‹ Prequel: Always a Hero
Status: Comments=Faster updates

A Soldier's Love Never Dies

Peaceful Relaxation

As soon as I got home, I began packing. The only way I knew how to get my head back into focus was to go back to North Carolina. I wasn't sure if I should go back to Bethel after chasing my father there but that's the only place I know. I drove all night and made it to my mother's house in the early morning hours. I had called her on the way to let her know of my coming so she was waiting patiently on the front porch as I pulled into the driveway.

"You could've came home with me after the funeral."

"I know mom but I wanted to keep working. Now I have to get away and just focus on getting my head back in the game." I said as I walked into the house Tsunami and Jethro.

"Nothing going right at work?"

"It's not that. We've solved the cases but seeing the pain and devastation on the families faces just bring me back to Jayla. Yeah I know I've seen a lot of death while in the service but...her death is sticking to me. Every family we help reminds me of Jayla and I get angry at myself for not doing more to find her. Then I get angry for not doing something more to investigate Dakota's death." I explained as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Honey, losing a child is something that takes time to move on from. It doesn't matter whether the child is 6 months old, 13 years old, or 21 years old. It affects you the very same way."

"Thanks mom. So is there anything around the house that needs to be fixed up? Maybe something you want built?" I asked.

"No. You need to sit down and relax and take it easy."

"Mom fixing and building is relaxing. Now tell me. What would you like done around here?" I said.

"I have been after your father for years to build me a picket fence in front of the house and down both sides of the driveway."

"That's what I'll do. I'll head to Lowe's when it opens up and get everything I need. I brought my own tools so I won't have go use his." I said not calling him by father.

"But before all that, you need a good hearty breakfast."

"And some coffee." I said chuckling. Tsunami and Jethro nudged my leg and looked up at me with their big brown eyes.

"I know and some play time with you boys." They barked in excitement making both me and my mother laugh. In a very strange way, it feels good to be back home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My mother's cooking has always been a blessing to me. I've tried the cooking of many different people but none of them can compare to hers. After breakfast, I hooked up a trailer to the back of one of the many trucks I has rebuilt from only a chassis. There's yet another thing that reminds me of Jayla but at least it's a happy memory. I remember the first truck frame I had bought at a scrap metal yard. Jayla was confused as to why I would buy something like that but once I explained how that single frame would be transformed into a piece of machinery capable of being driven, she couldn't wait for it to be finished.

Of course when my leaves were up and I went back to war, the unfinished truck stayed in the garage until I came back again. Jayla even started helping me with it. When we got it finished and it cranked right up like a brand new truck, she was so happy. A smile on her came giving her a sense of pride that she had a hand in making something run again.

"Here's some money for the supplies."

"You don't have to pay for this mom." I said but she put the money into my hand.

"You're the one who's gonna be out her breaking her back and working hard so I should pay for it. Besides you're gonna get paid anyways for this." I was going to protest again but those famous looks she had told me not to. I nodded my head and placed the money into my wallet which put a smile on my mom's face.

"I'll be back in a few minutes." I said as I opened the driver's side door. Tsunami and Jethro whined as they told me that they wanted to go with me. I sighed and moved away and they jumped inside before I got in.

"Be careful on the road." I nodded and cranked the engine. Tsunami and Jethro sat still in the passenger seat as I pulled away from the house and got on the road to Lowe's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Lowe's Hardware Store wasn't too long of a drive and when I found a parking space, we all went inside and straight to the wood working section. I grabbed a large rolling cart once I hard decided on the right kind of wood to use and filled it up. As I kept on stacked the long pieces of wood, a worker came over.

"Do you need any help ma'am?"

"Yeah. Could you please get me 2 more carts like this?" I asked politely.

"Of course ma'am. You sure are buying a lot of materials. What are going to build?"

"My mom wants a fence." I stated.

"That's a big job. Let me go get those carts for you then I'll help load this."

"Thanks." I said smiling. The mab left me with a single nod of his head and went into the back. He came back a few minutes later with another worker.

I pointed out which kind of wood I wanted and they stacked the 2 carts as full as they could get it before following us to the checkout. I paid for wood plus several boxes of nails and took the items out to the loading area. I commanded my boys to stay with them as I went to get my truck. I pulled the truck out of the parking space and pulled through the loading area where the men started putting the wood in the trailer. I watched the 2 strong men stack the wood as I put Tsunami and Jethro into the truck. I made sure to secure the wood down with come along straps before getting back into the truck.

"Please come again ma'am."

"You bet." I said cranking my engine up. I pulled out of the loading area and got back on the road to my mother's house to start working on her new fence.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you all think about this first chapter?

I really hope you all like it. It might be a little slow at first but give it time and it will speed back up again.

Always remember to leave me some Comments along with Subscriptions and definitely be sure to Recommend so other readers can enjoy.