‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Renewed

Dinner was an awkward affair. Both brothers kept glaring at each other but didn’t say anything. I sat beside Zion and fidgeted.

“Are you all right?” he asked, setting his fork down with a concerned frown.

“I’m fine,” I said quickly and glanced at Eavana.

She just gave me a big grin.

“I’m sorry for the fight today,” Zion said when we got the couches pushed back together. “He always brings out the worst in me….”

“It’s okay,” I said and got under the blanket. When he was in, I cuddled up close to him which I knew surprised him. I wrapped my arms around him. “What did you do this afternoon?”

“Reports,” he said and I laughed at his tone. “They’re so tedious, Aviel!” he groaned. “I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to write that they better join us or else.”

I looked at him in shock. “You’ve been threatening people!?”

“Of course not,” he laughed. “I’m paraphrasing.” He tilted his head at me, keeping me from hiding my face again. “You’re upset. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I said quickly again and he arched a brow.

“Avi,” he said but I shook my head.

“I’ll tell you tomorrow,” I promised then cleared my throat. “Your mother wants to spend tomorrow with you, by the way.”

“Really?” he asked and let me put my head on his chest. He ran a hand through my hair slowly. “I wonder why.”

“She hasn’t seen you in a long time,” I said. “Maybe she misses you.”

“Hmm. That could be.” He yawned. “We should sleep in here more often.”

I laughed. “Why?”

His thumb rubbed my back slowly and my eyes closed, calm spreading through my body.

“I feel more….”

“Peaceful,” we said in unison and we both laughed.

“I can’t explain it,” he said and I kissed his collarbone.

“You don’t always need an explanation for everything, Zion,” I whispered.

“If you say so,” he said and I laughed.

“Good night, Zion.”

“Good night. Sleep well, my Avi.”

~

“No,” I said, tossing the dress over my shoulder. “I’ve already worn this one. Doesn’t match my hair. Looks awful. Has a hole already. Goodness, what did I do to that?”

Heather laughed. “Just pick one,” she said, popping a piece of fruit in her mouth. “What’s got you so flustered anyway?”

“Nothing,” I said and held up a light blue dress. “What do you think?”

“I like it,” she said. “It matches your eyes. You’d look beautiful in it.”

She glanced at the door and I finally realized it. I had been getting a strange feeling around her. I was so caught up in my plan, though, that I hadn’t given it much thought.

“Why aren’t you with Kassandra?” I asked.

“No reason,” she said.

“Liar,” I accused and she sighed.

“She’s been acting weird ever since my parents got here,” she mumbled, toying with her dress.

I sat beside her. “In what way?”

“She wants a baby,” she whispered.

“Oh,” I said.

“Yeah.”

I frowned at the floor. It was obvious they couldn’t get pregnant. Not that way….

“Have you considered surrogacy?” I asked.

“I don’t know how I feel about it, to be honest,” she said, wrapping her hair around her finger. “I mean, another man having intercourse with her? How would you feel about it if it was Zion?”

“I wouldn’t like it,” I admitted. “But how else can you have a baby?”

She lay out on her back. “There’s always a witch we can ask….”

“That’s dangerous,” I whispered.

“Don’t worry; Kassandra’s already said no.” She looked at me. “What would you do?”

I thought it over. “Well, if Zion wanted a baby and I couldn’t do it, I’d probably consider surrogacy. I mean, there’s got to be a way to do it without intercourse….”

“There’s not. I’ve done research.” She sat back up and toyed with her hands. “She wants to ask a vampire we knew in the kingdom. He- Well, he has a male lover so we wouldn’t have to worry about them getting feelings for each other.”

“Would he be able?”

“Of course,” she said. “He has the means. And I’m sure we can find a way for him to….”

She trailed off, her face pink. I held her hand.

“You’ll figure it out,” I promised. “It will take some time, but you’ll figure it out together.”

“I want to make her happy,” she said with a sigh. “I want to give her a child but there’s only one way.” She bit her lip and got an envelope out of her dress pocket. “I wrote to Gerard last week. I got this two days ago.”

She passed it to me and I read it quickly. I sighed and hugged her. She cried a little.

“He’ll be here in two weeks.”

“Does she know yet?” I asked.

“No,” she sniffled. “I- Well, I want it to be a surprise. Her birthday is in two weeks, you see, so it’s good timing I guess.”

I nodded then she cleared her throat.

“Well, I’m going to leave you to your super secret plan. Thanks for listening,” she added before leaving. “You’re a good friend.”

I smiled and hugged her again. I picked the dresses up as she left, feeling sad for my friend. At least he was willing to help them, though. Not many people would. I just hoped it worked.

Once the dresses were put away and I had decided on wearing my wedding dress and the bedroom back to clean for my parents-in-law, I hurried outside. Zion and his parents were in his office discussing the war. Usually Eavana wouldn’t be involved but she was there to keep him distracted. I grabbed a basket from the barn, nodding briefly at the stable hand, and went to the small garden in the back. For a man, I was shocked to find out that Zion actually loved flowers. Daffodils and black roses were his favorite so I picked some of each.

I draped a blanket over it and rushed upstairs, running into Tomas. He smiled down at me and I frowned, trying to step around him.

“Excuse me,” I said when he didn’t move.

“What’s in the basket?” he asked, pointing at it.

“Nothing you need to worry about,” I said.

“I don’t know. It could be dangerous.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not going to bring anything dangerous in here. Don’t be stupid.”

His face darkened briefly. “Watch your mouth, Aviel,” he said in a low voice and I glared. “I will not tolerate you talking back.”

“Well, it’s a shame you’re in my home,” I retorted. “Now move.”

He clenched his jaw but had to step to the side. As I walked down the hall, he spoke. His voice carried so it felt like he was right behind me.

“It’s a shame I didn’t meet you first,” he said and I felt a cold draft that made me shiver. Something cold touched the marks where Zion had bitten me. “It’s not too late.”

The feeling passed and I looked over my shoulder. He was gone, though, and I shook myself. I went into the study and started placing the flowers in strategic places. I changed into my wedding dress, making sure the sash was just as it should be. I then went to the kitchens and made sure that the cook got my change in menu.

“Prince Tomas doesn’t like pecan chicken,” the cook frowned and I arched a brow at him. He cleared his throat. “I’ll make sure this is made by six.”

“Thank you.”

I spent the rest of the afternoon pacing the living area. I was incredibly nervous and wondered if this is how my father felt when he first declared his love for my mother. He had said he was nervous. He had planned something like this and I hoped it worked as Eavana said it would.

The grandfather clock announced six and everyone came down from the study. The three of them were laughing and I smiled at Zion, my heart swelling up. He smiled at me and kissed my cheek as we all sat down at the table. Tomas was the last. Unfortunately, he sat beside me and I moved my chair closer to Zion. He looked at me curiously but I shook my head.

“How was your day?” he asked me.

“Just fine,” I said.

“You’re wearing your wedding dress,” he said suddenly and I flushed. “Why?”

“Just felt like wearing it,” I murmured.

“Well, I’m glad you did. I’ve always liked it.”

“Really?” I asked. “When we got married, you looked like you hated it!”

He laughed. “Well, we all know why I did that.”

Everyone made small talk and I fell silent at the dessert course. I was nervous but Eavana gave me an encouraging nod and I excused myself. I kissed Zion lightly on the lips and went upstairs. I paced the study, waiting for him to join me. I knew my behavior was making him worried; I could sense it. Knowing Zion, he’d follow me soon.

I was right. The door opened not two minutes later and I gave him permission to enter. He shut the door and took my hands.

“What is it?” he asked, looking deeply into my eyes. “And don’t lie to me.”

“Can I see your ring for a second?” I breathed.

His eyes were very confused as he slowly took it off. He handed it to me and I took mine off, shaking in nerves. I placed it in his hand and his aura was now worried. I swallowed a few times.

“When we got married, you loved me,” I whispered and he nodded. I took a deep breath and looked into his eyes. “Come in,” I said and Eavana walked in. Zion frowned as she shut the door and stood beside us. “I- I want to renew our vows, Zion.”

“Why?” he asked. “It’s only been four months. I told you tradition said-.”

“Because I love you,” I interrupted and he nearly dropped my ring. He took a step back and stared at his mother. “I want to marry you, Zion, if you’ll have me.”

He laughed breathlessly and went to kiss me but Eavana stopped me.

“Ah, ah, ah,” she said. “There’s the matter of some rings to do.” He laughed again and she turned to me. “Since he rushed through yours, I’ll make you rush through his.” I giggled. “Under the view of the goddesses, do you take this man to be your husband?”

“Yes,” I said, looking at Zion now.

His eyes were shining as he grinned at me.

“Zion,” his mother said but he didn’t look at her. She giggled. “Very well. Under the view of the goddesses, do you take this woman to be your wife?”

“Yes,” he said immediately.

I beamed as we put each other’s rings on the other’s finger. The second we were done, he took me by the face and pulled me in for a passionate kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck as Eavana sprinkled some of the daffodils and black rose petals over us. She stepped out and he immediately started taking my dress off of me.