‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Secrets

Two days later, we all gathered in Zion’s study. Everyone, that is, but Kassandra. I found that odd but Heather was acting normal so I didn’t dwell. Tomas took his crown off and put it in Zion’s desk for safe keeping. He was dressed in common clothing and Heather kissed his cheek, wishing him good luck. Zion shook his hand and Tomas smirked.

“What? I don’t get a kiss from my other sister?” he asked.

“My lips belong to one man,” I said, looking directly into his eyes.

His eyes flickered with annoyance but he smiled.

“Yes, of course. My dear brother,” he added, smiling at Zion.

Zion was staring at me, though, looking confused. I ignored him and we watched as Tomas stood in front of one of the paintings. It was one I had painted under Lebanon’s request. He explained to me what it looked like and I painted from his instructions. Lebanon muttered a spell and a swirling void opened.

“Good luck,” we all said in unison and he stepped through.

“Can you give us a few minutes?” Zion asked his family, still staring at me.

I sighed as everyone left. I wanted to leave, too, but his hold on my hand was tight.

“No,” I said. “It’s nothing, Z. Let’s just-.”

“You can’t lie to me, Aviel,” he said firmly. “The tension between the two of you can be cut with a knife. What in the world is going on?”

I hesitated. “I don’t think you really want to know the answer,” I said.

He narrowed his eyes. “You said you weren’t going to leave me.”

“I’m not!” I said, closing the gap and putting my arms around him. “Zion, I’m not leaving you at all. It’s just…. Tomas is…. I don’t know what he’s doing.”

He slowly put his arms around me, too. “Tell me what he’s done, Avi. Please.”

“You’ll just get mad,” I muttered.

“I’ll get mad regardless.”

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. “Only if you promise me something.”

“What?”

“When I tell you, you don’t attack him when he gets back. I could just be over reacting.”

He pulled me to the couch.

“The only time you over react is when I’m involved,” he said seriously. “I’ll promise to keep an open mind. Now tell me or I’ll have Mother come in here.”

I pouted, trying to make him laugh. He was too worried, though, and I ran a hand through my hair. I tugged on it and he stopped me.

“Avi,” he whispered, taking my chin. “I know you’ve been worried these last few days. It’s making me nervous. Don’t you remember? My feelings become yours and yours become mine. Please.”

I gulped and took his hands. He kissed my fingers.

“Remember the day you had an argument in here?” I asked and he nodded. “After that, we would pass in the halls or somewhere else in the house. I’d hear his voice and felt a cold draft on my neck where you bit me. At first I thought it was just my imagination.”

“What was he saying?” he asked with a frown.

“The first was that he was sorry you saw me first,” I said, shifting uncomfortably and his hands gripped mine tightly. “He also said it wasn’t too late. The second time he said it would be nice to have… company on this trip he’s on. The third time….”

“The third time what?” he prompted.

“The third time he said that I better not be on my own.” Zion growled and I stared into his eyes. “I could be imagining these things, Zion. It could be nothing.”

He shook his head. “No. You’re not imagining it, Aviel. He does this every time. Each time, though, the woman would cave in.” His face went sad. “They’re never able to resist.”

“Well, then it’s a good thing I’m not them,” I said. When he still looked doubtful, I sat in his lap. I untied my dress and showed him the bite marks from the other night and touched the ones on his neck. “I don’t care what happens around us, Zion. I am yours and you are mine. No amount of your brother’s jealousy will change that. But….”

“But what?” he asked, fixing my dress when we heard his parents’ voices.

“I need you to protect me,” I whispered. “Your brother… he frightens me.”

Zion kissed me and pulled me in for a hug. He rested his head on my chest and I ran my hand through his hair.

“I will always protect you, Aviel,” he whispered back, holding me tightly. “Even if it’s from my own family, I will always be there.”

I smiled and put my head on his.

“I love you,” we said in unison.

~

A relief I didn’t know I’d feel washed over me the moment I told Zion about Tomas. Now I could focus on my second concern:

Heather.

Kassandra was appearing at the table for meals again but they hardly talked to each other. During the day, one of them was holed up in the room and the other was doing chores or going outside. I knew their fertility issues were wearing on them and I was worried about Heather. Lately, I’ve noticed a change. She looked… well, she lacked her usual personality. She seemed duller and it was disturbing. So, after lunch one day, I found her in their bedroom.

“Come in,” she mumbled when I knocked.

I shut the door and sighed. She was still in bed, curled into a ball and staring at the wall. Her eyes were puffy and I sat beside her. I stroked her hair. It was getting dry.

“You’ve not been feeding from her,” I observed.

“She doesn’t want to,” she whispered, a tear traveling down her cheek. “Even though it’s having a negative effect on both of us, she’s too upset.”

“You need to tell her,” I said. “I know you want it to be a surprise, but if you keep it up for a week, then it will only get worse.”

“I’m scared, Aviel,” she said and I stared.

“Of what?”

“What if she doesn’t love me anymore?” she said, tears cascading. “What if she gets pregnant with Gerard and leaves with him?”

I sighed. “Gerard has a lover, too, remember? If I’ve learned one thing about love and unity, it’s that nothing can change it.” I heard footsteps and could sense that it was Kassandra so I spoke quickly. “You are my sister, Heather. I won’t keep watching you waste away like this. Tell her or I will.”

She glared. “You wouldn’t.”

I arched a brow just as the door opened. Kassandra came to a halt and her eyes filled with tears.

“It’s true,” she breathed. “You- How could you?”

It took me a minute to understand I grabbed her wrist before she could leave.

“No,” I said and shut the door. I forced her onto the bed next to Heather. “You two have been keeping your worries from each other and it needs to stop.” I looked at Kassandra, crossing my arms. “Who told you that Heather and I were having an affair?”

Heather’s jaw dropped as she sat up abruptly.

“Is that true?” she asked Kassandra who stared at her lap.

“Tomas said it,” she whispered.

I shook my head angrily.

“Of course I’m not having an affair!” Heather cried, taking Kassandra’s hand. “I love you! And Aviel is my sister!”

Kassandra’s lower lip quivered. “You’ve been spending time with her, though, and-.”

“I’ve been spending time with her because….”

She glanced at me.

“Tell her, Heather,” I whispered. “She needs to hear it from you.”

Heather gulped audibly and opened her night stand. With a shaking hand, she got out the envelope that had the letter from Gerard.

“I- We had an argument two weeks ago,” she said in a breathless voice. Kassandra nodded. “H-Here. This-This ca-ca-came in last week. I- It was going to be- Going to wait until your birthday but-.”

She couldn’t finish. Instead, she covered her face. Kassandra took the letter out slowly and read it. She covered her mouth with one hand. She looked at Heather, crying. She yanked Heather’s hands from her face and kissed her.

I backed out to give them some privacy.

~

To my pleasure, everyone was at the table that night and Heather looked much better. I just hoped it lasted during Kassandra’s impregnation.

“We’ll be having a guest in one week,” I said and Zion looked at me.

“What kind of guest?” he asked nervously.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “It’s already been cleared. It’s Gerard.”

Zion grimaced. “Have you brought him to torment me?” he asked. “Goddesses, what did I do to deserve that?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked as everyone else laughed.

“Gerard had the biggest crush on Zion growing up,” Heather explained to me. “For a while there, Gerard followed him like a little puppy.”

I giggled. “No, he’s not coming for you. He’s coming for….” I hesitated and looked at Heather and Kassandra. They both nodded. “He’s coming to help Heather and Kassandra have a baby.”

Eavana gasped. “You want to have a baby?” she breathed.

“For a while,” Kassandra nodded. “I didn’t realize how badly until you got here.” Eavana smiled at her belly. “We’ve… been discussing it.” She smiled and held Heather’s hand. “Heather wrote to Gerard behind my back.”

Zion stared at the two of them and suddenly left the table. I frowned.

Come with me.

I stood immediately, my body moving on its own. I looked at everyone but they were watching with concerned looks on their faces. I stopped outside Zion’s office and he opened the door.

He was glaring at me.