Betrayed

Chapter 12

I pulled into the drive. It was the end of my first full week back at work and I was tired, but I was happy, happy to be back, happy to keep busy and get back to feeling semi normal.

I grabbed the groceries out of the trunk and headed inside. I'd planned to cook dinner for us, no more moping around, I was going to start doing things around the house. Matt had done enough for me, it was time I started giving back. So tonight I was going to cook a nice dinner.

Matt and I had gotten into a good routine, living together and I had to admit, it felt nice sharing with him.

"Matt." I called out, putting the stuff on the bench after I'd let myself in.

"Out back." He called.

I walked out the back and stopped.

Matt and Kate were sitting at the table, obviously talking, looking pretty fucking cosy to I might add.

"Hey Gabby." Kate said smiling and it was fake smile, a sly smile.

She was all dresssed up, in heels and a tight red dress and I looked like and ogre next to her. I would kill for her height and figure, god why was I so plain?

"Hey, long time no see." I mumbled, shifting uncomfortably.

"Yes, it has been awhile." She said and still she wore that horrible smile.

It felt a little awkward, I was pretty sure I'd interrupted something. It was the way they were sitting, obviously talking about something important.

"So anyway, I was going to make dinner tonight." I said to Matt, looking at him.

"Sorry Gabby, I should've told you." He said frowning. "Kate and I are going out tonight."

Oh, well then. I knew when I wasn't wanted.

"No, that's fine, I'll just do it another night." I mumbled, turning to go back inside. "Carry on."

Carry on for fuck sake, I thought walking back inside, I was such a fucking dork. Carry on. Jesus.

I grabbed the groceries and started putting them away loudly. I mean Matt didn't have to tell me he was going out tonight but it would've been nice if he had, it was the polite thing to do.

I went into the bathroom and had a shower, my mood was now bad and when I came out Kate was sitting there, still wearing that fake smile.

"Matt's just getting ready." She told me as I took up my regular position on the couch.

I looked at her and nodded. I noticed she still had on her engagement ring. I guessed they were working out their problems. I guessed that was good, even though I couldn't stand the bitch.

"Sorry about Brian." She said.

"Me too." I said shortly.

I didn't feel like talking to her, her presence annoyed me and I sure as hell was not discussing my cheating boyfriend with her of all people.

"I'll be here if you need me Gabby." She told me and it sounded so fake.

I was pretty sure I didn't need her. I was pretty sure I'd never need her.

Matt came out so I didn't answer her. I looked at him, he looked extremely handsome, Kate was lucky to have a sweetheart like him. I hoped she realised it.

"Ready?" He said to her.

She smiled and stood up and I looked her up and down again, the bitch.

"See you when I get home." Matt said to me.

"Nah, I'll be in bed." I said shortly, not looking at him.

"Oh okay." He mumbled and I listened as they headed for the door.

They left and I sat there. I didn't know what to do but I knew what I had to do.

If Matt and Kate were back on they certainly wouldn't want me hanging around.

I got up and grabbed my laptop. It was time for me to find my own place. There was no way I could exist in the same place as Kate. For some reason I didn't like her, she was sneaky and she was sly.

Yep, I was moving out.