‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Lebanon

I woke to a slight surprise: Zion was still asleep. He was always up before me. I looked at the clock to see it was some time after seven in the morning. I managed to worm my way out of Zion’s arms and dressed quietly. Before leaving, I looked at him again and sighed sadly.

“It’s not like you love me.”

As I walked downstairs, I considered my feelings for him. They were deep, very deep, but I was finding it hard to decide if I loved him. He was good to me, he loved me, and he provided whatever I wanted…. So what was holding me back?

When I got downstairs, Lebanon was the only one awake. He was sitting in the living area, reading a book. I hesitated outside of his visual range. I had a lot of questions for him but I didn’t know if it was appropriate to ask him just yet.

“How about we go for a ride?” he suggested without looking up and I jumped. He chuckled and stood. “You forget, I am the father of all.”

“You can read my mind?” I asked.

He put the book away and held my cloak out for me.

“Of course not,” he said. “But I know you’re burning to ask some questions; it’s only natural.”

I led him to the small barn and had the stable hand saddle up my horse, who I had named Pitch because of his all black coat, and another horse for Lebanon. We stood in silence, mine somewhat awkward. He was looking at the barn in interest but stopped to help me onto Pitch. I hated riding side saddle; I was always worried I’d slide off. The other way was more uncomfortable, though, so I settled with the lesser of two evils.

“Zion always likes to start here,” I said and we took the path. “I’m not sure why, but he does love it.”

It was an overcast day but cold and I pulled my cloak tighter around my body. Lebanon hummed for a bit. When we were quite a distance from the small manor, he spoke.

“What is your first question, dear Aviel?”

“Why did you choose Zion to come out here?” I asked.

“Tomas wished to stay and fight in the war,” he said. “Zion has been in a couple battles but his skills are… lacking. He recognizes this and decided to take on a more diplomatic role instead.”

“When I first came here, Heather said that the two of you were dead. Why?”

“Because Zion was… confused,” he said with a small frown. “I still do not like the way your marriage began. I told him to be upfront and honest with you but he was letting his love and desire for your happiness get in the way.”

I sighed. “I find it hard to accept his love for me, your highness,” I mumbled and saw him frown at me out of the corner of my eye.

“Call me Lebanon, please,” he said. “And I know it seems difficult right now. I think we can all agree he went about it the wrong way. Do you love him?” he asked after some thought.

“I don’t know,” I groaned, leaning my head back. “I want to, Lebanon, so badly. But there’s something blocking me. It also doesn’t help that he’s stressed about this war and his brother’s presence.”

“Yes, he and his brother have always been at odds.”

“Why?” I asked as we took the path to the left when we came to a fork.

He thought over his answer. “It began when they were children. It was something silly, really. One of them wanted to have their practice day before the other.”

“Practice day?”

“Yes. I gave each child a day where they got to run the kingdom. Since he was born first, that would have been Tomas. There was always sibling rivalry between the two but it was healthy. The breaking point, though, was when they went to their first battle together. Tomas was a natural. He fought with bravery and courage. Zion….” He sighed, looking regretful. “Zion was terrified. He’s not made for war, Aviel, and I’m sorry that I didn’t notice sooner. When I asked him to go around the back flank, he obeyed but came back a different man. The two of them got into an argument over the battle and it’s been horrible ever since.”

“Zion didn’t tell me about Tomas until after we united,” I told him. “Why not?”

Lebanon looked at me, pulling his horse to a stop. I did the same, interested at the look on his face.

“Just as they have been fighting all their lives, Zion has been in Tomas’ shadow. That includes with women,” he added quietly.

“Oh,” I said. “He worries I’ll choose Tomas?”

“Yes. And your doubts about your feelings for him are likely to only make him more nervous,” he said and I felt a squirm of guilt.

“Well, he doesn’t need to worry about that,” I said and the sun started to break through the clouds. We turned back to the barn. “My feelings for Zion are very strong, Lebanon. Stronger than I thought they would ever be. Perhaps it is love,” I muttered. I huffed as I dismounted. “I wish I could speak with my mother but Zion said it’s too dangerous to leave the property.”

“He’s right,” he told me, lifting his arm. His cloak covered the two of us, protecting us from the sun. “We had to take many precautions on our way here. Speak with my wife about it. She’s very wise.”

“Has she been your only wife?” I asked.

We had reentered the house. Heather and Kassandra were at the table eating and Eavana was in the living area. Zion and Tomas were nowhere to be seen.

“Yes,” Lebanon said and went to his wife, kissing her. “And I can’t imagine being without her.”

I smiled at their display of love. I then said hello to the two women but they just nodded. I frowned.

“What is it?” I asked but I got my answer.

Upstairs, loud voices were barely muffled. I looked up at the ceiling; the dining area was right under his study. I heard a heavy thud and a crash. I ran up the stairs, Lebanon hot on my heels while Eavana struggled to get out of the chair.

“You will not disrespect me in my home!” I heard Zion shout.

“Not even your wife respects you!” Tomas argued and I stopped outside the door, looking at Lebanon. “She leaves without your permission!”

“She is not my slave. She can come and go as she pleases.”

“Perhaps she needs to be tamed. Why don’t you let me spend a day or two with her?” Tomas asked, his voice changing. “I’ll teach her-.”

“Shut up!”

The walls shook and I pushed on the door. It was locked and I hissed.

“Move,” Lebanon ordered and I obeyed.

He waved his hand and I heard the lock disengage. I pushed the door open. Tomas and Zion had each other in a chokehold, their fangs down to their chins. They were hissing and biting. When they realized we were there, though, they stopped hissing. I crossed to the fireplace and yanked on the candlestick.

“Aviel,” Zion began, pushing his brother off of him.

“No,” I snapped and pointed.

“You’re just going to let her tell you what to do?” Tomas sneered.

“You first,” I ordered to the vampire and he wrinkled his nose. “Now, Tomas.”

“Who do you think you are!?” he snapped but he was forced to follow my orders.

After he turned me, I was given access to every room and Zion had to do as I told him. It was like that with everyone in the house who was a vampire. As such, Tomas was under my command as well.

Lebanon was laughing quietly as I stormed after them. Zion and Tomas stood on either side of the table, glaring at each other with crossed arms.

“It’s funny,” I said, snapping my fingers and lights sprung along the torches. “I thought you two were hundreds of years old.”

“Aviel,” Zion groaned, leaning his head back. “Come on.”

“If you want to fight, you won’t do it up there,” I said and tossed him an ax. He caught it and stared from it to me. I threw a sword at Tomas who looked just as perplexed. “You’ll do it down here where you can’t break priceless furniture and art! I know you broke my vase,” I spat at Zion.

He cleared his throat.

“Well?” I pressed, putting my hands on my hips.

“Eh, you’re not worth it,” Tomas said, tossing the sword on the table and Zion did the same with the battle ax. Tomas walked over to me, stopping just inches from my body. I didn’t back away. “Where I’m from, women are not so strong. You need to learn how to hold your tongue. We are not your slaves.” Suddenly, he stroked my cheek and I slapped his hand away. He smirked. “You’ll learn.”

He left and I looked to Zion who I could tell was close to murder. He was shaking in anger as Tomas closed the door behind him. I sighed and went to Zion, wrapping my arms around him.

“Calm down,” I said and he sighed, too.

“I’ll chop his hand off for touching you,” he said through clenched teeth.

“Calm down,” I repeated. “It’s okay. He’s learned now.”

“Don’t change yourself,” he said after a while and I put my head on his chest. He kissed the top of my head. “I know what you’re thinking, Avi. I wouldn’t have you any other way.”

“If it’s going to cause fights between you and your brother-.”

“Like you said,” he interrupted and I looked up at him. “We’re too old to keep fighting like this.” He tucked some hair behind my ear and kissed me gently. “Did you enjoy your ride with my father?”

“Yes,” I said. “I’m going to knit with your mother soon.”

“I’m glad you’re getting to know them,” he said and we danced slowly on the spot. “They’ve been dying to meet you since Heather, Kassandra, and I moved here. I talked them into what I thought was the right time.”

I kissed his chin. “Stop it, Zion. It’s in the past. Let’s just move forward.”

He smiled and I returned it as we continued to dance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long gap! But I'm back now!