Betrayed

Chapter 3

"So where are you going?" Brian asked walking in and looking at me.

I was in the bathroom putting on some light makeup, getting ready to go out.

"Shopping and lunch." I told him, looking back at him in the mirror.

"How long will you be?" He asked, scratching his nose.

I put down my mascara and turned to him, frowning.

"Why does it matter?" I asked.

"Oh, it doesn't." He said pulling me into his arms. "I'll just miss you."

I smiled and kissed him. He could be so sweet when he wanted.

"You'll be okay." I whispered and of course he would.

"I don't know." He murmured, kissing my neck.

"Stop." I said lightly pushing him away. "Sally will be here in a minute."

"Later then." He said kissing me deeply.

"I'll hold you to that." I murmured and I would.

"I hope so. Now go, have fun." He kissed me lightly again, gently slapping my ass.

I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs and just as I got there I heard a knock on the door.

Perfect timing I thought, opening the door to Sally, who was looking perfect.

"Let's go." She said, smiling at me.

We got in her car and headed for town. Her car was fabulous, Arin had brought it for her as a wedding gift and it was magnificent.

"So who's coming?" I asked her, meaning lunch.

"You and me toots. That's it." She told me.

"Really?" I asked, wondering what everyone else was doing.

"Yeah, the other's were busy, and Kate." She said her name distastefully. "Is too busy going on about her wedding so I may have accidentally forgotten to invite her."

I laughed, Sally despised Kate. She thought she was fake and I had to agree with her, she was fake, really fake.

"So you don't approve of the engagement?" I asked her, already knowing the answer.

"God no Gabby, not at all." She said pulling a face. "I think Matt could do so much better."

I had to agree with her there."Yeah, I agree, I think Matt could do better but if he's happy."

"No more Kate. Let's just have fun." She said pulling a face.

I agreed. No more Kate.

We spent the morning shopping, spending more money than we probably should have, then we found a nice place for some lunch, sitting down, getting comfortable.

"So." Sally said after we'd ordered. "Are you and Brian ever going to?" And I knew this question was coming.

I laughed. Ha. Arin and Sally were getting married next month, but Brian and I, I doubted it. It was never going to happen.

"Who knows." I mumbled. The subject pissed me off, I wasn't going to lie.

We'd been together the longest but marriage wasn't Brian's thing, well apparently anyway.

"Are you happy with that Gabby?" Sally asked me softly.

"I have to be." And I did.

I loved him and as long as we were together I didn't care. Well I didn't care much anyway.

Our meals arrived and we ate and chatted, talking about a bit of everything, but especially her wedding. I was a bridesmaid and I was nervous as all hell about it, I'd never been bridesmaid before and it felt a little daunting.

"So are you right for the final fitting next week?" Sally asked.

I was about to answer when my phone interrupted us, chirping it's message signal.

I glanced at it. It was a message from an unknown number.

I picked up my phone, opening the message.

I read it and I felt my stomach drop.

You need to go home now
Go straight home
Now

That was it. Nothing else. No name, nothing. Who the fuck was it from?

I pushed my chair back, feeling my heart in my throat. I quickly showed Sally the message and she read it, frowning.

Oh god, what if something bad had happened to Brian? What the hell could be wrong?