This War of Ours

Act One: The Hunt is Worth The Risk

Ellie, that’s her name. A strong and beautiful young woman that arose from the ashes left behind from the great war. A biochemical battle that turned it’s hosts into something vicious and ruthless. This is her story.

SEVENTEEN YEARS AFTER THE GREAT WAR:

Her finger lay softly against the trigger of a rifle, a weapon that belonged to her father when he was alive. In the air is exposed breath from a strong and tiring exhale, she’s waited out in the cold for some hours now, waiting for a sign of food to come trotting by. This was easier when her dad was around, he was always good look, two or three deer would show up and die just as quickly as they came in. But he’s gone, it’s just her now, hunting for survival. After eight long hours in the woods, she decided to give it a rest and head back to the Athena Colony. Just three years after the war, her father established a small campsite in an area with lush vegetation and beautiful two and three story houses. The fourth year came along and the colony was growing larger, walls began to surround the survivors and crops started growing in their designated areas. A solar farm was built just outside the walls, protected by an electric fence. The colony then started trade routes with the surrounding survivors and branched out to more and more people. The Athena Colony established its ground as one of the most successful places in the Pennsylvania area and still continues to flourish today.

“No luck?” Barnes asks Ellie as she approaches the front gate. He stands high in the watchtower, looking for any danger.

“No, not a damn thing out there today.” The gate buzzes and opens inward, a man greets her. Mac, he’s tall, handsome, British.

“You shouldn’t be out there alone. Can’t have the leader of our colony die.”

“You don’t have to worry about me, Mac.” She gives a reassuring smile, she’s right though. She’s tough as nails, ask anyone and they’ll tell you.

“You need some backup. In case the zeds come in full swarm.” He’s trailing behind her now. Looking at her long deep red hair pulled into a pony-tail, watching it flow gracefully in the wind.

“Fine. Next time I go, you can come with me. But, I’m not a damsel in distress, Macintosh.” She stops on the sidewalk and turns to him. “I know we have plenty of food here, we’ll never run out. But hunting gives me something to do. It makes me feel like dad is still here.”

“I understand, El. But I don’t want anything to happen to you.” He places his hand on her cheek but she removes it and continues walking.

“If you need me, I’ll be at his grave.”

Beautiful trees and oil lampposts make a trail to a large monument with wilted violet colored flowers surrounding it. Ellie stops at the base and kneels down, her eyes focused deeply on the grave. A tear slides down her cheek and drips onto the cracked concrete of the headstone. Her heart is empty; her lungs feel sore. Every time she comes here, the memory plays in her head. Her father brutally beaten by a raider gang and her little brother stolen. There was nothing she could do; she could only watch as they hit him until he died.

“I’m sorry, Dad. I’m gonna find Jonas. I promise.” She squeezes the flowers in her hand tight then drops them on the grave.

Night came with a beautiful thunderstorm, Ellie watched the rain drip down her bedroom window. Looking out beyond Athena, she could see the lights of other colonies. It reminded her of days that were simpler and they weren’t fighting for their lives. A knock at her door brought her back the grueling reality. Mac entered and gave her a smile as she turned.

“How ya doin?” He asks, leaning his rifle against the wall.

“I’m fine.” She says stern. “Did you just get off watch?”

“Yeah, how long has it been since we seen the last infected? Six…Seven months?”

“About that. I wonder where they are.” She looks back out the window. “Maybe concentrated in the city.”

“Probably.” Mac makes his way up behind her and brushes her hair away from her soft skin. He begins to kiss Ellie’s neck.

“No.” She says, pushing him away. “I can’t get into this, Mac.”

“Into what? A relationship? Jesus, El. When the hell are you gonna let your walls down?” He plops down on the bed and throws his hands in the hair, pissed at the current situation.

“I have other matters I need to attend to. I can’t get caught up in whatever you wanna call this.”

“Ellie…We’ve known each other for years, we shared something special.”

“We kissed, once. Years ago. Yeah, it was special then. But now I run a colony, and I have to search for my brother…god knows where he is.” She runs her fingers through her hair, agitated.

“I’m sorry, El. I know you have a lot on your plate. I just want you to give me a chance.” He smiles faintly and heads for the door.

“Wait.” She catches up to him and stares into his eyes for a moment before gently kissing his lips. She pulls away, his eyes still closed.

“That’s like kissing someone that’s drunk…it doesn’t count.” He snags up his rifle and walks out the door, leaving her standing there in the middle of the room.

The next morning greets Ellie with the swooshing noises of a helicopter. Her eyes jolt open and she runs downstairs and out onto the street. She overslept, there was too much on her mind and she needed some sleep. The plane lands in a small field and the propellers start to slow. The door on the side slides open and man jumps out. Dark skin, short hair, handsomely roguish.

“Tamin.” Ellie says, smiling. “God, I haven’t seen you in so long.” She jumps into his arms, they embrace each other like a family that's been torn apart and brought back together.

“It’s nice to see you, Ellie. It’s been awhile, a year maybe two.” He pulls away and kisses her forehead. “You’re growing up so much. Your father would be proud of this place.” Tamin, her father’s best friend, they served together overseas a few years before the great war. He’s like an uncle to her.

“Yeah, I know he would be. So I’m assuming this isn’t a social call?”

“You’re gonna freak out when I show you this.” He pulls out a tablet and clicks a few buttons, then shows her something. “It’s a military outpost with tons of weapons. I thought we could get together and take it.”

“Surrounded by zeds I assume?” She chuckles a bit. “So this would really help with trade routes. It could act as a place to stay the night when people are traveling, it could also be a weapons store. I’m in.”

“Alright, great. Can barrow some of your men?” He asks, not including her.

“Yeah. But I’m coming too.”

“No, you should stay here.”

“Tamin, I’m going with you. I need to be out there too.” She’s not backing down, she’s going with him, no if’s and’s or but’s.

“Okay, fine. Your dad would hate me for this.”

“Yeah, but he’s gone. I’ll get a team ready…”