to be all positive about it!”

I laughed, “Castor? An optimist? No.” I said sarcastically.

“You know what I’m talking about. I just wasn’t sure what to think. Thomas seemed to have accepted your sentence and now he’s all over you. How does that make any sense?” michael asked.

“My sentence? I never sentenced him to anything. I just told him I never wanted to…oh. I see, I sentenced him to an eternity without me.” I said.

Michael nodded and started pacing in the small, cramped area.

“What are you planning?” I asked carefully.

He had his chin inbetween his thumb and forefinger, and was looking at the ground while he paced and clicked his tongue, “I’m not planning, I’m thinking.”

I sighed and layed on my back, “About what, Michael?”

“I know that it wasn’t his scent that left! I just know it! And your little boyfriend out there smells funny too. It still stings but,…it’s different. I’m telling you Taika something isn’t right, here!” he spoke quickly but clearly.

I lifted up my head and looked at Ba’al, “Ba’al, could you go and get Thomas for me, please?”

He looked up at the sound of his name, “Of course, Your Highness.” He smiled.

I smiled back and when he left the room I said under my breath, “Oh yes, because that doesn’t get old in a hurry.”

“Taika, would you be able to ask him a few questions? I know that you think it’s him, but maybe…maybe something happened and it’s not him. Just help me make sure it’s Thomas and I’ll drop it.” He promised.

“Fine.” I said curtly, “You want proof? I’ll attest that it’s Thomas.”

“Alright then, bring him in!” Michael challenged.

Thomas came through the door at that time and smiled at me. I smiled politely back and sat all the way up on the bed. Before I even thought about signaling the seat next to me Thomas was in it. He wrapped his arm around me and kissed me on the cheek.

“Thomas,” I began looking at the ground, “Do you remember when we first met? What did that saying mean? I was telling Michael and suddenly forgot.” I laughed and smacked myself on the forehead.

Michael just stood there looking like a body guard.

“La Tua Cantante, it means, my singer. Your blood attracted me in a way I didn’t think possible. It was amazing, to feel such a thing. You gave me quite a rush. The coven was quite disgusted but they love you now, Taika.” He explained.

I nodded at Michael and mouthed, “See?”

Michael still didn’t believe me so he started the questioning again, “Thomas, what was Taika doing in the forest that day?”

I looked at Michael dissapprovingly, “You don’t have to answer that Thomas.”

“Oh yes he does. Thomas, what was Taika doing in the forest that afternoon?” michael asked again.

Thomas dropped his arm, “She was running around screaming, ‘Mother, mother, I’m down here. Will you come to find me?’”

I don’t believe it. Thomas was just making this stuff up, no one knows what really happened, not even me. Around that time is when my memory goes blank. I can remember anything and everything past that point, but nothing before.

“Okay,” Michael thought for a moment, “Where did you take her after you found her? What did the coven think?”

Thomas replaced his arm around me, “We took her back to the shelter, of course. She had never seen anything like us before, so she ran, that is when Castor found her.” And he went on with the story of my life, Castor took me back to the castle, fell in love with me. Michael came to speak with Castor, fell in love with me. I figured out Castor is a vampire, and Michael is not completely human. I am to be married to Michael. Castor gets angry, I decide not to marry Michael. I run into Thomas again, I fall in love. He takes me with open arms, Castor and Michael become over-protective, the end.

“Yeah, okay. Thanks, Thomas, you helped a lot, see you around.” Michael said as he finished.
“Of course.” Thomas replied simply. The shook hands-Thomas’ doing, not Michaels-and Thomas left.

“There you have it.” Michael said when he had left.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.
Michael started counting on his fingers, “He’s too formal, he remembers everything like he just found out, he didn’t get defensive and ask what was going on like he normally would, and he smells worse than before.” He made a face at the last point.

I glowered at him, “He’s changed, he told me that was the best day of his life, of course he’ll remember it, and he’s changed! And he hasn’t had a washing in the past couple of days! I’m sure we don’t smell any better!” I contradicted.

Michael considered this and spoke quietly, “Fine, don’t believe me. Just because my senses are stronger and more developed than yours and I’ve known him longer, okay, don’t believe me. I’m absolutely and totally wrong, I’m sorry, Your Highness, I apologize. You were, are, and always will be, right.”

“You know that’s not what I meant.” I mumbled.

“Is it not? Taika, I thought that you trusted me!” he said.

“I do trust you Michael, but this time I know you’re wrong.” Emphasizing that he was wrong I got up off of the bed and walked to the door, “I’m sorry Michael, but you have to let me make my own mistakes. You know I’m not happy about this situation either, but I need to live the way I want to, not the way I’m told to.”

He snorted, “Do you not remember what got you selected? Not only myself, but the others that thought you would keep your emotions out of the way of business! What will you tell them when they find out you love a masochistic vampire?”

I stopped in the doorway, “He is not masochistic, and this is not business, this is my life we’re dealing with, not my kingdom.” And I slammed the door.

Thomas was standing outside the door, leaning on the wall, “Taika, thank you for standing up for me in there. What was going on exactly? Is everything alright?”
I smiled at him, “Everything is fine, come with me.” I grabbed his hand and headed for the stairs to the deck.

“What is it, Taika?” he asked.

“Nothing,” I hesitated, “I…I just wanted some company.”

He looked startled, “Mine?” he asked.

“In particular.” I clarified.

He smiled and took my hand, “Taika, do you see that?”

I looked out over the sea, “Land.” I whispered.

“Oh, much more than land, dear, that is the coast of Iphigenia, love.” He whispered in my ear. I laid my head on his shoulder and he hugged me close, “I must stay with the ship until you arrive safely. Once you all are inside the palace,” he lifted my face to his and kissed me lightly on the lips, “I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“Alright.” I smiled.

He kissed me one more time before he led me back to my cabin door. He held it open for me and motioned for Michael to follow him. Castor passed in the hallway and Thomas grabbed him by the shoulder, “We’re a thousand yards out.” He assumed.

Michael said he’d be there in a minute and he took me to my bed, “Taika, I am so sorry for the tone that I used earlier. I’m just so used to having you fully rely on me. I guess I just sort of missed it, do you forgive me?”

I grabbed his hands with one of mine, which was hard so he helped me by folding his hands together, “Michael, I do trust you, but I will never fully rely on you. I still stand beside what I said, I need to live my own life and live free. I can’t let people boss me around; I’m a Queen after all.”

He laughed, and morphed into the white husky I had seen the night before and licked my face. I giggled for several seconds when Anal came in. she didn’t look pleased but, she didn’t when she came in the room, it wasn’t our fault. Michael leaped across the room howling with joy and glided out the door. Anal and I packed our bags and drug them to the bottom of the stairs, Castor was waiting and he took them all up in both hands and carried them-with no trouble- up the stairs. Anal and Ba’al followed behind me, speaking quietly with one another.

Michael was back in human form and Thomas was steering again. Castor set our things down near the ropes for the canoe. I walked over to give Michael a hug and then went to stand next to Castor.

“You haven’t said much to me lately.” I pointed out.

“There isn’t much to say.” He wouldn’t even look me in the eyes.

A thought came to me at that moment, “Castor, you aren’t mad that you didn’t become ruler of Tirta, are you?”
“Of course not, Taika, I’m happy for you.” He sounded sincere enough, “I just wish this didn’t have to happen.”

I knew then that he meant he didn’t want to know what I would choose once I found out who my mother is.

“Castor,” I began, “I will always love you like my own brother. So, even if I do choose something different than being with you all, and I choose my real family, I want you to know…they might be my real family, but they can never be my true family.” I smiled.

He smiled back and hugged me. I smiled one more time and set my hand on his arm before I walked away. Thomas was still steering, and watching me very closely.

I walked to where he stood and he smiled radiantly at me, “You’re in a cheery mood.” I said.

“Well, you love me; of course I’m going to be happy.” He replied.

I stood next to him for the rest of the journey, watching as the shore came closer and closer until finally the anchor caught and the ship stopped. Castor grabbed everyone’s bags and we began a new journey. This journey will take us over hills and past mountain sides, rivers, valleys, lakes, and storms, and with every step I take, I come nearer to finding my history.

Michael shifted into the most beautiful black mustang and offered me a ride. I generously turned him down, this was going to be the longest, yet most eventful, experience of my life-I didn’t want to miss a minute of it riding on a quick stallion. He morphed back to his human form and took my hand. Castor, lightheartedly, asked him to change into a pack mule to carry the bags. We all laughed and teased Michael about it for the first few minutes of the walk.

I sighed as we passed the most amazing mountain I’d ever seen. It was very tall, and huge all the way around. The surface seemed smooth enough that it couldn’t be climbed. The tip of the attraction lifted high above the clouds, and couldn’t be seen.

Castor noticed my fascination with the making and he came to stand next to Michael, “Taika,” he began, “That is one of Iphigenia’s most precious landmarks.”

I turned my attention to him, “What do you mean by that?”

He smiled vaguely and whispered, “Some believe that at the tip of the mountain, there is a cave of ‘Holy Water’.”

I cocked my head to one side and thought for a minute, “Holy Water? Where have I heard that before?”

He laughed, “Legends and stories of my mother. People say that Adonis revived her with Holy Water from that very cave. That is how she has lived so long.”

I eyed him carefully, “Do you not believe these stories?”

Michael interrupted, “The Zulus believe those stories,” he turned to me, “As do I.”

Castor scoffed, “Of course you do. ‘Zulu people helped Adonis reach the top of the mountain-of Holy Water inscribed.’” Castor quoted.

Michael glared at castor and I felt his muscles tighten and release.

“I believe you.” I interjected.

Michael turned a shocked gaze at me, “You do, seriously? I mean, I do too but…you’ve actually lived with her, does she say it is true?”

Castor looked down at the ground, “She never gave us a clear answer. She always said, ‘Believe as you wish, whichever you choose, it will always be the right answer.’ So eventually we stopped asking.”

We walked for several quiet minutes, after that. Still holding Michaels hand I reach up with the other one and pull my hair behind my ears. Michael inhales deeply, “You smell nice as yourself, you know, without all the leech.” He smiled.

I couldn’t help but laugh, it was funny for some reason or another.

We passed by hills and lakes, more mountains and some caves. One cave even had a family of wolves in it. The mother was sick and the father was out hunting. Michael changed into his wolf form and leaped over to the mother. The only way he could understand her was if he was in her species. He came back and changed into a human mid leap.

“She says her lower body is in pain, and she broke her front right paw.” He explains.

“Here,” Castor hands him some pain medication, “Give this to her, tell her that we’re going to the castle, so she’ll know where to find us if she needs anymore help.”

Michael nodded, morphed, and ran back to the wolf-mother. Her pups just lie on the ground, some on top of others, I think I count eleven, but I’m not entirely sure. Michael barks and Castor runs over. Not wanting to be left alone I walk over to where Anal and Ba’al are standing. Ba’al is becoming impatient, while Anal just stands quietly, and very still.

Castor runs back over and grabs my hand, “She’s getting drowsy because of the medication. She’s worried that if her pups do not get fed soon that they will die of starvation. She said the father has been gone for six days now, and her body aches so terribly that she cannot feed them herself.”

“Okay, well what am I to do?” I ask. I have no former happenings with wolf pups.

“Just show her that we can be trusted. Having you, a Queen, on our journey might help her rest assured. Especially being a woman.” He explicates.

I gulped, “But I’m only a new Queen, how does she know that I can be trusted?”

He stopped abruptly, “Would you harm those pups?”

“Of course not!” I gasped.

“Then we’ll be fine. She’ll trust you.” He whispered as we neared the cave entrance.

I took a deep breath before kneeling down to the wolf-mother. Michael nudged my hand and I set it atop his head. I looked into his eyes and he looked back and forth between me, my hand, and the wolf-mother. Wondering if things were being lost in translation I set my other hand on the wolf-mothers head-just in the middle of her ears. She closed her eyes and I felt the muscles in her face relax, and her breathing evened out.

“She’s asleep, now the pups.” Castor whispered from behind me.

Michael got up and trotted over to where the pups are. He yelped playfully and two of them got up and walked over to him. He nuzzled them both and pushed them with his nose toward me.

“Castor, I have no food to give them.” I whispered.

“Give them these.” He handed me several bags of Benji’s best cookies.

I smile as I open the bag and smell them, “Alright.”

The two pups that had gotten up were sitting patiently at my feet. I sat cross-legged on the ground and they both jumped into my lap. They were tiny and I could feel every bone in their bodies. It was horrifying that they could still be alive, I wondered if they were suffering. Before I could prolong that suffering I pulled a cookie from the bag. One of the dogs-he was gray with a white patch on his left paw-tried to bite off my hand instead of the cookie. His teeth weren’t completely there yet, but the ones that were are tiny and sharp. It tickled more than hurt, so I giggled and gave him half of the cookie. The other pup in my lap is a girl, a red-brown color with a white muzzle that stayed white all the way down the under-side of her body, with a little white tip at the tail. She was adorable, and very playful. She took the other half of the cookie and chomped it enthusiastically.

By now the other pups had seen I meant no harm and they were lined up in a horizontal line in front of me. I pulled another cookie from the bag and broke it in half for the first one on my right. He had bright blue eyes that stood out among his gray-black body. I gave the next half of the cookie to the furthest one to my left. He had a silver coat with black paws and black spots on his face. The next cookie went to the second one on my right and the second on my left. These two looked almost exactly alike, blonde coats with deep brown eyes, but one had a peaceful look about her and the other looked very excited and upbeat. Five pups were left in front of me. I broke another cookie and set in down in front of the two on the ends. The one on the left was another red-brown color but no white on him, his eyes a deep-set black. The pup on the right was another gray one with dark green eyes. Once they had vigorously eaten their cookies they went to play with Castor. The three left in front of me were all white. The two on the ends had two black patches on their front paws, both with violet colored eyes. I broke the cookie for them and they carried it away to a corner. The one left in front of me was fully draped in white, with a silver hue in her eye. I set half of a cookie in front of her, and ate the other half. She kept looking from the cookie to me. She whined very softly and climbed into my lap. She curled up and set her head on my right knee. She was the tiniest of all, and her fur was the softest I’d ever felt. When I stroked from her head down her back her eyes closed slowly and she fell asleep. I kept petting her for a while when Michael came to my side. He was human again and he sat cross-legged, like me.

“She’s the smallest of them all. Going for more than six days without food and now she won’t eat, I wouldn’t recommend letting her sleep. She needs to eat, Taika.” He whispered.

I nodded and picked up the little pup, “Come on baby.” I whispered, “You need to eat, do you want a cookie?” I asked.

Michael morphed back into his wolf form and nudged her with his nose. She whimpered again.

Michael walked away and came back with Castor, “Something’s wrong.” I tell him, “She won’t eat the food, and all she wants to do is sleep.”

Castor took the pup from me gently and examined her closely. Her eyes were wide with fear and she breathed heavily, causing her nostrils to flare, ever so slightly.

“Castor, may I?” I asked holding out my hands.

“Mm…” he said as he handed her to me.

She was small enough to fit in one hand, but I cradled her in both.

I hummed a lullaby from a jewelry box I have in Tirta. Michael picked up the bag of cookies with his teeth and took it to where the pups had begun to play. Anal and Ba’al had come in and sat next to the wolf-mother. Michael is playing with the pups and Castor is just standing over me, watching.

This poor pup. So little, and so shy, she is my favorite of them all. I felt a sort of connection with her. We were set behind schedule by a storm over head. Michael asked the now conscience mother if we could stay until it passed. She was generous to let us stay, and then promised to take us on a shorter route to the palace, than the one we were on. Castor pulled out a map and Michael helped translate. By now the pups were either playing with Anal or sleeping. The little one that I had been holding was now in my lap, sleeping. She is so calm and gentle, so sweet and shy. The others don’t even seem to notice that she is here. Michael was back to his human form and Castor was still looking at the map when the mother-wolf came to stand beside me. She made a moaning sound and motioned for me to follow her. I pointed to the pup in my lap and she picked her up by the nape of her neck. I got up and the little pup followed behind us. The mother-wolf took me to a part of the cave I hadn’t noticed was here. It was more like a tunnel than a cave. We walked down the tunnel and all was quiet-except for little clawed feet echoing behind me. The mother walked slowly and gracefully in front, while the little pup stumbled along and tripped here and there, behind us. About the third time she fell she didn’t get back up. I stopped and turned around, she was just lying on the tunnel floor, and she looked up at me with begging eyes. I smiled and scooped her up in my hands. She didn’t move the rest of the way there. The mother stopped and closed her eyes. She blew on a rock and a puff of smoke rose in the air, and then light. Flames all around the room had been lit. It’s a circular room, with carvings and paintings all over the walls. The mother-wolf walked directly across to a part of the wall that has a picture of a wolf on it. From where I was standing the picture towered over me and the wolf-mother. She jumped onto her two back legs and placed her front paws on two carvings of wolfs paws. She turned her head a little and jerked it for me to come. I walked over slowly with the tiny pup still in my hands. Close up I see that the wolf is just an outline, inside the lines are pictures of hills and mountains, rivers, valleys, trees, and inside the eye of the wolf is a castle. To me it looks as if it’s a map, but who could have done this? Surely the wolves don’t know how to write. The mother-wolf pushed off the wall and set her front paws back on the cool ground. It was a chilling temperature already, and then she blew on the tail of the wolf drawing. It turned an icy color and kept going along the outlines of the wolf. By the time it had finished the outlines, it begun on the inside of the wolf. The entire picture had turned the color of the wolf pup that was in my hands. The only thing that was left the color of the wall was the eye, with the palace in the center. I heard footsteps and turned to see Michael coming in from the tunnel. He smiled and morphed into a wolf, again.

The mother-wolf walked over to him and sat on her hind end. Michael did the same and they both closed their eyes. I just watched them, and jumped with the first movement was Michael opening is eyes. The mother-wolf opened hers as well and turned to leave. Michael walked to me and changed back into a human.

“This room is full of her family’s history, and also their futures. This wolf drawing that you see is a picture of the wolf that will set Iphigenia back on its course of greatness. Ever since the Duchess Adilet has gone missing Iphigenia has been slowly plummeting into oblivion. This picture you see drawn here,” he indicated the wolf picture, “Is the very wolf that will bring Iphigenia to power once again. This picture,…is the very wolf that you hold in your hands.”

I looked down at the bright white pup in my hands. This little runt was to put an entire country back on its feet? She turned her head to stare at me. Her silver eyes burned intently into my own.

“So, what you’re saying is…this little wolf-pup is supposed to replace the Long Lost Duchess?” I asked.

Michael shook his head and laughed, “No, not replace, justify. Not only so, but she will help you find your mother.”

I tore my eyes away from the pup, “Find her? But no one said that she is alive. How do you know?”

Michael ran a hand through his hair, “I don’t know, I can only hope, and believe with all my strength that you may find a real family and be truly happy.”

I smiled and stretched up on my toes to give him a kiss on the cheek, “Thank you Michael, it means a lot to me for you to want only my happiness.”

He blushed under his deep brown skin. I smiled at him and waited awkwardly for something to say. The wolf-mother reappeared and whined. Michael changed into his wolf form and bounded out the entrance. I stood to look at the carving on the massive wall. The wolf was still a slick white color, and the outline of the palace was fading from a red, to blue, green, and a glowing black, pink…

A snarl came from the tunnel entrance and then someone called my name, “Taika! Get over here! You have to see this, hurry!”

I turned to see Castor and Michael standing behind me. I stood there wondering how long they had been trying to get my attention. Michael was never rough with me, not even in dog form. Feeling sort of stupid, I walked out of the circular room with my head down and leaving the gleaming prophetic wolf drawing after me.

I carried the little pup all the way back to the cave. When we arrived at the cave, one of the most beautiful smells filled the air. I can’t describe it; it’s like a mix of wild berries and a Japanese Blossom. The scent is amazing, the best I’ve ever smelled. The wolf pups were cowering in the corner, the wolf-mother standing guard over them. I looked at Castor and asked what was going on.

“Legends of the Auberon say that before the fairies have a duel, the air fills with this scent. No one knows where the scent really comes from, but the Iphigenians are very superstitious.” He informed me.

“Oh, so…why are the Auberon dueling?” I wondered aloud.

“Most likely, entertainment, but there could be many possibilities according to the legends.” Michael said.

“Like what?” I asked.

“Well, one Auberon could be searching for a mate.” Michael said.

“Or, it’s very possible that they could be…oh I don’t know, not real!” Castor exclaimed.

Michael looked down at the ground, “Possibly…” he murmured.

The puppy squirmed in my palms-I had almost forgotten she was there.

“Lujayn, calm, serenity…” Michael whispered.

I stared at him for a moment, “What did you call her?”

Michael looked at me stupidly, “Her name…did you not read the prophecy in the back room?”

“No, actually I didn’t see it.” I replied.

“Well now you’ll have a chance, we have to get out of here.” Castor said.

Lujayn nibbled on my thumb and whined pitifully.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

Michael grabbed my chin and turned my head towards the cave entrance. Dozens of boulders were being flung from the mountain top.

“Come on, Taika!” Castor bellowed.

Michael picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. I think I gripped Lujayn a little too hard but she didn’t complain. We reached the circular room in less time than before, but the twists and turns are more prominent.

Michael set me on my feet again and apologized for being so rough.

"It’s fine, Michael, really." I smiled.

Castor ran his hand through his hair, "It seems that we're stuck."

I looked around the room. Ba'al, Anal, Castor, and Michael all looked very worried.

The wolf-mother sniffed the air and walked over to where I stood with Lujayn.

Lujayn jumped from my hands and landed squarely on the wolf-mother's back.

Michael laid his hand on my shoulder and said, "She knows of a way out, but Lujayn doesn't want you to leave."

I looked at Michael for a minute; he was looking at the wolf-mother. Mystery and wonder flowed through him; he was confused; that showed in his eyes. He licked his lips and asked the wolf-mother, "Are you sure? I know what the prophecy says, but...do you really feel that this is safe? After all she's only a pup."

“You can understand her? But…you’re not in wolf form.” I asked.

“Once I become attuned to her thought process and her mind pattern, I don’t have to change to understand her.” He explained.

“Well…I didn’t realize. So, what are you talking about?” I wondered aloud.

“She thinks it might be best for…for us to take Lujayn with us. How do you feel about keeping track of this pup on the journey?” he asked nervously.

I reached down and set my hand on the wolf-mothers muzzle, “I will take very good care of her. Thank you, for everything, your generosity will not be forgotten.” I smiled.

Lujayn clawed at my forearm, “No claws,” I said softly, “Be gentle.” I smiled even wider.

We followed the wolf-mother down another tunnel, she howled loudly and a cave wall disappeared and a light appeared at the end of a long tunnel. We reach the end of it, the wolf-mother had brought us to the other side of the mountain.

“Oh boy,” Michael whispered, “This could get interesting…”

I turned to look at him, “What could get interesting?”

“As it would happen, the wolf-mother is a transitional, also. All those times I changed back and forth, all that energy I wasted…and she could have turned human…yeesh…all that…” he trailed off.

The wolf-mother stood on her hind legs and howled. She morphed into a beautiful woman, long red curls that bounced as she shook her head.

“I’m so sorry,” she said in a strong voice, “It’s been so long since I was in human form.” She smiled shyly.

“Lujayn,” she continued, “Dear, are you comfortable with these people.”

Castor looked offended so she said, “Oh, I mean no offence; I just need to know if she is okay with leaving. She is the only one of my pups that is not a transitional, the rest are not old enough to phase yet, but she…well she never will. I worry about her.” Her beautiful papery face crumpled in pain.

“What is your name?” I asked.

“Aamina Amna, it means; ‘feel safe, in safety.’” She smiled a little.

“It’s very pretty, and Lujayn means…?” Michael asked.

“Lujayn is a special pup, her name is the only one that doesn’t have something to do with her destiny, Lujayn means silver, and her full name-Lujayn Amna-means silver of safety. Basically saying that, her safety is the best thing for all of us, kind of like a silver lining, of a bad situation.” She elucidates.

“How does that elude from her destiny?” Castor asked.

“The other of my pups all have a definition of their personality, what they will become when they grow up, whether they will stay a wolf and mate, or stay human, or even in the rare case, become like Michael, and change for protection of others and one’s self.”