‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Epilogue

“Why couldn’t we have taken the painting?” I complained, jiggling my foot impatiently.

Zion chuckled. “Because I wanted you to have the full experience.”

I groaned. “I just want to be there now!”

He smiled and pulled me to sit beside him. He wrapped his arms around me and I leaned up to kiss his neck. The carriage rocked on the uneven road. It was muddy from all the rain and melting snow which made travel even slower. I couldn’t wait to see Eavana’s baby but Zion insisted on going in a coach. Heather and Kassandra were in a coach behind ours.

“So, are you going to tell me what’s wrong or am I going to have to guess?” Zion asked suddenly.

“What?”

He flicked my nose. “You’re putting off some strange vibes, sweet. What’s going on?”

I sighed and snuggled into him. Though our bodies were touching completely, I wished I could be even closer to him.

“I feel like something’s going on,” I said after some thought. “Like…. I don’t know. It’s this feeling I get in my stomach that makes me... anxious about something. I can't tell if it's the good kind of anxiety or bad, though.”

He sighed, too, and put his hand on my stomach.

“It’s from the baby, Aviel,” he whispered.

“What do you mean?”

“My mother told me that you would feel like this after the miscarriage. It will pass.”

“I’m really sorry we can’t have kids,” I mumbled but he had me look at him.

He kissed me and I sighed through my nose, running my hand from his chest into his hair. He deepened the kiss and pulled me onto his lap. I wrapped my arms around his neck. I wasn’t sure how long we sat there but, as more time passed during our kiss, the less anxious I felt.

“It’s okay,” he said when he finally broke from the kiss. He ran his thumb over my lips. “I love you regardless.”

I hesitated, though, and he rubbed his stubbly chin against my cheek again. I giggled and put my head on his shoulder. We spent the rest of the day in silence when, finally, the carriage stopped. I jumped off of Zion’s lap and threw the door open before the footman could get to me. Zion laughed as I stood in awe.

Felden was much more impressive than Kell. Every home was at least two stories high and made of stone. There were bright colors but they weren’t overdone like Kell’s. People waved and threw flower petals as the four of us walked up the street to the palace. We waved back and I giggled. A little girl came running over to me and put her arms around my legs. I laughed again and she handed me a Sunglow flower. She beamed then ran back to her mother.

I felt a little sad and Zion took the flower, tucking it behind my ear. He kissed my cheek as we continued.

The palace was large. I had never seen such an estate before! I could only stand and gape and Zion laughed, pulling me along. Lebanon and Eavana were standing at the doors, grinning so broadly I thought their faces would split. A small bundle was in Eavana’s arms and I let go of Zion, running over to her. I gasped as I looked at the little baby.

“Her name is Opal,” Eavana said. “Would you like to hold her?”

“Yes!” I said and she giggled.

I took her and smiled. The baby had the same black eyes but her tuft of hair was red. She blinked at me and I held my finger over to tickle her. Instead, she gripped it so hard I cringed.

“She’s so strong!” I said and Eavana laughed. “Why is her hair red?”

“Oh, it’ll change,” she said. “Goodness. I’ve lost count of how many times Zion’s hair changed over the years.”

“Just leave me in the dust,” Zion complained when they finally caught up with us.

I smiled innocently and we were led into the palace. I passed Opal to Zion who cooed over his new sister. The sight of him with a baby hurt me so I looked around at the palace. It was gorgeous. Lebanon had chosen purple and gold as his colors to match the Sunglow flower.

“We have something for you,” Lebanon told me and I blinked.

“For me?”

“And Zion,” he nodded, taking Opal and passing her to a nanny. He held out his hand for me and I took it, curious. “Come along and you’ll see.”

Heather and Kassandra followed curiously. Kassandra was now walking with a hand always on her stomach. Either her baby was going to be big or she was going to have twins. I had never seen such a large stomach after just two and a half months.

We stopped outside of a door and Lebanon put a hand on the doorknob, still holding my hand.

“The two of you had something stolen,” he said quietly and I stared at Zion, confused. He just shrugged. “After much discussion, Suzenne has found a way to make it up to you.”

“What do you mean?” I asked but he pushed the door open and I gasped.

Zion’s eyes were wide as we both walked in slowly. Phillipe grinned, holding a similar bundle in his arms. I reached out to move the blanket.

“Sh-She looks like me,” I whispered.

“Magic is an amazing thing,” Phillipe said in a gentle voice. He pressed the baby into my arms. “Not only can it kill, but it can bring things to life.”

I shut my eyes and gulped. Zion was the first to speak.

“Are-Are you saying this is-?”

“It’s your baby,” Phillipe said and I let out a small sob. I held her to my chest. “Suzenne had to do a lot of research but we found a way to revive your baby.”

“I don’t understand,” I whispered, opening my eyes. “It never even left my body.”

Phillipe’s smile was gentle. “Come now, Aviel. Surely you know by now that nothing is impossible with magic.”

I sniffled and hugged him gently so as to not crush my baby. I looked up at Zion who was staring at the baby with huge eyes. Her hair was blond like mine and her eyes black. She cooed and reached up for Zion.

“Take her,” I said and he did so.

He was more careful with her than with Opal. He brushed the hair from her face and just stared at her.

“Zion?” I whispered. “Are you upset?”

He looked at me. “Of course not,” he whispered. “I’m terrified!”

I giggled and the baby grinned, pulling on his ears. He laughed and took her hand away. He wiped my tears away; I hadn’t realized I was crying.

“What do you want to name her?” he asked and I looked at her.

She was now reaching for me so I took her back. She nuzzled up to my breast then closed her eyes. She gave a cute little yawn and fell asleep slowly.

“Justine,” I said. I kissed her forehead. “Justine Dragomir.”

“Beautiful,” he said. “Just like her mother.”

I smiled up at him and we kissed. Suddenly, Kassandra erupted into loud sobs, startling us.

“What’s wrong?” Heather asked, immediately inspecting Kassandra’s stomach.

Kassandra just slapped her hands away.

“I’m just so happy!” she cried. “They get to have their baby, Heather!”

She started to bawl and I laughed as Zion wrapped his arms around me. We watched in humor as Heather comforted Kassandra. Justine shifted in my arms and I leaned into Zion some.

“I love you,” I whispered to him and he planted a kiss on my lips.

“I love you, too,” he said then smiled at Justine. “Looks like we have a new adventure in front of us.”

I smiled and looked down at my sleeping daughter. I grinned.

“This is what it was,” I said.

“What do you mean?”

“The feeling,” I said. “I knew she was alive somehow.” I laughed and started to cry happily. Zion held me tighter. “Oh, Zion, we have a baby!”

He laughed, too. I composed myself and wiped my tears on my shoulders. I smiled at Phillipe who was looking very moved by the scene. Eavana and Lebanon were on their way to see Justine and I handed her to Eavana carefully. She and Lebanon whispered over the baby and I buried my face in Zion’s chest.

“Maybe now we’ll have a normal family,” I said and he laughed heartily.

“Oh, my Aviel,” he said. “Not a chance.”