‹ Prequel: Always a Hero
Status: Comments=Faster updates

A Soldier's Love Never Dies

A Cry for Help

The months seemed to fly by after the incident in Jeremy Sparks' home and we've solved a dozen or so cases since then but from time to time I go back and look at the dead man's file. I wished there was something I could've done to prevent him from making his last stand a suicide by cop. When I returned to the Navy Yard from helping Gibbs and DiNozzo evaluate the crime scene, I had Ducky look at my bullet grazed arm. It did need a couple of stitches but other than that I was free to work.

We had worked tirelessly through the holidays that had come up. My mother was a little bit disappointed that I wasn't able to come home to Bethel for Thanksgiving but with Christmas a few days away, I'm bound and determined to be there. Speaking of Christmas, after coming to terms with the fact that there was nothing I could've done to resolve the situation with Jeremy Sparks I decided that if I couldn't help him then I would help someone else in need. Through the passing months and in between cases, I've been hard at work building toys for children with cancer at the children's hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. I want each of those kids to have something special to open on Christmas day to make their time a little more bearable. I know their one wish would be to bring their parents home but that's a wish I just ccan't grant. I do have one special surprise gift that's already in the process of being made and I'm sure the kids and parents will love it.

I stretched my arms above my head before glancing down at my watch. It's the middle of the day and we just wrapped up another case. I had a bit of paperwork to catch up on but that didn't take me very long to finish. I printed off a copy before placing it into the closed case file and putting it into the filing cabinet behind me.

"Blayke?" I turned around in my chair as someone called my name.

"Mom? What are you doing here?" I asked as I got up from behind my desk. Mom stood next to an older woman and a man that looked to be in his late 20s.

"Honey this is Olivia Rosland and her son-in-law Troy Chasely."

"Nice to meet you both. How can I be of service?" I asked shaking their hands.

"My wife, her daughter, was reportedly to have been killed in action about a month ago. A few days ago I received a phone call....from my wife."

"Your wife? The one who's KIA?" I questioned and he nodded.

"You see when they reported this, the only thing they had to go on was blood on her dog tags. They have never recovered a body."

"Agent Carrington, I recorded the voice on my answering machine. I'm a police officer and I'm trained to know voices. Her voice is completely clear just like mine is when I'm speaking to you." Mr. Chasely said and I helped him set up the machine so I could listen to the tape myself. He rewound the small tape before pressing play.

Honey I'm not dead! Please don't believe that I am. I tried calling my base but there was too much static on their line for my voice to be recognized. I was injured in the ambush and taken by the enemy before I could get to my squad. Please send help!"

The recording stopped and as he had said, the voice was very clear.

"You're absolutely sure that this is your wife's voice?" I asked and he nodded.

"And I'm 100% sure that's my daughter. Agent Carrington will you please help us? You're our only hope in finding my little girl."

"Of course I'll help but I need to run this by the team first." A smile came to their faces as I picked up my cell and dialed Gibbs' number.

"Gibbs, I think we may have a case that just came up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~Gibbs' POV~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I just finished getting a fresh cup of good strong coffee from a vender's stand outside of the building when my phone began to ring.

"Yeah it's Gibbs." I said answering my phone.

Gibbs, I think we may have a case that just came up.

"I'll be there in a second." I said ending the call as I stepped onto the elevator. The doors opened up again to the squad room where my eyes landed on Blayke and her mother along with 2 other people.

"Gibbs, this is my mother's friend Olivia Rowland and her son in law Troy Chasely."

"Hello sir ma'am. What's going on Blayke?" I asked after shaking their hands. Blayke quickly explained to me their reason for being here before playing the recorded message on the answering machine.

"So all you received was her dogtags? No body was recovered?" I asked and they nodded.

"Blayke call DiNozzo and McGee and get them back in here." I left then standing in the middle of the desks and took the short hike up the stairs. I ignored Vance's secretary and barged right on into his office. We can't waste time.

"Why do I even bother having a door? What can I do for you Gibbs?"

"A man and a woman came in here a few minutes ago claiming their KIA reelativ called them." I said.

"You think it's a hoax?"

"No I don't. The man down there is a respected police officer and had recognized her voice instantly." I said. Vance stood up from behind his desk and went down to the squad room with me as Blayke was beginning her case presentation.

"This is Maria Ann Chasely. Age 26. Marine Corp Sergeant stationed at Camp Leatherneck of the Helmand Province. Married to Troy Lewis Chasely age 26. Officer for the Virginia State Police. No children. Sergeant Chasely was reported as a KIA when her unit was ambushed during a routine patrol in the area of Sangin. The only thing recovered was her bloody dog tags. Her body has yet to be found."

"What is her Commanding Officer's name?" Vance asked.

"Colonel Issac Cooper."

"I'll get him on in MTAC. Good work Agent Carrington." Vance said before leaving the squad room. Blayke closed up the file and ushered it towards me.

"Rule 32." I said sitting down at my desk.

"Rule 32?"

"Your case, your lead." DiNozzo informed her which caused her to sport a slight smile. This is an opportunity to show not only Vance and me but the rest of the team that she can handle a case on her own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Blayke's POV~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My nerves are literally jumping inside knowing that I was going to be leading this team's investigation and the possible rescue mission of the Marine. As I walked up the stairs to go to MTAC, Gibbs was right behind me. I guess he wants to see how I'll do. I scanned my retina to open the door before walking inside.

"Director, Colonel Cooper is standing by."

"Patch him through." Director Vance ordered and the man popped up on the big screen.

"Colonel Cooper, I'm Director Leon Vance of NCIS. These are Agents Leroy Jethro Gibbs and Blayke Carrington."

"What can I do for NCIS?" He asked.

"We would like to speak with you about Sergeant Maria Chasely."

"What about her? What does NCIS want with a KIA?' He questioned seeming unfazed at the fact.

"Apparently Sergeant Chasely is not a KIA. Her husband received a phone call from her a few days ago."

"What was the message?" He asked. His facial expression was that of shock.

"She said and I quote, 'Honey I'm not dead. Please don't believe that I am. I tried calling the base but there was too much static on their end for then to recognized my voice. I was injured during the ambush but before I could get back with my squad I was taken by the hostels. Please send help.' End quote."

"This is news to me. When one of the Privates in her squad returned with the bloodied dog tags, we assumed her dead body was taken. If she is alive then we will do a search and rescue operation." He explained nodding his head.

"Sir if I may. Those kinds of orders may take days to authorize and we don't have that kind of time. I know how the Taliban operate sir. I spent many years in the Helmand Province. If she isn't dead now she will be soon."

"I understand that. Well I guess if shit has to be done you gotta do it yourself. Get yourself a team together and get your asses to Camp Leatherneck. I'll provide extra support out in the field." He said.

"They'll be there as soon as they can Colonel." The screen went blank as the video call was ended.

"You sure you want to go there Agent Carrington? Sangin is rough part right now."

"I know sir but I been there. I know that place like the back of my hand." I said.

"Gibbs, go with her. Agent Carrington. I hope you find that missing woman and bring her back home." I nodded and the Director left MTAC leaving me with Gibbs.

"So boss, who are we taking with us?" I couldn't help but shake my head and roll my eyes at the aging man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"No. There's no way you're being serious right now."

"Of course I am DiNozzo. You know I don't play around." I said sitting down at my desk.

"Why can't McGoo go?"

"He has to stay here and run the technical support shit with Abby." I said.

"Oh come on! I can do technical stuff."

"DiNozzo you can't even remember the password to your own e-mail account." McGee stated.

"That's enough from you Tiny Tim. You're not the one who's going to be out there risking his life."

"DiNozzo you're going to be in the safest of hands. You have 2 Marines her on the team plus you're gonna be surrounded by them in the field. As long as you listen yo me and do as I say, nothing will happen to you." I explained.

"I still don't know about this."

"Oh shit I forgot the little incentive." I said smiling knowing I would have him going.

"What incentive?"

"Well I just happen to have heard that your favorite dish in the whole world of Italian cooking is an authentic Calzone. Would you go with us with I made you one? From scratch?" I said and I could see his mouth watering.

"Any dessert?"

"Italian Baklava." I said and he groaned before melting right out of his seat.

"When do we leave?"

"In 3 hours. I was able to finagle you 3 seats on board a cargo plane to Kabul. From there you'll be escorted to Camp Leatherneck." Director Vance said as he stood on the balcony like area at the top of the stairs.

"We better get packing then. I'll meet you 2 at the airbase." I said before gathering up my shit and heading to the elevator with my boys. I held the door and Gibbs and DiNozzo got on and we took it down the to garage.

I walked out of the building and over to my car where Tsunami and Jethro immediately jumped into the back seat. I got behind the week and let the car come to life before driving away. I only have 3 hours until the flight takes off so I need to get everything done in a hurry. I have to bring this Marine home to her family before Christmas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Once I had gotten my shit packed in my old pack from the service, I put on Tsunami and Jethro's old vests before leaving the house to go to the airbase. When I got there, DiNozzo had actually beat me. He must really want the Calzone and Baklava. During the flight I caught up on some sleep but was awoken several time from the turbulence. I had forgotten what it was like to try and sleep on a cargo plane. When we landed a few minutes ago, Colonel Cooper's escort was waiting. The sun beat down on the Humvee making sweat drip from my head. Even after years spending my service in this hot as fuck desert I still haven't gotten used to the heat. The Humvee pulled through a gate entering into Camp Leatherneck. We grabded our things and headed straight for Colonel Cooper's office.

"Colonel? Agents Gibbs, DiNozzo, and Carrington to see you sir."

"Thank you Lieutenant. Dismissed." Colonel Cooper said saluing the soldier.

"I've enlisted the help of Sergeant Chasely's squad. They're going to take you to where the ambush occurred. Come with me." We followed Colonel Cooper from his office yo where Sergeant Chasely's squad was gearing up.

"Attention!" One of the men yelled as he spotted us. All the men and women stood at attention their hands raised in a salute.

"As you were. Marines these are the NCIS Agents you were briefed about. They'll be leading you all on this search. If this does turn out to become a rescue operation, I have been strict orders from the Commanding General that allows you to eliminate all hostels."

"Yes sir!" The men and women yelled in unison before saluing their commander.

"You guys keep gearing up. We hike out in 10." I said. It was a bit strange not to see their hands raised in a salute.

"Blayke? Captain Blayke Carrington is that you?" A voice called my name and it sounded so familiar. I studied the soldier's face before it hit me.

"Well I'll be a son of a bitch. How you doing Franks?" I said hugging him.

"I'm doing just fine ma'am. Finally got qualified for combat."

"I can see that and cut out that ma'am shit. I ain't your superior anymore. How long you been in the dirt?" I said.

"Almost a year now."

"You sure have changed a lot. Must be the scraggly beard you're trying to grow." I said poking him in the chin and he swatted at my hand.

"I still see you have Tsunami and Jethro. In all seriousness Blayke, I got your back."

"I got yours too man." I said clapping him on the shoulder.

"Here let me get you guys squared away." Franks turned and grabbed the automatic rifles and a few magazines before handing then to us. I grabbed some 45 bullets for my handgun and placed then into the pockets on my boys' vests. Once we got what we needed, we went to the front of the squad.

"Let's move out Marines!" I commanded and we left the base on foot to get to the ambush sight where Sergeant Chasely was last seen.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so sorry about the wait!! I wanted it to be longer than the other 2 I previously posted.

So how am I doing? Comments are appreciated!