Betrayed

Chapter 8

I ended up putting on the stupid shirt, wondering why the fuck I smelt Matt's clothes, then I had a good look around the house. I'd been here plenty of times but I'd never really had a good look.

It was really very manly. Not much of Kate anywhere to be honest and I thought that was kind of odd. Our house had my girly shit everywhere.

Our house. It wasn't our house anymore. Brian had ruined that.

I sat on the couch. What was I going to do? I had my whole life planned, my life with Brian and now, now it had been thrown back in my face.

Shit, now I was crying again and that made me angry with myself, he didn't deserve my tears, he deserved nothing from me.

But I sat there crying anyway that was until I heard Matt's car pull up. I quickly wiped my face, sure he would be sick of my tears by now, but I stayed on the couch. I was comfortable.

"Hey." He said walking in. "I grabbed stuff that I thought you'd need, but honestly Gabby I have no idea."

"Thanks Matt. Honestly whatever you got will be fine." I didn't give a fuck what he'd gotten to be honest.

"I'll put it in your room." He told me softly.

My room....shit. Here I was staying at a friends place because my boyfriend was a cheating piece of shit.

"Gabby."

I looked around. Matt was standing there obviously waiting for me to answer a question I never heard.

"I'm sorry Matt, I wasn't listening." I might as well be honest with him.

"I just asked what you wanted for dinner." He said, repeating what he'd obviously asked.

"I'm not hungry." I really wasn't. How could I think about food when my boyfriend was a cheater?

He walked over and sat next to me. "I know but you have to eat. Leave it to me, I'll think of something." He told me softly.

I smiled and nodded. It didn't matter what he got I still wouldn't be hungry, but it was really nice that he cared.

"I'm going to have a shower." He told me.

I nodded again as he headed off to shower. I was just having trouble concentrating.

I needed to snap out of it. Matt had gone out of his way for me, the least I could do was be polite.

I got up and grabbed my phone, turning it back on. Eight million missed calls from Brian popped up and as I stood there looking at it it rang again.

Fuck it. I answered. I wanted to know what he had to say for himself.

"Yes?" I snapped.

"Gabby, baby, thank fuck you answered." He gushed.

Baby? He'd called me baby?

"Leave me alone." I was trying to sound like I wasn't upset when in truth I was blubbering like a baby.

"Gabby please, let me explain." He said.

What? What the fuck was there to explain?

"There's nothing to explain...." I snapped.

Suddenly a hand reached out and grabbed the phone, taking it from me.

"Leave her alone." Matt said hanging up. "Gabby, don't answer." He told me.

"I know, I just thought....." And what did I think, that maybe it had all been a horrible mistake even though iId seen it with my own eye's?

He nodded. "It'll be okay. Now go watch TV, I'll organise dinner."

I went back to the living room and sat on the couch. Matt hadn't given me my phone back but that was probably for the best.

I tried to concentrate on what I was watching but I kept thinking about how I was a 28 year old woman who's life plan had been shattered into a thousand pieces.

"Gabby. Gabrielle."

I looked up, Matt was standing there with a plate in his hand. He handed it to me, smiling.

Pizza. Pizza was okay. I could eat pizza.

Amazingly I was hungrier than I thought and I ended up eating two slices.

"More?" Matt asked me.

I shook my head. "Thanks but I'm full."

He shrugged and went back to watching TV, eating his pizza.

"Matt." I said softly.

He looked at me questioningly.

"Thanks again, honestly, I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't for you." And that was the cold hard truth.

"Gabby please stop. You can stay here as long as you want and make yourself at home. I don't mind at all." He told me softly.

"Well." I sighed smiling. "In a week you may be sorry you said that."

"Maybe." He said smiling back at me.

Gosh, he had such a nice smile.