‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Complicated

“Avi,” Zion said and I rolled my eyes, continuing to collect our things into a basket to take into my study. “Was that necessary?”

“This is our home,” I said. “He has no right to talk to us like that!”

He sighed and took the basket, setting it on the floor. He rubbed my arms and I closed my eyes. He put his arms around me. I leaned into him, holding him back. We stood in silence for a while and I took a few deep breaths.

Zion and I had been married for four months but only became intimate a week ago. For a while, Zion tried to make me believe he hated me when really he loved me. By consummating our relationship, though, he would have to turn me into a vampire and he loathed the idea. In his eyes, the longer I hate him the longer I got to stay human, despite his father’s objections. Last week, though, I accepted my fate and we sealed our union.

Over the time, we’ve spent most of the time in bed. I had already removed the sheets and changed them, embarrassed at the idea of his parents sleeping in the same bed we made love in so many times. Our relationship grew stronger the more I opened up to him and he opened up to me. Now we were as close as close could be. Part of me felt guilty however; I didn’t love him back even though I desperately wanted to. I could only remember the four months and how cruel he was. He didn’t mind how long it was taking, though.

“You’ll come to love me in your time,” he said, pecking me on the forehead. “I will wait however long I need to, Aviel. I promise.”

I looked up at him and he rubbed our chins together and I giggled at the feel of his stubble on my face.

“There you go,” he said and I smiled gently. “Now let’s finish up.”

He helped me by putting the clothes into the basket and he carried it to my study. There was only one couch so he brought in the one from his study and sat it so that it faced mine. I glanced at the clock. It was time for dinner so we went to the dining table.

Tomas was already there, his arms crossed as he glared at us. I tried to ignore him and smiled at my mother- and father-in-law. It was strange seeing them sitting casually at our table, looking at our home with polite curiosity.

“It’s smaller than I anticipated it to be,” Eavana said as Damascus and Patrice put our food in front of us.

“I like it,” Zion said.

“And what of you, Aviel?” Lebanon asked.

“Oh, I love it,” I said honestly. “My home was small growing up. This is like a palace to me.”

“Wait until you see our palace,” Eavana said eagerly. “You’ll love it even more. Oh! You’re left handed, too?”

“Yes,” I smiled, looking at Zion. “Apparently that makes me stranger.”

“More wonderful,” Zion corrected and I giggled.

“Thank you for opening your home to us,” Lebanon said and we all glanced at Tomas.

He was eating as if he hadn’t in a while. I turned to my plate and an awkward silence fell. I heard Tomas grunt then make an angry noise.

“Thank you for your hospitality,” he said through clenched teeth.

“You’re welcome,” Zion said and I repeated it.

“How long will you be here?” I asked as we were given dessert.

“Hopefully not long,” the king answered. “We came to see you, Aviel, and to figure out what to do about this war.”

“Why are we at war?” I asked.

Tomas scoffed. “Honestly? You don’t know?” I gripped my fork so I wouldn’t glare at him. “The vampires are currently in a civil war. Some wish to go against our father’s orders and kill as they please. There are those of us, though, that are… pleased with the peace we’ve been experiencing these thousand years.”

“I take it you’re not one of them,” I said and he shrugged, stuffing some food in his mouth.

“It’s not important what I believe,” he said. “I am loyal to my king and father.”

I wasn’t convinced but remained silent.

“Tell us about yourself,” Lebanon said when we were all silent for a while.

“There’s not much to say,” I said but Zion shook his head.

“She’s an amazing musician,” he said and looked at me. “You should play after dinner.”

I smiled nervously but nodded. We stood up and moved into the living area. Patrice brought me my violin and I sat in the rocking chair in front of our fireplace. Everyone sat around me and I took a deep breath. I was anxious; not only was I playing for my in-laws but for the king as well. I looked to Zion but he smiled and urged me to continue.

I pulled the bow across the string, keeping my eyes focused on the air above their heads. I would lose my nerve if I looked at their faces. Eventually, I got caught up in the music and began to move with it. The only sound was the crackling of the fire and the rocking of the chair as I played. At first it was random notes but I began the song I had composed when I first moved here. It was sad but happy as well.

When I stopped, I looked at them. The queen was crying and Lebanon clapped, grinning at me.

“Zion was right!” he praised. “That was beautiful.”

“Thank you,” I said with a bit of a bow and yawned behind my hand. “Oh, please forgive me.”

“Not at all,” he said. “We should all get some rest.”

I curtsied to the two of them then looked at Tomas. He was just tapping his foot impatiently. I shook my head and led the way upstairs. When we got to my study, Zion shut the door and locked it.

“Don’t be so angry with him,” he began but I shook my head.

“I’m more upset with his attitude,” I said. “I understand he’s royalty but can’t he manage a bit of humility?”

He smiled and kissed me. I sighed through my nose and kissed him back. I wrapped my arms around him and he pulled me close, licking my lower lip. I ran my hand through his lengthening hair, enjoying how thick and silky it was. Suddenly, I had the overwhelming urge to feed from him, something that’s only happened once before. So, I pulled from the kiss and pressed my lips to his neck a few times. He moaned and tilted his head, clearly begging me to bite him.

I sank my teeth in slowly and he gripped my hips tightly, moaning again. I drank deeply, his blood giving me warmth and pleasure. Without warning, he pulled on my hair until I stopped and bit into my neck a little roughly. I shut my eyes, tugging lightly on his hair.

“Zion,” I gasped. “Zion, you’re going too far.”

He didn’t stop, though. I shook in his arms until I finally pushed on him enough to make him pull away.

“I’m so sorry,” he groaned as he helped me sit down. “Are you all right?”

“Weak,” I whispered and he lay down, pulling me with him. “Why did that happen?”

“What do you mean?”

He put his arm around my waist and I rested my forehead on his chest, feeling my neck heal over. That was the strangest part about being fed from: the skin healing over. I held him back and shut my eyes.

“Just out of nowhere I wanted to feed,” I said.

“Sometimes it happens,” he said. “Especially since we don’t feed on a normal basis.”

“Should we?”

“It’s not required. Feeding from each other will give us enough nourishment to go a long time without needing to feed again.”

I nodded. He knew how much I disliked feeding from our servants. Feeding from him was different, though. Just as he would go too far, I would go too far. It was hard to not get caught up in his blood. The taste and the feeling it gave me was intoxicating.

“Something seems off, Zion,” I murmured.

“What?”

“About your family’s visit,” I said and looked up at him. He had been dabbing at my neck with his sleeve. “Tomas seems too bitter. It’s not just from how he disagrees with your father, either.”

He frowned. “Maybe it’s just because of the living arrangements.”

I arched a brow. “I may have just met him, but I’m pretty certain that’s not what it is.” I bit my lip. “Are you going to have to go into battle?”

“No,” he said quickly. “I’ve already arranged that with my father and brother. I may have some military experience but not enough to stay safe or help during this war. Why do you ask?”

I put my forehead on his chest again, snuggling up. He hesitated but got more comfortable with me. He wasn’t used to physical expressions of affection yet. I kissed his chest through his shirt and he ran his hand up and down my back.

“I don’t want you to go,” I said. “I’d be too afraid for you.”

“Why?”

I looked at him again, this time frowning. “What?”

He shrugged with one shoulder, staring down. “It’s not like you love me or anything,” he murmured. “Why would it matter?”

I sighed. “Zion, I may not love you but I still care deeply for you. The idea of you being gone forever…. I can’t stand it.” He didn’t respond. “I’m sorry, Zion. I-I’ll try harder.”

“No,” he said quickly, caressing my cheek. “I don’t want you to feel obligated or guilty. That’s not- I’m sorry.”

“Let’s just get some sleep,” I suggested. “I have a feeling tomorrow will be busy.”

“Right,” he said and closed his eyes, pulling me closer.