Betrayed

Chapter 4

"Give it here." Sally said grabbing my phone and frowning.

She looked at the screen, reading the message and then rereading it again.

"That's just fucking weird Gabby." She said looking at me, handing me my phone back.

I nodded in agreement. "I should go, just in case." I told her, and I wanted to, I mean what if something was wrong?

"Okay." She agreed. "But I'm sure it's fine."

We fixed up our bill and walked silently to the car, both of us thinking about the message.

"I wonder who it's from?" Sally said asked as we got in, doing up our seatbelts.

I shook my head, I had no idea who it was from but it was enough to make me worry. I was more than a little concerned.

"And how does this person have your number?" She wondered out aloud as she drove.

"Now that, I have no idea." And I didn't, it wasn't even a number I recognised.

She glanced at me while driving. "Stop worrying Gabby, I'm sure he's fine." She told me, reaching over and squeezing my hand.

I certainly hoped he was fine, but god, what if he wasn't?

We drove in silence, Sally holding my hand, until we pulled up to my house.

I looked at Sally. I was feeling a little a nervous and I guessed she sensed it.

"It's okay Gabby." She said opening her door. "I'll come in."

"Thanks." I gushed.

Oh god, I was glad she was coming, I had visions of finding Brian's murdered corpse, and god, what if I did?

The tone of the messaged frightened me. Go home now. It seemed so insistent. What was I supposed to think? I wasn't sure but I was thinking a million things right now, none of them good.

We walked to the door and I dug around in my bag looking for the key, my hands shaking.

Great, I couldn't find it. Where the fuck was it????

Finally I found it down the bottom of my bag and I pulled it out. I opened the door quietly and stuck my head in, listening, glancing around. I couldn't see anything untoward, but I couldn't see Brian either.

"Go in." Sally said pushing me from behind and I hesitated for a minute.

We entered the entrance and I put my bag down quietly.

"Well, where is he?" Sally asked me in a hushed voice.

I shrugged. I didn't want to make much noise in case there was a murderer or something in here. I didn't want to be the next victim.

Suddenly I heard a noise upstairs and looked at Sally, she nodded, she'd heard it too. It was soft, but it definitely came from up there.

"I'll go up, you stay here." I whispered. "In case something happens to me, you can call the police."

"Okay." She whispered. "But why are we whispering?"

"Shutup." I hissed, grinning. Why were we whispering? Maybe so we didn't die.

I headed for the stairs, taking a deep breath and climbed them quietly. I got to the top and listened, hearing a noise again.

What was that? I didn't know but I was pretty sure it was coming from our room.

I walked to the door, listening again and mentally prepared myself for anything I saw.

Here goes, I thought to myself, taking a deep breath and swinging the door open.

I stood there and looked, trying to process what I was seeing. It felt like forever but it was only a few seconds, maybe two or three.

Oh fuck, oh jesus. I didn't want to see this, I didn't need to see this.

I shut the door, turning and running back down the stairs as fast as I could.

"We have to go." I cried to Sally, grabbing my bag and opening the front door, not really waiting for her.

Thank god she didn't ask questions, she just followed me and got in the car and drove, it was only when we got a little way down the road did she pull over and look at me.

"Christ Gabby, what did you see?" She asked me, looking concerned.

I looked at her. I was shaking and crying and I didn't even realise it. And oh god, I think I was going to vomit.

"Brian." I sobbed, putting my hand over my mouth.

"Jesus Is he dead?" She asked me. "Was he murdered Gabby?"

I looked at her, trying to stop my crying, stop the shaking, shaking my head.

Oh no he wasn't dead but he soon would be. Once I calmed down I was going to kill the piece of shit.

Suddenly my phone started ringing and I looked at it. I wasn't answering it. There was no way I was answering that.