Miss Marshmallow's

A Walk in the Park:

She had given me the fabulous top and skirt; quite inoffensive for public appearances, even among the minors and the elderly. I guess the zipper on the back of the top is kind of funny for a top, but it does remind me of that I still am wearing it. I am not nude, while I wear the top and skirt.

Of course my hooves had changed from purple back to gold when I exited the room, just as it reverted back to the original white as I walked out of the employees’ room. As I walk out of the room, I am now fully civil in appearance. None who saw me inside can recognize me now.

Naturally, I wear the suit she had given me; as I walk to the door out, and I keep it on as I exit the building. I would be stupid, if I did not wear the suit the entire walk home. Not that it had been all that far to walk, but that is beside the point. Had it been longer, I could have taken the subway.

Since it is still not too cold outdoors, it is natural to walk bare hoofed outdoors. While I guess it isn’t all that much of a shock, or surprise; but it feels quite nice, and even more so than I could remember from going to the store for my interview earlier. It is still comfortably warm and the sun is still fairly high on the sky.

“Clip, clop! Clip, clop! Clip, clop!” is the adorably cute little noises stalking me as I take one step after the other on my way home.

The sounds of my hoof falls are fairly distinct, which the differences from before isn’t easily pointed out unless you know me and remember what it did sound like before. The difference between the sounds of the steps are more distinctly different, based on the ground I am walking on; if it is earth, grass, gravel, asphalt, glazed tiles or tiles of stone. Even my mood, and how exhausted I am: should change the sounds I make as I walk the park.

The first part of the walk is on solid, smooth stone tiles, of course. From there it is public road all the way to the park. I do so love that park. It isn’t just the fact that the paths are laid with these beautiful smooth stone tiles, and the buildings are replaced by wondrous trees, like the Japanese Cherry, Beeches and Canadian Maple, but also the little details, like the streams of water and the grasses covering the rest of the park. Then there are all the beautiful seasonal flowers in bloom and decorative bushes, of course.

The streets of the city are crowded with people bustling all over the place. Every Pony is busy and stressed to the point of being stressed out. I like the tranquil settings and the mood it is instilling in the people walking the meandering paths of this park. Not that I care too much for the chirps of the birds, but just the fact that you actually can hear them. With luck, you can see a few bunnies hopping by, or even a few shy Deers by the corner of a field of grasses in the shelter of a few trees.

I stopped by the pond and sat down on a purple bench. I do enjoy taking a moment, sitting on this one bench and relax as I peer out over the water. I had always chosen this one Purple one, never any of the others. Even if they are ranging from the Red, to the Purple, with the Orange, Yellow, Green, Turquoise and Blue in between, aside from the Black, Grey and White. There are also the Gold, Silver and Copper coloured benches scattered around the park. If I had known it from the start and was loyal, or if I had just enjoyed the spot or the colour? Of course it is natural that all the benches got a fresh coating of paint each and every year, and then a second and third coat of clear, just to make them look new and fresh.

Even here, in the park; none lifted their gaze or even batted an eye. I guess I didn’t look different enough for them to bother. Besides, even the suit is fairly close to the norm in the city of the day. I guess it is why she gave it to me. It is a bit flashier and fashionable than my usual wardrobe, but it did not make me stick out.

She had given me the suit, a top and a skirt. The gift had been thoughtful enough, but I guess it is also marketing her style of clothes as well. These are the suits I was to work, selling. I have to be comfortable, wearing them; if I am to sell them to the general public, among Ponies in general.

I was in need of a job, and the money it was promising to provide. Yet, it wasn’t the pay that persuaded me to take the job at Miss Marshmallow’s, but the reputation of generosity she had been known for.

Miss Marshmallow, what a funny name. She is of course a white Unicorn, which would explain why she wanted us to look spotlessly white, and why I had a horn, when I am at work. At least, it is my understanding of the matter.

With the new job, I guess I could afford myself a few minutes extra at my regular purple bench, gazing out over the pond. While I had been enjoying it, all things must come to an end and I rose to my hooves and continued along the path towards my home.

While I am a girl at work, I can easily get away with wearing the top and the skirt as I walk home, but what if I had not been a girl? She could as well employ males at her store, assuming any of them would ask her for the position, I think. It isn’t as if I had considered gender or gender roles in general. I am a girl, but that doesn’t change what I can or want to do. Why should the gender change anything? For all I care, it shouldn’t.

I may not have seen men wearing top or skirt, but that doesn’t mean they can’t or don’t. I wouldn’t mind, and it doesn’t bother me. Girls are free to openly wear traditionally male clothes and take traditionally male jobs, so why not?

Of course I do love wearing top and skirt, and do enjoy wearing a dress from time to time. I can be seen wearing pants and tight suits as well, from time to time.

Right now I am seen wearing the top and skirt on my way home from my interview. I enjoy the warm weather and the slight breeze. I like bare hoof walking from spring, throughout the summer and all the way to late autumn as the leaves fall and the start of winter before the first snow. By then, I will require a pair of fashionably colour full boots. To be exact, purple. I love wearing Purple, just as I love to sit on this purple bench by the lake or a dam.

As I reach the edge of the park, I note that the path is once more regular street with fresh tar black asphalt. I guess that works too. At least it is new and fresh. As fresh as the asphalt could possibly be, that is.

Thankfully, I only need to walk a few blocks past the cottages at the outskirts of town before I reach my home. I have a timber facade cottage with the entrance of my home up front. Green grass is covering most of the yard, while I do have red Roses in full bloom at the moment at each side of the entrance.

I had chosen a fairly simple stonewall for the fence of my yard. Highly polished black stone. Minimal effort maintenance and still a fashionable enough exterior for both me and the Ponies walking by. Of course, it is high enough to ward any driver from accidentally sliding into my yard, just as it is keeping the snow from the street out as well.

I had opted for what I found the obvious choice; the Canterlope, an entire herd tends to the grasses and trims the lawn for me quietly throughout the day. Naturally, I do feed them in a small shed behind my home too, just to make certain they are not starving or by any other means doing worse than I could accept.

When I could not find a deep purple stone, the light pink was the next best option. Just like the stones of the fence, the path from the street to my door is polished to that high gloss.

Now I have a very distinct tone to each step, as I walk the length of the path to my door. I guess you could say that it is like music in my ears. Besides, I do enjoy how it feels under my hooves as I take each step and stop before the door. Unlocking the door and pulling it up, before I walk in and close the door behind myself. Finally, I am home, at my very own place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edit: 01

Oh!