Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

New Home

Zion put a smile on his face. I could tell it was somewhat genuine as his ‘colleagues’ all got out of their carriages. The two women came to me first, and smiled at me. One of them hugged me.

“My name is Kassandra,” she said and I smiled back.

“I’m Aviel,” I said, my voice shaking and the second woman glared at Zion.

“See?” she asked. “Would it have been so hard to tell us that?”

He rolled his eyes. “Let’s just go inside.”

“I’m Heather,” the second woman said, ignoring him. “I’m Zion’s sister.”

“Oh, so we’re family,” I said and saw Zion wrinkle his nose in the corner of my eye.

Heather shot him a glare and linked arms with me. Kassandra shoved Zion out of the way and took my other arm. The men all gathered around Zion, muttering words of congratulations. A few came over to shake my hand and deliver happy tidings, as well.

None of them gave me their names.

With a last nod, the men all got in their carriages and left. Zion watched them, a complicated look on his face. When he looked back at us, though, his eyes lingered on my dress. I looked at it, wondering what he was staring at. He didn’t provide an explanation as he led the way to the house.

“Er,” I began and he tossed his head back with a groan.

“Move,” he snapped to his sister and Kassandra.

They let go of my arms and he swept me off my feet unceremoniously. He carried me over the threshold then practically dropped me. I caught my footing at the last minute. I blinked away my tears and looked at my new home. Zion pointed to the left.

“The dining area,” he explained. “That is where we will have our meals. Breakfast and lunch times are optional. Dinner is at six in the evening. You will be there; that is not a request.” He pointed to a door behind the table. “That leads to the kitchen should you have any strange desire to go in there.” He then led me to the right where a group of three people were waiting. “Our living area though I hardly come in here. These are our servants: Damascus, Ilya, and Patrice.”

“Hello,” I breathed to them but they didn’t respond.

Zion shot me a glare but didn’t speak about it.

He walked upstairs and I followed, lifting my dress. Considering how rich he seemed, his house was small. It was just two stories and, to the left were just three doors. To the right were two and that’s where we went first.

He pushed open the door to the left.

“Your study,” he said. “Do whatever you want in here. I don’t care.” He stopped at the other door but didn’t open it. He held my gaze. “My study. Never go in here. And I mean never. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” I whispered, deeply uncomfortable under his gaze.

He nodded in satisfaction and walked to the other half of the house. He opened the door at the end of the hall.

“Our washroom,” he said. “Unless you’re as poor as they say, it’s like the one at your home.”

“Do you have to be so rude?” I snapped and he glared but didn’t answer.

He opened the door on the right. “Our guest room. Currently, my sister is living in here until she decides she wants to get married.”

“Hush, Zion,” Heather snapped.

When he turned to the last door, he got a deeply unpleasant look on his face. I didn’t have to ask why. I knew what room this was.

He threw the door open.

“Our bedroom,” he said through clenched teeth.

I walked in and looked around. It was comfortable enough. Like the rest of the house, the floor was wood. There was a beautiful, large rug in the middle of the room. To the right was a fireplace and, to the left, were two doors. Heather had followed me and opened the first one.

“This will be your closet,” she told me. “I’ll have your gowns unloaded by Patrice and put in here.”

I walked in and gasped. There were gowns of all kinds in there already. There were some that looked like silk, some velvet, and some a combination of both. Along the floor was a long line of heeled shoes like the ones I wore now.

“A wedding gift,” she said, smiling at my happy reaction.

“Thank you,” I breathed and walked back into the main bedroom.

My eyes fell on the bed. It was smaller than what I had hoped but there was still room for the two of us. When I looked at the doorway, Zion was leaning against the jamb looking bored.

“Do you need me to cater to you any longer?” he asked and I balled my hands into fists. I was too angry with his attitude to make out a response. “Then I’ll be in my study. Six o’clock, Aviel. Don’t forget.”

And, just like that, he left. As soon as the door shut, I started to cry. Heather sighed and hugged me. Kassandra was busying herself with something and I was led to a chair in front of the fire. I sat down and sniffled.

“Why is he so mean?” I whispered, feeling a little afraid to speak any louder than that for fear he would hear.

“It’s just how he is,” Heather said, holding my hand. “He was forced into this marriage and he resents it.”

“So he hates me,” I said but Kassandra shook her head, holding my other hand.

“No, he doesn’t hate you,” she said. “He’s just… bitter. He’ll warm up eventually. Just be patient with him.”

“Why do you live here?” I asked Heather. “I don’t think it’s because you’re unwed.”

She smiled. “Well, it’s halfway true. Our parents are no longer with us so Zion takes care of me until I do get married. From what I understand, your traditions say you have to be married young?” I nodded, confirming her question. “Not for us. We’re given all the time we need. Anyway, I’m also here because…. Zion needs me, whether he wants to admit it or not.”

“Why?” I asked.

She and Kassandra shared a look.

“We’ll let him explain,” Kassandra said finally and I sighed.

“So I’ll never find out,” I said.

She smiled kindly.

“Do you have any hobbies?” Heather asked and I shrugged.

“I like to play the violin and paint.”

She jumped to her feet and pulled me to mine.

“Good,” she said happily.

The door opened and the servant girl, Patrice, came in with my two bags. My dresses were nowhere near as beautiful as the ones in the closet but I wanted to keep them anyway. Kassandra and Heather led the way to my office. I’d never had one before and wondered if I needed it for some special reason. Maybe it was just a general term?

I looked at the shut door. I could hear him talking though I wasn’t sure if it was to himself or if someone was in there. Neither woman looked at it; instead they stared at me.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s your study,” Kassandra pointed out. “It’d be rude to go in without your permission.”

“Oh,” I flushed and quickly opened the door.

I looked around and gasped a little. I had a desk that looked very sturdy, three bookshelves full of books, and another fireplace. It was currently bare but I didn’t mind. We were in the heat of the summer. Sitting on the desk was a long box. I blinked at it and approached it slowly.

I pulled at the red ribbon and opened it. I gasped, my hand flying to my mouth. It was an absolutely gorgeous violin. It was made of dark cedar and the bow was black.

“Thank you,” I breathed.

“Oh, it’s not from us,” Kassandra said. “It’s from-.”

“I’m just glad we got it right,” Heather interrupted. “I thought it was the cello. That would have been an embarrassing mistake to make.”

She giggled and got it out. She passed it to me and I put it on my right shoulder.

“You’re left handed?” Kassandra asked and I nodded. “That’s unusual!”

“I can use my right hand if that’s a problem.”

“Not at all,” Heather promised. She was sitting on my desk. “Play something.”

“Erm, okay….”

I closed my eyes and took a breath. I pulled the bow across the strings, striking up a melancholy tune. I got lost in the music I played, swaying a bit, and it brought a smile to my face. When I stopped and opened my eyes, both women were crying. They clapped but Zion’s door opened just a bit.

“Shut the door if you’re going to play,” he snapped. “I can’t focus.”

I gripped the violin tightly and put it back in the case. I shook my head as I clasped the locks.

“Ignore him,” Heather muttered and then looked at the clock. “Come on. It’s almost six; we should get to the dining area.”