‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Recovery

Pitch was waiting for me and whinnied when he saw me. He bumped his head against my body. Two other horses were waiting and Lebanon got on the chestnut, Franc in his grasp. The vampire was staring at me in fear as I mounted Pitch. I felt something warm and sticky on my face and I used a shaking hand to touch it. Pitch followed behind the others as I drew my hand away. I whimpered. It was more blood.

When we got to the manor, Zion helped me off. He took my hand gently and led me back to the house. Heather screamed when she saw me but I couldn’t imagine why. Zion took me upstairs and to our washroom. He ordered hot water and sighed, looking me over.

“Oh, Avi,” he whispered. “I’m so sorry. This is my fault.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked and caught a glimpse of my hair over his shoulder.

He tried to stop me but I pushed him. I covered my mouth in horror. My blond hair was tinted red. Blood covered my face, neck, and chest. My dress clung to my body, drenched in the blood of the vampires Zion said I had single handedly murdered.

Patrice came in with several buckets full of hot water and poured them into the tub. She looked at me sadly and left, closing the door. Slowly, Zion took my dress off for me. I looked at him, desperately confused.

“Zion, what happened to me?” I asked.

“In the water, Avi,” he said, crying a little. “I’ll explain once you’re getting clean.”

I did as he said and he helped me by washing my hair. The atmosphere was grim as the water became bloody. When the blood was off of me, I stepped out. There were scratches on my arms I didn’t remember getting. Maybe it was from when I had fought the vampires? Assuming that really did happen, that is.

Zion wrapped a towel around me and took me into our bedroom. We stood in front of the fire and he took my head in his hands. He pressed his lips to mine but pulled away before I could kiss him back. I waited as he struggled for words.

“When faced with the high probability of death,” he said quietly, “your vampire will take over.” He held my hands tightly. “How much do you remember, Avi?”

I thought. “We argued and I wanted to clear my head. I got Pitch and we rode off into the forest. I was caught up in my thoughts when he stopped suddenly. I didn’t understand why until I heard the twig snap. There were five vampires. They were mocking me. That’s it.”

“You said they were spying on us,” he said. “I wonder if the enemy has a general idea of where we live so they put vampires on the outskirts. They must have reached the edge of our property and couldn’t go further.” He sighed and caressed my cheek. “And you crossed the edge.”

“I left the property?” I asked and he nodded.

“I don’t know what happened before we got there but… well, you saw the aftermath.”

“Are you saying I killed five men?” I whispered.

“Technically four,” he said. “I stopped you before you killed the other one.”

“Why can’t I remember it?”

“Because it was your vampire,” he said.

“Why haven’t you told me this before?” I asked.

“I never thought you’d be put in such a position,” he admitted. “Sit down; I’ll heal your wounds.”

“I don’t remember getting them,” I muttered but did as he said. “Of course, if I can’t remember murdering people then it makes sense.”

“Hey,” he said firmly and took my chin. “You didn’t murder anyone. You protected us and yourself. They would have killed you, too. Judging by the rope, it looks like they were going to kidnap you.”

“Will I ever remember them?” I asked.

“You might have glimpses,” he said. He started at my wrist and shook his head. “This never would’ve happened if I hadn’t bruised you. I’m so sorry.”

“Maybe it was a good thing,” I said and he stared at me like I was insane. “We found out that they know a general location.”

“But it came at the cost of your possible death,” he said. “It’s not worth it.”

“I’m sorry we argued,” I said.

“No. I am. I wasn’t thinking straight. Ever since Heather announced her true sexual feelings, people who knew ostracized her. They wouldn’t speak to her; they called her horrible names. It was an awful time for her. I was there for her as my parents were consumed by the war that started. Tomas mocks her; he thinks she’s an idiot and disgusting for loving a person of the same gender. I don’t want her to go through that much pain again.”

I sighed. “I wouldn’t have helped if I didn’t think it was for the best,” I told him. “I don’t know how I knew, but I knew it was needed.”

“I know. I know that now. Just please try to understand: my sister’s happiness is at stake. Frankly, if I had gotten there sooner, I would have killed those men instead. No one will hurt you.” His face went sad. “I promised to protect you but I didn’t come when you needed me.”

I shook my head and kissed him. “No, it’s not your fault. It’s mine.”

“No,” he said. “But that’s not what is important. All that matters is getting you better.”

“I’m fine, though.”

“For now,” he said. “The adrenaline is still coursing through you. You’ll get tired fast and then eventually crash for several days.”

I just nodded, not sure what else to say. He finished the bruise on my wrist then worked up my arms. When he was done, he pulled me in for a tight hug. I inhaled deeply and didn’t realize how therapeutic being near him was. I snuggled closer and he kissed the top of my head.

Then, without warning, I lost all strength. I whimpered and he rubbed my back.

“Shh, it’s okay,” he whispered.

“I can’t move,” I said, starting to panic.

“Don’t be scared,” he said. “This is what happens. Your body is coming down from the high. Just take deep breaths.”

I started to cry, horrified, but did as he said. He whispered words of comfort into my ear until I stopped crying. Someone knocked and he gave them permission to enter. It was Heather and she ran to me.

“Are you okay?” she asked, her face streaked with tears and Kassandra went to get a dress. “Did you get hurt?”

“I’m okay,” I said but my voice was weak. “I’m just weak and tired.”

“Here,” Kassandra said in a shaking voice.

They helped me with my undergarments and Zion put my nightgown on for me. I felt like everyone was putting on too much of a fuss but Zion silenced me when I started to protest. When he put me in our bed, though, I fought.

“No,” Eavana said from the doorway. She looked sad, too, as Zion gave her permission to enter. “We’ll be fine in your study once we have your permission.”

“You’re pregnant,” I argued. “You need the comfort of a bed instead.”

Zion rolled his eyes and Eavana pulled the blankets back.

“I’ll make you,” Zion threatened and I sighed.

“Zion, your mother,” I tried to protest.

He scooped me up then put me on the bed. The minute my head touched the pillow, I fell asleep.

~

It was warm, so very warm. And it tasted wonderful. Not as wonderful as Zion’s, granted, but definitely wonderful. I watched in pleasure as the head rolled away, staining the leaves red. Behind me, I heard frightened whimpering and I smirked.

I gasped and my eyes shot open.

“It’s okay,” Zion said.

He was sitting in bed beside me but pressing a cold rag to my forehead. I was still in our bedroom, shaking as if I had a bad fever. I rubbed my eyes, groaning as my limbs felt like lead.

“What time is it?” I asked in a raspy voice.

“Shortly before dinner,” he whispered. “Are you hungry?”

“Not for food,” I said and he bent over me.

I bit into his neck but was too weak to reach up and touch him. He sighed in happiness but didn’t touch me in anyway. I was a little disappointed but knew I wasn’t up to that kind of activity anyway. When I was done, I licked my lips and rubbed my eyes again. I felt a little stronger and sighed.

“How long have I been asleep?”

“Three days,” he said and I looked at him in shock. He smiled a little. “I told you it would take a while.”

“You need to shave,” I said after some silence and he chuckled.

“I thought you liked stubble.”

I scoffed. “When’s the last time you looked in a mirror, dear?”

He caressed my cheek. “I’ve been with you.”

“The whole time? Zion, you need to rest!”

“I have been,” he assured me. “I didn’t want you to wake up and me not be here, though.”

I yawned. “You’ve got a beard growing there.”

He wrinkled his nose. “I’m smoothing it out this time, though.”

I stared at him. “You don’t like having stubble?”

“Not really,” he admitted. “Long hair I can handle but stubble is too… I don’t know.”

“Then why-?”

“You said you liked it.”

I smiled tiredly. “I appreciate the fact you were trying to make me happy but I want you to look how you want. That includes your hair,” I added and he chuckled.

My eyes started to close again and he kissed my lips. My lips were chapped but he didn’t seem to mind.

“I don’t want to sleep more,” I slurred.

“Sleep, draga mea,” he said, stroking my hair. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” I managed before sleep consumed me again.