‹ Prequel: Always a Hero
Status: Comments=Faster updates

A Soldier's Love Never Dies

The Woods

It's been very great to spend time with my mother and doing things she can't do by herself. I've already spent a week fixing things around the house but that hasn't gotten me back to where I need to be. In 2 weeks I have to get back to DC to work and I think getting away from this house is what I need to do.

"Hey mom? Is that cabin Dakota and I started building together still at the south end of the property?" I asked as I walked into the kitchen.

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"I think it would be best if I stayed out there for the remainder of time I have left. With having to go back to work in just 2 weeks, I don't think I'm focused enough to return." I explained.

"You don't have to go all the way out there just to focus do you?"

"I think being is alone is what's best." I said nodding my head.

"How will you eat?"

"I'll get some supplies from the store before I head that way. I have to get lumber anyways." I said.

"Honey if you think that's what you need to do, then I support your decision. Just make sure you atop by on your last night to have dinner with me."

"I will mom." I said patting her shoulder before leaving the kitchen. I went upstairs and began packing up my last 2 weeks worth of clothing. I know mom will wash the clothes I've already worn while I'm gone.

I slipped on the combat boots and took my duffle back down the stairs where Tsunami and Jethro laid on the living room floor. I grabbed their vests and leashes and got them geared up.

"Are you absolutely sure that this is what you want to do?"

"Yes mom." I said nodding as we left the house.

"Please be careful out there."

"I will." I said hugging her neck. Mom placed a kiss on my cheek before I let Tsunami and Jethro jump into the truck. I got in and waved goodbye to my mother as I headed to the store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After I left the grocery store with my 2 weeks of food, I headed over to Lowe's to get more supplies for the cabin. When I got to the wood working section the same man who helped me a week ago was here. Again he offered his services and I took them. I got all the supplies I needed, paid for them, and the man loaded the wood onto the trailer. I pulled away from Lowe's and headed back to mom's. Instead of pulling into the driveway, I took the back way into the south end of the property.

My tires kicked up the dirt on the old road until the cabin came into view. I parked the truck and let my boys out to do their business while I checked out the inside. Everything was right where it should be. A table with 3 chairs I had handcrafted as my first project was still in good condition for it to have been made while I was still in high school. I walked through the 3 roomed cabin making note as to what had to be fixed up. When I say 3 rooms, I'm being literal. So far there's only a bedroom, bathroom, and living room. I still have to put up the other 2 walls and build the counters and cabinets. I already know that a good portion of the counter is going to have a built in game cleaner. I'll most likely be putting that right next to the sink.

When Dakota had showed me thus clear space amongst the trees, our intention was to build thus place together and have it be a second home away from my mother's. Sort of like our own little romantic getaway except without having to spend a while bunch of money. I ran my hand over the carving I had done into the wood next to the fireplace.

Blayke and Dakota forever and always

"I miss him and my daughter more than my own life. I felt a slight nudge to my leg and I looked down at my boys as they sensed my nagging pain.

"It's alright boys. I know you miss Jayla too." I said as I gently stroked the soft fur on their heads. Tsunami and Jethro whined sadly and I calmed them by giving the 2 brothers their favorite toy. A pull rope.

Their tails wagged furiously as I threw it out the open door. They just about knocked each other over trying to get to the toy. As they began to plat and roughhouse with each other, I got to work building onto the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I wiped the sweat from my brow as I finished building the final wall of the kitchen. They day had turned to dusk and I called my boys inside where I refilled their food and water bowls. While they ate, I started on my own meal. Since I hadn't gotten around to building a barbeque pit, I took a grill grate and rigged it up in the fireplace. The fireplace in the living room gave off enough light so I didn't need to go outside and crank up the generator. I ate my thick cut of steak in silence as my boys slept on the wooden floor. The silence brought back a memory of Dakota and I.......

"Honey? Do you remember how you told me that you wanted us to have a place of our own away from your parents?"

"Yes I remember." I said as we walked hand in hand through the woods.

"Well I found a place here in the woods that's big enough to put a cabin on. It'll be tons of hard work but it would be something you and I can share."

"You want to build a cabin?" I asked curiously.

"Yes. I know you love working with your hands and the things you've made so far are beyond amazing. Like you said, making something with your own 2 hands is a more greater feeling than actually buying it."

"It will hard, backbreaking work but I can draw up some plans and see what you think about it." I said smiling.

"So that's a yes?"

"Of course it is Kota. You know I can't pass up the opportunity for a great challenge and what better way to challenge ourselves than by building a home together?" I said making him smile. Dakota brought me closer in his arms and slowly connected our lips in a passionate kiss.


He was so excited to see the cabin come up from the dirt and it showed that we were meant to be together because if we could work together on building a cabin deep in the woods in the hottest part of the summer and the coldness of the winter we could conquer anything life throws at us. I extinguished the fire before going into the bedroom with my boys. I laid down on the soft bed feeling the day's exhaustion. It didn't take long for me to pass into a deep and comforting sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I walked through the thickness of the woods with determination. As if I were searching or being drawn to a place somewhere amongst the trees. I pushed past the low branches until my feet touched a clearing. In front of me was the cabin. Wait. I'm supposed to be in there asleep. How the hell did I get out here? I looked around trying to remember but I couldn't. The door to the cabin stood wide open and I instinctively drew my weapon as I approached the door. The cabin was dark so I flicked on the flashlight attachment on my gun and scanned the room as I entered. A slightly pulsating light came from underneath the bedroom door and I pushed it open. The light blinded me and I covered my eyes. When the light dimmed, I couldn't believe my eyes. Dakota stood with his back to me as he stood over my sleeping form. He slowly turned and smiled at me making my weapon fall to my side.

"Hello Blayke." Dakota spoke holding out his hand. I took it eagerly and his touch felt so real against my palm.

"Am I dead?"

"No honey." He said chuckling as he took the gun from my hand and placed it on the night table.

"What are you doing here?"

"I felt the pain you have calling out to me. I had to come and make sure you were alright." He said caressing my cheek. I could already feel the tears beginning to well up in my eyes.

"Oh don't cry sweetheart."

"But I miss you so damn much." I said my voice cracking with my spoken words.

"I know. I've missed you more than life itself but you must listen. I don't know how long I can stay."

"What is it Kota?" I asked.

"Blayke, you need to let go of the hurt. I've been gone for so many years now and you deserve to have happiness in your life."

"How can I be happy when you and Jayla are gone?" I questioned.

"Oh come on Blayke. You're way stronger than that. You are stronger when you got injured in battle. I know because I watched over you. You were strong and determined to find our daughter. You have to be strong now. Letting go of all the pain will set us both free."

"How do I do that? I don't feel strong anymore." I said lowering my head. I felt Dakota's fingers underneath my chin and he raised my head making me look at him.

"You might not feel strong enough but you are and you always will be. I came to help you let go of the pajb and sadness. I don't like seeing it weigh you down. I know you always love a good challenge and this one won't be the easiest but I know you'll get through it. The memories we share will keep me alive and with you just like the memory of Jayla will. I'm happy that I've been able to reunite with my daughter and your time will come but until then you have to let us go. I'm not saying forget about us but keep the terrible memories from outweighing the bad. Keep the good memories close to your heart and that's where we'll always be." I wrapped my arms around Dakota feeling his loving embrace once again as silent tears rolled down my face.

"I must go now but remember what I said darling. I love you and Jayla loves you. Let go of the hurt and allow yourself to heal." Dakota said before planting a soft kiss to my lips.


I shot straight up in bed with my hand to my lips making Tsunami and Jethro lift their heads. I could still feel his touch on my skin and the kiss he gave me. It felt too real to be a simple dream. Dakota's words echoed through my head as I laid back down. Maybe he's right. Maybe I should just let it all go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for being so patient with me!!
This cold shit is really starting to get on my nerves more than anything.

Anyways please comment and let me know what you all think about it.