Emergency Room

Chapter One: Emergencies

Dr. Christopher's P.O.V

It is a busy day at the hospital, everyone is walking up and down including me, I’ve just walked out of a surgery, it got complicated but thank God I knew how to handle the situation, I was in my way to the reception but there was a rush in the hallways, nurses running in and out of a room, the only time when you see that kind of rush is when someone is in the edge of dying, I hope everything is okay in there. There are a lot of people in reception; I was trying to find my patient’s family.

“Family of Samantha Rodriguez” I said.
“I’m her sister” a girl in her mid-30’s said as she walked towards me.
“I come to tell you the surgery was a complete success; you’ll be able to see your sister soon”
“Thank you so much, Dr. Collins”
I just smiled at her as I made my way towards my office. Once there, I started to order everything since my desk and everything was completely a mess and I had an appointment for later. My phone rang, making me know I just received a text…usually I never answer texts when I’m at work, but it was a colleague of mine.

Dr. Raul Jamison: Are you busy?
Me: Just cleaning my mess, why?
Dr. Raul Jamison: Is there a way you can rush yourself to room 355
Me: Sure, I’m on my way.
Dr. Raul Jamison: Okay.

I made my way towards room 355, the same room from which nurses where rushing. I walked in to find my colleague looking down at the girl in the bed, she looked about 21, many parts of her body were bruised, it seems Dr. Jamison also worked on some stitches, she had a busted lip and a purple eye and I don’t even want to imagine the rest of the damages.

“What happened to her?”
“She was beaten up”
“Who did this?” I asked.
“We have no idea” he said. “And no family or friends showed up”
“Do you have a name? Her age?”
He shook his head, “Nothing and she’s in coma”

I assumed that by the tubes and the life support machine.
“I have no idea of when she’s going to heal completely neither. She had a broken leg and arm, a serious concussion, well let’s say the thing is complicated”
“Are you sure she was beaten up?”
He nodded, “Everything about this is evident”
“If no family appears, what should we do?”
“That’s what I wanted to ask you” he said as he looked at me.
“What?”
“You’ve been in this hospital more than I had and I bet you know what to do”
“Well, in other cases, they had cut the life support” I said.
“We can’t do that, we must save her”
“I know, Raul but we can’t do much…who’s going to pay her treatment?”
“Is that even important?” he said. “Chris, just think…someone out there is trying to find her, someone out there wants her alive and the bastard who did this to her, has to pay”
He was right; I looked down at the girl. She was beautiful, I bet she has a boyfriend if I’m not mistaken, I hope she waked up soon, we need to know what happened to her.
“I’ll pay her treatment” I said.
“You will?”
I nodded, “Anything to see a patient okay”
“Thank you, Chris…God will pay you this, I’m sure he will”
I smiled as he walked out of the room, I looked down at the girl again and she looked fragile, dead…the police must start some investigations but she’s the principal witness so there’s not much to do while she’s in this condition. I left the room and made my way back to my office.

“Hey, you busy?” asked Nurse Angela as she appeared in my door.

Angela had been hitting on me for months now, she had assisted me so many times, but I’ve never had a love interest in her, but she clearly has one on me. Currently, I’m single, I haven’t found what other call ‘my other half’ and I doubt I’ll ever do, I barely have time for myself out of the hospital, I don’t socialize much and of course I don’t want to have a relationship with someone of the hospital.

“Just cleaning up” I said.
“Need help”
“Not really”
“Heard you’re going to pay the girl from room 355 treatment” she said.
I nodded.
“You have a good heart, Dr. Collins”
“Thank you Angela”
“And do you know anything about her?”
I shook my head, “Only that she was beaten up”
“People can be cruel, don’t you think?”
“Yeah, they can be” I said. “Can I ask for a favor?”
“Sure”
“Will you watch after her? You know make sure she gets everything she needs in time”
“Sure” she said. “Anything for you and to help a patient”
“Thank you Angela, I owe you this one”
“Let’s say we’re even” she said as she walked out of my office.

Angela is a great woman, she deserves the best and I don’t think I’m the right guy for her. Eventually I know I’m the right guy for someone out there, but I wish I could know who because sometimes I feel I’m going to die single even though I won’t. I just want the right girl; I want someone to understand me, someone that doesn’t judges me when I spend my time in my books or at the hospital, someone who understand my work requires all of my time and attention, but of course, I’ll also give her love and attention. Anyways, I need to get back to work…the receptionist’s assistant appeared in my door and said my patient was already here, I told her to let him in and she did as told.

3 HOURS LATER

It was finally time for me to go home. I picked up my stuff but before leaving I went to room 355 to check on the girl. Everything looked normal and Angela did as told, I need to thank her for that. I sighed as I walked out the room and walked towards the elevator which took me to reception, I walked towards one of the nurses that had a night shift and told her to look after the girl for me, and she said she had no problem with it. I really need to thank God for letting me work at hospital where we all help each other.

I walked out the hospital and towards the parking lot, I was desperately trying to find my car, someone needs to remember me to download that app to find my car…when I finally found it, I opened the door to the driver’s seat, left my think on the passenger’s seat and placed the keys in the ignition, I took a deep breath and started the car, I made my way home, I wasn’t desperate to get home and well NYC traffic is horrible but actually I felt relax stuck in here, call me weird and everything but I like it.

After half an hour of being stuck in the traffic I made it to the apartment complex, I parked my car, grabber my stuff, got out of the car, locked it and walked towards the building, I smiled at the doorman as he opened the door for me, I walked towards the elevator which took me to the third floor where my apartment is, I walked out the elevator and walked towards my apartment, I searched for my keys and unlocked my door. Once inside I left my things in the couch and walked towards my bedroom, search for my pajamas, reached for a towel and made my way towards the bathroom connected to my bedroom.

I took a quick shower, changed into sweatpants and decided to stay shirtless. I reached for my phone and decided to text Angela and thank her for what she did for me today.

Me: I really need to thank you after what you did

She text back instantly.

Angela: No problem, you know I’ll do anything for you
Me: Again, thank you Angela.
Angela: You’re welcome

Angela is great; I wish I could do something to really thank her everything she had done for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
First story in this site. I hope you like it :)