Innocence

Part One - Candace Chapter 9

If I wasn’t so bored, I might not have been so into the contents of the book When Meeting a Vampire. I learned so many things about the author as I read on. I learned that he was male, and very old when he wrote this. It seems like he knew what he was talking about through most of it, but then again, I could be wrong. He made a lot of references to different things I don’t know about, and those sometimes confused me. Other than that, I love reading the little caption in the margins of the pages where so had written in their own little ideas or opinions about the book.

I wanted to go in the back and the journal from the author, but thoughts I should read the whole book before I went more in depth into the authors mind. In truth, this whole book was more like a journal than a novel or a reference book.

I moved to the library now, opening to page thirty, skipping the rest of the introduction to Night Hunters. I wanted to read about the good stuff.

Appearance

Night Hunters can’t blend into society no matter how hard they try. Their appearance is just too out there to even consider the fact that they are in truth, human. They are human in a lot of ways, but more so a monster or a vampire.

Night Hunters are the only kind of vampire that keeps their “fangs” and red/black eyes. It isn’t in their body to change that fact so they can blend in. They weren’t meant to blend into society.

Night Hunters do age if they want to. Most eventually do die from sun exposure, or human hunters, but they can die of old age. I’m not sure how it works, but when a vampire doesn’t want age and wants stay the age they are, they can stop the growth of cells, and almost freeze their body’s functions in time. The time limits on this maybe endless, or it may only last for a year or so.

Their eyes will be either a red color or a black color. The color of their eyes depends entirely on their origin of being. More to the north, their eyes will be red, and more to the south, their eyes will be black.

They can try to cover up the true color of their eyes to try and blend in, but they are so unnatural that it won’t work for long.

These vampires have a working heart, and are actually still living and breathing. Their skin isn’t as pale as the Sun Hunters, but it isn’t like a normal human beings either. Their hair is non existent. It all falls out and never grows back because those cells in their body don’t work properly.

The teeth are the thing that gives them away. All of them are pointed at the end, and two one inch fangs are found on the side of the mouth. These fangs hold venom that will infect their prey. It could either kill their prey, or infect them and transform them into a new Night Hunter.

The over all appearance of a Night Hunter may look like normal people from a far, but close up they are a menacing species of beings and shouldn’t be toyed with.


I laughed then, thinking of a Night Hunter in my mind. My imagination went wild, picturing a Night Hunter next to some nasty looking ghoul that I just made up in my mind.

I shifted the book I my lap, getting fed up with my cast. It made it hard to hold the book properly so it was lying in my lap, opened to the page I was just reading. I looked at the next caption and became instantly intrigued. Becoming a Night Hunter was next. This was section I could read over and over again.

Becoming a Night Hunter

There are three main ways to become a vampire; by birth, by bite, and by death. The second is explanation enough in and of itself. A vampire bites and feeds from a male or female, and whether it is the result of recurring feeding or one incident of feeding that led to death, he or she then becomes on of the undead. According to folklore from different cultures across the globe, there are numerous signs that a child is born a vampire, or that a corpse has become one after death. There are signs that one might give that they have been bitten and are turning into a vampire, such as shying away from religious talk, or items, lessening hygiene and foul breath, have newly begun to sleepwalk, as well as anemic tendencies.

The only way to born a vampire is if both the mother and father Night Hunters. Sun Hunters can not have any children because their bodies do not change in any way. Some beliefs that are untrue are dying before baptism as a baby is another possible way to turn into a vampire infant. There’s also being born the seventh son of a seventh son; but this can also be taken as a good omen as well. Some reasons fall on the mother; if she stared at a vampire, or did not eat enough salt while she was pregnant, her child might be born a vampire. Other reasons are curses, either after the baby has been born, or while still in the womb. Theses are untrue and shouldn’t be taken seriously. Vampirism is a virus, and cannot be given as a curse. The virus is held in the venom of a vampire’s saliva.

Once again, all of these myths and beliefs are untrue and shouldn’t be taken seriously. It is believed that one can also become a vampire if certain customs are not observed after death. In some areas of Romania it is believed that burying a corpse face up will result in vampirism, while others remain steadfast that the only way is to die as a vampire’s victim. Improper burial ceremonies, no burial, as well as shadows falling across a corpse, the wind from the Russian Steppe blowing over a corpse, even having a cat, dog, or other animal jump over the corpse has been believed to be a certain cause of vampirism. Some believe it is the way the person dies that makes the vengeful spirit of the vampire linger, such as those who died violently, with murders that went unavenged, or even death by drowning. In other cultures, the actions of others dictate the vampire change in a corpse; some believe that stealing the ropes used to bury a corpse will cause the dead to rise, while others believe that if the corpse has a sleepwalking brother, it will come back as a vampire.

All of these are just silly superstitions and should be discarded from a person’s mind when it comes to Night Hunters.

Abilities and Flaws

The abilities of a vampire are numerous, and naturally depend on what vampire is in what area, for one to know what kind of things they might be capable of. For example; many species of vampire are not know to be able to fly, however, the bruxsa in Portugal, the lansuir in Malaysia, and aswang in the Philippines all have the ability to fly. Other vampires native to cultures in different regions must first change shape to fly, which is but one more of their many talents. A vampire might turn into a dog, cat, bat, wolf, insects, and pests or rodents; anything to escape destruction. Many cultures believed that during the cremation of a vampire if you were to let even one maggot, or bug to escape from his corpse during the burning that he would have survived. Vampires also have the ability to defy gravity, in some cases, such as Count Dracula’s nimble talent of scaling walls like a spider, head down facing the ground.

To invade locked doors, or escape in tightly cramped areas, the vampire is able to transform himself into a mist, or vapor, so that he can travel beneath doors or through keyholes. Others believed that he was able to reduce in size or dimension, so that he could slip through narrow spaces. The vampire also possesses great mental and physical strength; if he is not able to hypnotize his enemy, he will surely have the strength of several men to defend himself. Some vampires have the power to control other animals, making them familiars or servants, while others are able to control the elements. Some believe that vampires are responsible for crop failure, and bad harvests. The Balkan people, among a few other cultures believed that a vampire could have intercourse with a human female, producing their dhampir offspring. Many cultures believed that vampires naturally possess eternal life, or at least live very long lives. In India and the Ukraine, some species of vampire stole human organs, while the Romanians believed that vampires caused impotence.

Despite the vampires many numerous strengths, they also have many weaknesses that render them destructible by man, or skilled hunters. For example, many cultures believe that a vampire is unable to cross over a threshold that they have not been invited into. Others believed that vampires could not cross over running water. European cultures maintained the belief that vampires must sleep during the day, which keeps them in a comatose state. The reason being for sleep during the day, is yet another weakness; vampires are unable to withstand direct sunlight. The vampire in many legends is vulnerable to Christian religious objects, as well as hallowed ground. Some cultures also believed that vampires must return to the soil of their native land in order to regenerate their powers, and to sleep. The other weakness is that vampires are unable to see themselves in mirrors.

Killing a Night Hunter

As long as there have been legends of vampires, there have been methods by which to either kill them, or protect oneself and family from them. Before there was Christianity, however, there was still legends of vampires; what then of the use of holy symbols and idols to stave off the visits of a hungry undead individual? Before Christianity it was believed among the Balkans, Slavs, and other cultures indigenous to Europe that vampires were practically obsessive compulsive in their need for order. Some ways to deter vampires would be hanging a tangled net on a gatepost, or sprinkling tiny seeds, or grain outside the doorway. It was believed that the vampire would become so busy counting the seeds or untangling the net that he’d forget his pray and become fixed on completing his or her task.

Other non-religious ways to fend off vampires is of course, garlic; either wearing it, or spraying a thin mist mixed with water in the air, keeping it near for the scent, over doorways, etc. Keeping holly placed around the house is another technique, as is also keeping a log of juniper in a home. Ringing bells are even said to keep vampires away, as well as placing mirrors around a home or on doors, and also crossing over running water. Holy water, the consecrated sacrament, crosses, eating blood bread, drinking blood brandy, or even burying wine nearby are also supposed to be protection against vampires.

Killing a vampire was accomplished by touching lead items to the gravestone of the walking corpse, beheading it, and/or hammering a stake through its heart. Cremating a vampire is also a surefire way to kill it, or piercing it with a blessed sword. Some Asian beliefs dictate that one can trap a vampire in its grave by sprinkling red peas, rice, roses, garlic, stones over where the body would lay in its grave. Others believe that immersing the vampire’s body in water will destroy it. Dhampir, -the children of a vampire and human union, –are believed to have the ability to cast out a vampire, by simply commanding it, as well as having the ability to see them when they’re invisible.


I set the book down on the empty chair next to me and sighed. It all seemed like a big joke to me. No one would never believe what was written in these pages. I sighed, getting up my seat.

I was getting hungry. Gloria or my parents hadn’t come to see me yet this morning, so I was bound to get a visit soon. It would be easier just to go down stairs and eat with them so they can see that I’m going to die just yet.

I can smell the food when I open the door; bacon and eggs wafting up to me. Something else id mixed in with the smells, but I can’t put my fingers on it.

My mom and Nathan are already seated at the breakfast table, chewing their food quietly. I go and join them at the table, still in my pajamas. “Morning.” I say, grabbing a pancake from the table.

No one answers me, and that makes me look up from my plate. Both of them are staring at me, my mom’s fork still raised in front of her face as if to put the food into her mouth.

I stare back, trying to figure out why they are so stunned by my presence.

“Are you feeling okay?” Nathan asks, his face still shocked looking.

I shrug. “I have a little headache but that is nothing I can’t handle.”

“Your arm?” he asks, glancing down at the black cast covering more than half of my arm.

“I try not to think about it too much.” I admit.

Nathan seemed to snap out of it then, going back his breakfast. “Sound like a good plan.”

I nod, shoveling pancakes covered in syrup and chocolate chips into my mouth. My mom is still staring at me like I am some alien from outer space that she has never seen before. Maybe I was someone she had never seen before. In one night—with my knowledge I might add—I transformed into a teenager that didn’t want to listen to her parents anymore. Yes, I use to be the most responsible teenager around, and I hated the way teenagers acted, but my mind set had changed.

I get why sometimes teenagers just have to do the wrong thing, in order to make the right decision about something else. But I was never like that before now. I had been the one that would schedule everything in advance, know what I was going to do day after day. I had a schedule for everything so I wouldn’t forget something important to me.

I just never got to be a kid. I grew up so fast I hadn’t known I was an adult in my mind at the age of twelve even though I was told countless times.

Somehow, I was able to back track myself into the new person I am now. I have mood swings that I never had before, I’m angry at Nathan every minute I think about him, and I am just waiting for him to tell me not to do something so I can go and do.

My mind has been altered and I am proud to say, that I think I’m turning into a bratty teenager girl.

Fantastic.

“Are you sure you’re feeling okay?” my mom asks, putting her fork down on the table.

I smiled, taking another bite of my food. When I swallow, I smile again. “I’m okay mom, really.”

She watches me take another bit of my breakfast then starts to eat her own.

I shake my head at the both of them. “Paranoid.” I say under my breath, shoveling yet another piece of pancake into my mouth.