‹ Prequel: Always a Hero
Status: Comments=Faster updates

A Soldier's Love Never Dies

Go Out

"I got it done mom if you wanna come out and look at it." I said popping my head into the house. Mom put down the dish towel and came out the front door. While I was building the fence, I did my best to keep mom inside the house the last 3 days. I didn't want her to see it until it was finished but on top of all that, I didn't want her to notice the little aide project I did just for her.

"Oh my Lord baby, this looks so great!"

"You haven't seen the beat part yet." I said taking her hand and leading her to the aide of the house. Her face lit up with joy as she saw the area I had fenced off for her future garden.

"I remember you said that you've always wanted a garden. Now you have a space for that."

"Oh Blayke! Thank you so much!" She exclaimed as she hugged me.

"I'm glad you like it mom. Well I better get on with washing the house."

"No no no. I want you to take the rest of the day off. Get out and have some fun." She said shaking her head at me.

"But this is fun to me mom."

"No. Go into town or go fishing. I know for a fact that the stripe are running in the river right now. I can look after Tsunami and Jethro while you're gone." She said.

"Are you sure mom?"

"Yes of course." She said smiling.

"I'll bring us some back."

"Oh I know you will. All your fishing gear is still in your room upstairs." She said. I followed her back into the house where we parted ways.

When I got to my old bedroom door, I pushed it open and couldn't believe that she kept everything the way I had it. My fishing rods were in the corner on their stand, my TV and bookshelf were in front of the bed, my closet was basically empty except for her Christmas decorations, an old backpack, and a pair or rubber boots. I think the only thing that had changed was the comforter that covered my bed. It used to be a camp set but now it has a giant United States Marine Corps emblem on it. Even the stuffed animals I cherished still sat at the head of the bed.

I changed from the pair of combat boots to the rubber boots in the closet before checking the line on my fishing rods. They hadn't been used in so long I figured I'd have to restring them but I didn't have to. I guess my father must have used them. The next thing I checked was my tackle box decorated in Marine Corp emblems and confederate flag stickers. All of my lures looks as if they had never been used. I closed the box and slid it into the backpack and I threw it over my shoulder. I took the rods from the stand and headed back downstairs.

"I'll be back before 5." I said.

"Catch us some big ones."

"You know I will." I said before walking out the front door. I looked back at the screened door as Tsunami and Jethro whined at me.

"Warten." I commanded holding up my hand. Tsunami and Jethro disappeared from the door responding to my command for them to stay. I put my fishing gear into the bed of the truck before getting into the driver's seat and heading down through the back fields to the river's bank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm glad mom had suggested that I take the day off and come down to the river to catch these stripe. Damn she was spot on about them running. By the time 4:30 came around, I already had a stringer full of good eating size striped bass. I casted out the line once more before I had to leave and with the strong current of the river I didn't have to reel as fast as I normally would. I bobbed the jig fly with a floater slowly letting the current straighten out my line. With one more gentle tug of the line the floater went under and the tip of my rod bent letting me know I had hooked one.

The stripe put up a hell of a fight which told me it was bigger than the rest. I fought with the scaled creature and drug it onto the bank. I was right about it being big. The hybrid stripe tested the 15 pound line. The fish cams in at 15 and a half pounds. Mom will be damn happy with this catch. I took the treble hook from its mouth before stringing it on the line. I look the stringer of fish to my truck and placed it on the bed with my gear. I went back through the fields and honked the horn letting mom know I was back. I turned off the engine as mom came out of the house with my boys.

"Catch any keepers?"

"I got you a whole stringer full of them plus a 15 and a half pounder." I said as she came over to the truck.

"Wow! Is this one of the hybrids?"

"Yeah. Do you want me to clean them for you?" I asked.

"No I can do that. You have the rest of the day off remember?"

"I know mom. Do you need anything when I go into town?" I inquired.

"No. Oh here I almost forgot." Mom reached into the pocket of her apron before bringing out some cash. I counted the bills and it was a little over 300 bucks.

"Mom I can't let you pay me this much just for building a fence."

"I want to." She said.

"At least let me give you back a hundred."

"No ma'am. You worked hard to earn that money
I want you to spend it any way you please." She said shaking her head.

"Alright mom. I'm gonna go take a shower before heading to the VAC."

"I'll get to work on cleaning these fish." Mom said grabbing my catch while I got my gear. I watched Tsunami and Jethro sniff the fish as she carried them into the proch where the outdoor cleaning station stood.

One of the fish whipped its tail hitting Tsunami in the nose and making him shake his head. He groaned in annoyance making mom and I laugh as I went into the house. Once I got back up to my room, I put my fishing gear away and laid out my Dress Blues on the bed before going into the bathroom connecting with my room. I turned on the water letting it warm up as I stripped off the fishy smelling clothes. I looked at the scars that riddled my body in the mirror. They weren't bad looking but were visible enough to remind of the reason I was in a coma for 19 days. I ran my hand over the scarred bullet wounds covering parts of my neck, arms, chest, and stomach. Im lucky to even be standing here alive and well after being shot 12 times. If it wasn't for Shaws, I probably would've died.

I stepped under the spray of warm water letting it cascade down my body. The soap dug into my pores pulling out the dirt and sweat from fishing all day. The shampoo and conditioner made my short jet black head of hair silky soft and smooth to the touch even though it was wet. I rinsed off my body and turned the water off before stepping out of the shower. I wiped the fog from the mirror and secured the large towel around me. The warm blowing air from the hairdryer offered up goosebumps all over my skin making me shiver.

I left the bathroom brushing my dried hair as I went to the bed. I left the towel fall to the floor before dressing into my uniform. I pinned my medals to my chest along with the Medal of Honor pin. I gave Jayla my replica medal that goes around my neck. The real one will be placed on me when my time in this world is done. I checked myself in the mirror one last time before grabbing Tsunami and Jethro's vests with their medals already on them.

"Tsunami, Jethro Kommen und Setzen." I said and the ran over to me before sitting. I strapped the vests onto their bodies before attaching the leashes to their collars.

"You still look so beautiful in that uniform."

"Thanks mom. I won't be gone too late." I said standing upright.

"Just in case you lose track of time, there's a key in the flower pot beside the door." I nodded and she hugged me again.

"Have a good time."

"I will." I said. I led my boys out to my Challenger where they immediately got into the backseat. I cranked the engine and turned up my radio before hitting the blacktop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When we got to the VAC in the next county, I parked fairly close to the building. I had to show my military ID at the door before the man would let us enter. I looked around the place seeing the veterans from different wars as I headed to the bar. I took a seat a d the bartender came over.

"What can I get you Captain?"

"Wild Turkey straight please." I said politely. He took a glass from under the bar before filling it with the brown liquor. I pulled some dollar bills from my wallet to pay.

"Put your money away ma'am. We don't charge Medal of Honor recipients."

"Thanks." I said downing the Bourbon. The burn was almost soothing.

"How long have you been out of action?"

"Almost a year." I said as he filled the glass again.

"I was a Marine in Desert Storm. How about you?"

"Marine Corp of course. I was in TD Helmand Province." I said downing the drink again.

"I've heard horror stories about that place. Is that where you got the Shepherds?"

"Yes sir. The area was getting hot so headquarters issued the beat soldiers with them. I took on 2 to prove the brass wrong." I explained.

"I guess you showed them. They are very well behaved."

"That they are." I said nodding. The bartender reached under the bar again and brought out 2 milkbones. My boys looked at me for approval and I nodded my head. They jumped up on the bar accepting the gift.

"Is there any entertainment tonight?"

"There's a local band coming on in a few minutes. Would you like something to eat with your Bourbon ma'am?" He said pouring the liquor into my glass again. I nodded and he gave me a menu. The first thing to catch my eyes was a steak and potatoes meal so that's what I got.

I slowly sipped on the alcoholic drink as the band came onto the stage. The band started playing and they were actually very good. When my food came, I ate and drank as I listened. My food was gone in a matter of minutes and the bartender took my plate. A man sitting next to me ask me to dance as a slow sounding song played. Again mom's suggestion to take the day off was worth it. I can't even begin to remember the last time I had such a good time
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!! I hope you like this chapter. The German words coming into the story and the previous one a came from Random House German to English English to German. Dictionary.

I though I would let you all know that I'm working on other stories and I'll be sure to let tpy know when they will be posted but don't be looking for them any time soon.

Anyways leave me some comments ta and let me know how I'm doing!