Sequel: Falling Apart
Status: Completed! Sequel up now!!

Met Your Match

e l e v e n

"Darlin', I have a... special mission for you today," J told her one morning a few weeks later, coming down the stairs and kissing the top of her head as he passed her.

"Boy, do I hate the sound of that," she said, smiling at him and standing to kiss him properly. He laughed lightly and shrugged.

"It won't be that bad."

"I'll take no sides until you tell me how awful it is."

"I need you to go back to Neon Lights and put together the finance reports. I'd do it myself but I'm in meetings all day, and it needs to be done today because it's the end of the quarter," he told her, avoiding eye contact with her. He knew that was absolutely the last place she'd want to go, and he was right.

"Can't someone else do it?" she asked, knowing the answer. There's no way he'd trust anyone else with such a big task.

"Sorry, doll, but no," he said, finally looking at her. He stared at her for a moment and then kissed her lips. "I can send some men with you if you want," he said, and she scoffed, just like he'd known she would.

"I have more brains than any of them in my big toe. I'd be safer without them," she said, and he nodded.

"That's what I figured you'd say. I'm sure everything will be fine," he assured her, and she nodded hesitantly. He kissed her one more time before rushing out the door, off to who knows where.

Sighing, she went upstairs to change and strap on her guns. Ten minutes later, she was out the door, and twenty later she was pulling up to the club. She hesitated outside for a minute, really not wanting to go back in. She took a deep breath and forced herself to, going straight to the office without even giving anyone a second look.

Once in the office, she felt a little more at ease. She started gathering the reports and was almost done when there was a knock at the door. "Come in," she called cautiously, her hand instinctively resting on one of the guns strapped across her stomach. A man stepped through the door that she'd never seen before. She knew he wasn't on the staff because she'd interviewed all of them the last time she'd been there.

"Can I help you, sir?" she asked, and he flashed her a hauntingly familiar rotten smile.

"Actually, you can," he began, shutting the door behind him. She drew her gun and made sure that he saw her holding it. He smiled again. "See, you and your green-haired freak killed my brother. And you're gonna fuckin' pay," he said, drawing his own gun and pointing it at her. She could see the bullets inside the chamber glowing the same sickly green as the one his brother had shot her with. She dropped her gun onto the desk and raised her hands.

"I'm sorry about your brother, but it had to be done. He did shoot me first," she said, and the man laughed dryly.

"Yeah, and I'm sure you deserved it, just like you deserve this," he growled, shooting her in almost the exact same spot that his brother had. She fell to the floor instantly, and underneath the desk she could see his retreating footsteps.

"Fuck," she whispered, wrestling her phone out of her pants pocket. She punched J's speed dial, and it rang enough times to send her to voicemail. She punched it again, the mobility in her arm fading faster and faster. "Come the fuck on, J," she whispered, and finally he answered.

"What is it?!"

"I... need you... I... he had a brother. This time... this time it's... worse," she gasped, barely able to speak.

"You're at the club?" he asked, and she could hear that he was already on hid way out to his car, wherever he was.

"Y-y-yeah."

"I'll be there. Hold on. I'm coming, darlin'," he yelled, hanging up.

She lay there for a moment longer before the man returned, standing over there with a wide smile on his face. "He comin' for you?" he asked, and it was all she could do to nod. "Good. Let 'im come. 'M ready for the bastard," he said, picking her up roughly and putting her in a chair. He tied her there with thick ropes and punched her square in the face, seemingly just for his own amusement. Her nose started to pour blood, and he leaned down and laughed in her face, his rotten teeth just inches from her. Every muscle in her body wanted to reach for him, but she couldn't. She was fading fast, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Before she knew it, her eyes were fluttering shut. She heard him laugh and felt him punch her again, but was completely powerless to do anything about it.