Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

Wildlife

I was in my study, writing, when someone knocked. I knew who it was and gave him permission to enter. Zion stood in front of my desk, arms crossed.

“You’re not going to eat in here any longer,” he said and I narrowed my eyes at him.

“I’ll eat wherever I want,” I said.

“No. You’ll eat in the dining room or you won’t eat at all.”

“Then I’ll starve,” I said stubbornly.

“Fine,” he snapped and threw something on my desk. “If I were you, I’d advise your mother that your mail is read.”

He left, slamming the door shut, and I flushed, part of anger and part from embarrassment. What could she have said? I took the parchment out, ignoring the broken wax seal, and began to read.

Aviel,
Every couple goes through moments like these; some sooner than others. I’m sure that, once the shock of an arranged marriage goes away, the two of you will become fond of one another.

Yes, I knew who he was. I was forbidden to speak of it, though. As you probably have figured out by now, I cannot come there and you cannot come here. I’m deeply sorry but this was the only way. Don’t think I sold you, my sweet daughter, for that isn’t the case. I didn’t want this, please understand. It was Elder Suzenne’s idea. When I tried to change her mind, it turned into an order.

You’re not a game piece, never think that. You’re a special young woman and I know that, eventually, you will fall in love. Just be patient.

As for consummating your union, that is concerning. Perhaps he doesn’t know our tradition. If not, you need to tell him. If you’d like advice on how, suggest a private dinner. Maybe, if he understands how much trouble you’re in, he’ll change his mind. Remember when it happens-


She went into detail on what to expect and I turned a deep shade of red. No wonder he said that….

I love you so much and I always will. Isabelle sends her love, too.

Love,
Mother


I sighed and put the letter in a drawer. I didn’t feel any better about my situation. I had hoped her letter would bring me comfort but it didn’t. Instead, it just made me feel worse. So, I tried to think of something to distract me. I went to the window and looked out.

I had been living in this house for a month now. Since fall was coming, the leaves were changing and I wanted to go for a walk. I didn’t know how far the property went, though.

I went out of the office and looked for Heather. I smelled food and realized it must be dinnertime. I hesitated then kept walking to the bedroom. I changed out of my heels and into a pair of sturdy boots. With or without my ‘husband’, I would go for a walk.

I walked briskly down the stairs and went to the front door. I knew they were all watching me as I left. My heart was racing, making my chest hurt. What I was doing wasn’t forbidden but I had a feeling he’d want someone with me in case I tried to leave.

I wasn’t stupid, though. Refusing to eat with him was one thing; trying to run away was another.

I looped around the back of the house and put my hands in front of me. Clouds blocked the sun and I closed my eyes, inhaling deeply. The air smelled of rain as I found a random path. I followed it through the woods and smiled as I watched a squirrel scurry up a tree then jump from it to another. It saw me and stopped for a second. I stopped, too, and we watched each other. Eventually, it continued on.

The further I went, the more at peace I felt. I was considering climbing a tree, when I caught something breathtaking.

It was a deer. I stopped at the base of the tree and it stared at me. Slowly, it approached me. I held my breath and slowly reached out to it. It froze and I took a couple of hesitant steps. When it backed up, I stopped. After staring at each other for a while longer, it started walking toward me again. It stopped just outside of reach and I walked forward, closing the gap. My hand touched her nose and I gasped as she leaned into it.

Slowly, in case I spooked her, I ran my hand down her neck. She didn’t move as I stroked her neck. Then a twig snapped and she bounded into the forest. I watched her and smiled a little. I had seen many deer in my life but never had one approached me like that before.

Then I remembered why she ran and looked around. Perhaps it was another deer? I looked around and froze, this time in fear. It wasn’t a deer. It was a wolf and it was growling at me.

I backed up right into the tree and whimpered. It snarled and started to walk toward me. I gripped the trunk behind me and considered climbing. I didn’t want to take my eyes off the wolf, though, in case it decided to attack.

Wind made the leaves move and still the wolf stared. Why hadn’t it attacked yet?

The second I thought that, the wolf leaped for me. I was too afraid to scream. Instead I started running back for the house, looking behind me in fear. Even though I liked to run around with my friends, I was no match for a wolf and was soon on my stomach, the wolf pinning me to the ground.

I whimpered and squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for death. I felt its hot breath on my neck and heard his growl. I screamed as it bit into my arm but then it was gone. I could hear snarling but the pain and continuous stream of blood was making me weak. When I managed to lift my head, my eyesight was blurred. I could see someone fighting with the wolf. They had a sword and drove it through the wolf.

I fainted before I could thank whoever saved me.

~-~

“She’s coming around. Get some more water, please, Ilya.”

“Yes, Master Zion.”

I groaned and opened my eyes. My right arm was on fire and I looked at it. It was wrapped tightly in a white bandage. I was in the bedroom I shared with Zion and he was standing beside me, his fingers on my wrists as he counted under his breath.

When he saw my eyes were open, he glared.

“What were you thinking?” he snapped.

“What?” I asked, my mind foggy.

“Are you really stupid enough to go walking out there on your own?”

“Just wanted to see the property,” I mumbled, closing my eyes again.

I was tired from not having food and the attack of the wolf. When the door opened again, gentle hands helped me sit up enough to drink the water. Zion was standing at the foot of the bed now, his arms crossed. Heather helped me lay back down and I groaned.

“You should have had one of us go with you,” he lectured. “It’s dangerous out there. Wolves aren’t the only things lurking in those woods. Why did you get off the path?”

“Saw a deer,” I said, shaking my head a little to clear it. Instead, it swam and I groaned again. “I wanted to see if she’d let me pet her.”

“Did she?” Heather asked.

“Who cares?” Zion demanded. “We’re not here because of a deer! We’re here because you almost died, Aviel!”

“Why do you care?” I retorted and he stared at me. “All I am is a game piece to you. You’d be widowed. And don’t say you need an heir. You won’t even touch me. Just go away and let me sleep.”

It all came tumbling out and I shut my eyes again, crying a little.

“Go, Zion,” Heather whispered. “I’ll talk to her.”

There was some silence then the door shut. Heather sat beside me and stroked my hair.

“How’s your arm?” she asked.

“It doesn’t hurt as much,” I said. “I won’t be able to play for a while, though.”

“That’s a shame,” she said. “Why did you go out on your own, Aviel?”

“I didn’t think there’d be wolves out here.”

She sighed. “Aviel, there’s something you need to understand about us,” she said but I fell asleep before I could catch the last of what she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
There will be a lot of updates today; I'm in Starbucks for several hours which gives me plenty of time to write and update.