‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

King Greaves

I puffed my cheeks out and tapped my foot. Zion looked at me nervously.

“I’m sure they’ll be here soon.”

“They’re late,” I snapped. “We’re at-.”

“We’re at war, I know,” Tomas snapped back. “Now shut up.”

I glared at him. He had obviously gotten too uncomfortable with being kind to Zion and I for he was back to his obnoxious self. Finally, I heard a carriage trundle up to the drive and we walked out. It was snowing once more and Zion put my cloak on for me. As he had said, there were three guards, all dressed casually.

“Okay Aviel,” Zion said and led me over. “This is Jason, Patrick, and Gale.”

I frowned at Patrick. “You look familiar….”

“I am Patrice’s twin, your highness,” he said with a bow.

“Oh!”

I shook their hands and Zion opened the coach door for me. My mother and sister both hugged me one more time and I climbed in. Zion said a few things to his father and I watched as a large barrel was taken into the house. I sincerely hoped that would help with Kassandra and Heather’s relationship. They were going to have a baby and they should both be excited.

“So, let’s go over the story again,” Zion said and I groaned.

“We’ve gone over it, like, a hundred times,” I complained.

“Then we’ll go over it one hundred and one times,” he said. “Now tell me.”

I rolled my eyes. “When we get there, we will introduce ourselves as the prince and princess of Felden. We will tell them that we wish to speak with their king about a possible peaceful solution. If they ask about the guards, they’re really just our servants. My handmaiden is ill and we didn’t have time to get a new one. We’ll stay for a day or two while your guards become super-secret agents and infiltrate to get their plans. Then we’ll go to that forest and go to the site where you painted the painting in the foyer. You’ll do your spell and – boom, we’re back home.”

“Very good,” he said with a serious nod and I sighed.

I sat beside him and put my head on his chest. He wrapped an arm around me.

“It’s going to be fine, my love,” I whispered.

“I know but I’m still worried.”

“I understand but worry will get us nowhere.”

I felt him nod and closed my eyes.

“Are you tired?” he asked.

“No,” I said. “I just like being this close to you.”

He chuckled and I grinned at the way it sounded and felt through his chest. He pulled me onto his lap so that he could rest his head on my chest. I kissed the top of his head and he wrapped his arms around me. I began to hum and he rubbed my side with his thumb.

{One Week Later}

“So stiff,” I groaned, trying to stretch in the coach. “Can’t we stop just once?”

“We’re almost there,” he said, staring anxiously out the window. “I don’t want to put this off any longer.”

I sighed but didn’t argue. He was in a bad mood; he had been for the last day. Once we had crossed Kell’s borders, he wanted to travel without stopping. I had to remind him several times that the horses needed to eat and rest. Now, though, there was no talking him into any kind of pause.

He inhaled sharply, sitting up, and I looked out the window. We were going up through the village. People were staring and I took a chance to examine the homes. They were made of brick and stone. Kell was definitely well off. Their villagers, even the homeless, were dressed well and there didn’t seem to be a lack of food anywhere. Was this what it was like to be part of a kingdom? If so, I hoped that the elders would agree to become part of Felden.

The coach stopped and I looked at Zion. He looked afraid so I held his hand.

“It’s going to be okay,” I whispered and he managed a smile. “Don’t look so scared or they might get suspicious.”

“Right,” he said and the door opened.

The footman put the stool down for me and helped me out. While Zion got out, I looked at the palace. It was gold and hurt my eyes slightly. Even though it was a cloudy day, it seemed to glow as if the sun was shining on it. I took Zion’s arm as our guards walked a few steps behind us, carrying our luggage. A guard led us through the front doors and to the throne room, instructing our guards to wait in the foyer.

The king sat upon his throne, watching us with his eyes full of mistrust. He was very old with grey hair, cold blue eyes, and many wrinkles. There was a young woman with the same blue eyes though hers were a little kinder. Her hair was blond and her head tilted as we bowed before the king.

“Prince Zion Dragomir,” the king said in a deep voice. “How… nice to see you.”

“Likewise,” Zion said and put his hand on my lower back. “This is my wife, Princess Aviel Dragomir.”

The king looked me up and down. I curtsied.

“Your highness,” I said.

“Very polite,” he observed. “That’s a good quality in a future queen.” I wasn’t sure what to say. “To what do I owe this… pleasure?”

“My father has sent me in hopes that we can reach a more peaceful solution,” he said. “We wish to avoid more bloodshed.”

The king leaned forward. “How many times have we convened, Prince?”

Zion’s lips pressed together briefly. “Many, King Greaves, with my father. However, even he has agreed that I am a better… diplomat.”

The king slid his eyes to me. “And what is your purpose?” he demanded.

I lowered my eyes in respect. “To support my husband,” I said. “I, too, wish for the war to end.”

“Hmm,” he said. “Very well. We will have a room set up for- Who are they?” he asked, his voice laced with mistrust as our guards walked in.

“Our servants,” Zion lied smoothly. “They have come to carry our luggage and feed us.”

The king smirked. “Don’t trust us, young Prince?”

“We don’t wish to impose on your castle staff,” I supplied and he nodded.

“Have a room prepared for them, Rose,” he said to his daughter and the princess jumped to her feet.

When her father couldn’t see her face, she smiled a little at us. I could tell she was more open to friendly relations than her father. We stood in awkward silence. Zion and Greaves were staring at each other without any emotions on their faces but I could feel the tense atmosphere. I tried not to shift, knowing that would arouse suspicion.

Finally, Rose returned with two servants.

“We have a room in our servants’ quarters for your servants,” she said and the king’s head snapped to look at her.

“I said for them, not their servants,” he snapped and Rose sighed.

“Try to be kind, Father,” she said quietly. “They come in peace.”

“So they say.”

Rose just shook her head and smiled at us again. “If you’ll follow Kelli, she will show you to your room.”

“Thank you,” we said in unison and curtsied and bowed to them both.

I kept a tight hold on Zion’s arm as we walked through the halls. It was just as bright as the outside but the attitude of the king made it feel dark. Zion had warned me that it wasn’t safe to speak of our plan inside the palace but I was severely tempted to do so. Instead, I remained the submissive wife I was supposed to be.

When we stopped outside the room, the guards gave us each significant looks before leaving to go to their room. I let out a long breath as Zion shut the door. He kissed me.

“You did very well,” he said.

“I’ve never been so nervous,” I groaned. “Not even when we got married.”

He smiled and hugged me. “Well, we’re here. I will be the one talking with the king. You’ll be spending time with the princess.”

I nodded. “I like that idea. Very much.”

He laughed. “Don’t be intimidated. He used to be a kind man; relations are just strained because of the war.”

“I didn’t realize that it was a kingdom that we were at war against,” I frowned as we dressed for the night.

He sighed. “That’s my fault. I forgot that I kept so much from you.”

“It’s okay,” I said, snuggling up to him under the covers.

The room and bed were small. I had a feeling this was the best Rose could do considering her father’s feelings towards us. Zion fell asleep quickly but I couldn’t manage it.

I got out of his tight grip and walked to the window. It was snowing heavier here and the moon was shining. It was full and I felt a cold draft in the room. I looked around but all was still except for Zion turning in his sleep. I put my hand by the window but it was sealed well.

Deciding it was my imagination, I got back into bed. Zion grunted in his sleep when he felt me get in and turned, wrapping his arms around me. He held me tightly and mumbled my name in his sleep. It made me smile and I closed my eyes.

In the corner of the room, a dark figure lurked, watching us intensely.