Betrayed

Chapter 10

"Gabby, are you ready?" Matt called from another room.

I pulled on my shoes and looked in the mirror. I'd had a shower, done my hair and makeup and I felt almost human. I didn't look too bad either if I did say so myself.

I grabbed my purse and walked out to Matt.

He smiled at me. "You look good."

He didn't look so bad himself, I thought following him out the door. God, what was I thinking? Well he was an extremely attractive man, I couldn't deny that. I was just being human, he was undeniably good looking.

We got in the car, driving and chatting on the way, it was nice, just talking, talking about anything but Brian and when we arrived it was nice to see we were at my favorite Italian restaurant.

"We thought you might enjoy it." Matt told me, as we walked inside.

"This is perfect, thank you Matt."

It really was sweet that Matt, Sally and Arin had thought brining me here would make me feel better and I had to agree with them, I already felt better, getting out of the house.

We spotted Arin and Sally already seated and as we headed over Matt placed his hand on the small of my back, guiding me gently.

Sally got up and hugged me. "How are you Gabby?"

I hugged her back. "I don't really know." That was true, I still felt numb, shocked.

We sat down and before I could do anything a glass of wine was placed in front of me. I took a sip, I was going to enjoy tonight, I would make myself enjoy it. I needed to enjoy it.

And I did enjoy it, we ate, we chatted and I really was enjoying myself, well right up until we were about to order dessert.

I was sitting there, looking at my menu because I couldn't decide what I wanted, there was just so much to choose from, I kind of wanted it all.

"Fuck." I heard Matt say softly.

I looked up at him, he smiled at me then looked over my shoulder, frowning.

"Gabby." Someone called out.

That voice. I'd recognise it anywhere.

"Baby."

Fuck. Seriously? What the hell was he doing here?

Matt stood up. "Brian, what are you doing here?" That was a good question.

"I've come to get my girlfriend." He slurred.

Great he was drunk. Actually he was very drunk.

"Go away." I said quietly. I didn't want to do this, not here and not now.

Brian suddenly dropped to his knees next to me, grabbing at my arm. "Gabby, baby, you have to come home, I can't live without you."

"Now is not the time." Matt hissed at him while Sally and Arin shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

"I just want her back." Brian told him, glaring.

I looked at Matt. "Please take me home." I just wanted to get out of here, he'd ruined my night.

I stood up quickly and Brian did too.

"Home?" He asked, with a look of disgust. "What, his place is home?"

"Just stop." I hissed, grabbing his hand and removing it from my arm.

"Stop, stop what?" He growled at me. "Stop this?" And he waved his hand around, indicating to our dinner.

"Enough." Matt snapped, grabbing my hand. "Go and sleep it off."

He really needed to sleep it off.

Matt pulled me towards the door and I followed, I just wanted out of there, I wanted to go now.

"So, what." Brian yelled after us. "Your fucking him now?"

Oh god I wanted to die. Who the hell was he to throw accusations around?

"Jesus." Matt whispered under his breath, but we kept walking, ignoring him.

"YOUR FUCKING HIM NOW." He yelled again.

Thank god Matt didn't stop, he led me to the car, driving away as soon as we got in, leaving Brian yelling on the sidewalk.

"You okay?" Matt asked, once we were on our way.

I shook my head. I wasn't alright, I didn't know if I ever would be again. How was I meant to be alright?

"Oh Gabby, I'm so sorry." He said softly, reaching over and taking my hand.

I entwined my fingers with his and closed my eye's.

Why was he sorry? It certainly wasn't his fault? Brian could only blame himself.

Thank god for Matt.