Status: Active

All Good Things

Two

So the conversation hadn’t gone terrible. Abby had only called him a jackass once and dinner continued normally. She’s agreed to meet with a wedding planner and Zacky sighed, relieved. It wasn’t that he thought she was incapable, it just worried him that she didn’t have the time for it. She’d always push it for another day and then never get to it. Plus the arguments and stressors. It wasn’t good for their relationship and Zacky knew that full-well, having that experience prior.

Zacky offered to do the dishes while Abby showered. When she was finally upstairs, he sent a text to Cora.

[Zack: 7:47 p.m. ] Hey we can meet up tomorrow if that’s cool.

[Cora: 7:52 p.m. ] Perfect!

[Zack: 7:53 p.m. ] You know Barrio? It’s on Gothard.

[Cora: 7:54 p.m. ] Google knows all. See you @ 12!

He’d tell Abby the truth – kind of: that Cora was in for a meeting with someone else, that she was seeing Maddie and Johnny for dinner. But he wouldn’t tell her until tomorrow. Maybe it was a bad call on his part, but it was a call he was making. They’d been arguing about this wedding since a month into the engagement. Enough was enough.

When Abby got done in the shower, the dishes were put away and Zacky was watching ESPN, his phone locked and screen down on the couch’s armrest.

“Hey, let’s go to Barrio tomorrow for lunch.”

Abby smiled brightly. “Yes! Please. It’s been so long since we met for lunch.”

Zacky again felt relieved that she was pleased for now. He felt like he’d been walking on eggshells. “How does noon sound?”

“Great. Can you get out of the studio around then?”

Zacky nodded. “Sure I can.”

•••


The coward couldn’t do it over the phone. He’d thought about it, though. Took a really long walk around the building and tried to muster up the courage while Brooks worked on his fills. He couldn’t do it. So he sent a long text, explaining how little availability Cora had (maybe a lie), how she’d be in town today (truth), and how sorry he was (eh???)

He put the phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’ and went back in the studio to work with Brian, ignoring the slew of texts that he knew were coming in. ’I can’t believe you did this without me’ and ’I wanted a nice lunch with my future husband!’ and ’Guess being considerate is too much to ask of you.’

Noon rolled around quicker than he wanted and he ditched the guys to go to this meeting. He’d sent a quick ‘I’m sorry’ to Abby before making his way to Barrio, but she never replied. Zacky couldn’t shake the feeling that he was stuck – similar situation, different woman. History had a way of repeating itself.

When he parked near the entrance, he received a text message: Cora, alerting him that she was on her way inside to grab them a table. A pounding on the window startled him and he dropped his phone to his lap, gazing up to see Abby staring pointedly. He locked the phone, pocketing it quickly.

“Hey,” he got out of the car, scratching the back of his neck.

“Hey yourself,” Abby said. “I hope she doesn’t stay the whole time. I’d like a lunch with just you.” He’d bit his tongue from telling her that she sounded like a broken record – that he had gotten her texts and recognized that’s how she felt, but that was too bad. Instead he walked to the door, listening to his car beep as he locked it.

“She’s doing us a favor coming out here to meet.”

Abby shrugged. “Not really. She’s squeezing us in between another client and dinner with Johnny.”

This was true. Zacky stayed silent, pulling out his phone to reply that they were just walking in. He held the door and watched Abby brush passed him with a mumbled, ‘thanks.’

“Zack?” came a voice and he glanced up to see a short brunette woman standing in the foyer. “I’m Cora.”

Recognition struck him like a bullet. “You’re Cora! Oh my God. I remember you from Johnny’s wedding.”

She nodded, smiling brightly. “You were the one with the lip piercings who talked to me about how my industrial matched your friend’s.” Zacky stilled at the mention of Jimmy.

Cora remembered a few other tipsy conversations Zack had with her over the course of that reception, but she kept her mouth shut.

“Cora, hi,” Abby interrupted, extending her hand which Cora shook instantly.

“Nice to meet you, Abby. I got us a table.” Cora let the hostess lead them to it. She sat across from his fiancé, setting her bag on the floor. “Can I see the ring?” God, it was like Cora could read her in an instant. Abby’s favorite thing was showing off that rock. Of course she extended her hand instantly, smile wide. “Oh, wow! Zack, nice job.” He nodded, thanking her but not really paying too close attention. His stomach growled and his focus was on the menu in front of him.

“So Zacky tells me you’re a wedding planner,” Abby spoke. “I’m not convinced we need one.”

Zacky held back a sigh, suddenly feeling that this wasn’t going to go well. The waitress came over to take their orders. Of course Zacky knew what he wanted – their specialty chalupa and a cold beer. The girls didn’t order alcohol, but he felt that he needed it. His attention trailed off to the TV above the bar, a ball game on as Abby told Cora how busy her schedule was, but how she could handle it.

His mind traced back to Johnny’s wedding, realizing how fuzzy most of that night had been. Johnny sure as shit knew how to throw a party and there were way too many shots after the ceremony. But he did remember Cora’s hair pulled back and her industrial piercing gleaming in the uplighting of the reception hall. It’d caught his attention and he had to mention it to her. Back when he had his snakebites. He vaguely remembered asking if she had any tattoos, but that was the extent of his knowledge of their interaction.

He blinked, being brought back to their current conversation.

“I understand your apprehension. The wedding day is a huge event and you want every detail perfect. And it will be – if you book me or not.” As Cora spoke, Zacky raised an eyebrow. Oh, shit. She was done for. Abby already made up her mind. “If you have your mind set already, I won’t try swaying you.” When his beer came, he took a hefty gulp of it and sighed. “I’m not gonna waste either of your time. But your fiancé called me because he’s concerned that you’re too stressed already before this planning has even begun. And we don’t want you feeling that way. It’s a time to celebrate.”

“I don’t mean to make it seem like I doubt your ability,” Abby insisted. “I just want to make the decisions for my wedding.”

Our, Zacky corrected in his head, but said nothing.

“Absolutely. That’s a common misconception of this field. I don’t do that, not often. There are rare brides who want nothing to do with the planning and want me to do it all. But about 97% of the time I work alongside the bride as she makes decisions. There are so many little details and it’s often overwhelming contacting vendors and scheduling meetings and finding time for all of this planning while you’re working and going to dress fittings and seeing what’s all out there for your big day.”

Zacky knew this first-hand. He and Gena had forgotten so much shit: tipping the officiant, getting boutonnieres and corsages for the in-laws, aisle decorations…Gena had been so exhausted and pissed off by the end of it, neither of them enjoyed their day. Everyone had told her to get a planner, but she was convinced she could do it herself. She wanted to show them. What she showed them was how little prepared they were. And if they didn’t book Cora, Zacky could see this happening all over again.

He took another drink.

“So you’ll schedule and stuff for us?” Abby asked.

“I can, if that’s what you need. Or I can tag along to help or speak to the vendors myself and bring you samples and options. The only thing I tell my brides is that I will not book anyone for them. My policy is that it’s your money and you have to handle the funds yourselves. So I will not meet with the vendors and sign contracts for you – that’s on you guys.”

“So do you have any suggestions of vendors to book with or do you just let us figure it out?” Zacky asked.

“I’ve worked with a bunch of vendors over the years and I’ve established a pretty good relationship with a handful of them. If I think they’re a good fit for you guys, of course I’ll recommend them, but the decision is ultimately up to you who you book with,” Cora explained.

Their food came then and the conversation slowed, everyone clearly hungry. Abby asked a few more questions about what – exactly – she does if she were stumped on where to start with the planning. Cora explained that she offers a nudge to get things going.

Zacky spoke up then. “You’d be surprised how much you’ve already thought of, Abby. Like colors and stuff. From there, it gets the ball rolling.”

Abby stilled, “Speaking from experience there, Zacky?” He silenced again, shoulders slumping as he returned to his food. Cora sat nervously, uncomfortable with the reaction. Abby explained, “He’s been married before, so.” She returned to her food and Zacky glanced up sheepishly toward Cora who was looking at him, lips slightly parted, exasperated look on her face.

She pursed her lips, nodding slowly, and then sending Zacky a sad smile. “Well then I’m sure he’s got some good suggestions to make your day even better.” He looked up at her, appreciating that she had his back in this. He sat straighter, smiling softly at her.

“Yeah, well…we’ll see,” Abby cooed. “But you’ve got a lot of ideas, I take it.” She glanced at Zacky. “It might be nice knowing the best of the best in the area.” There she went again, ‘the best of the best.’ Abby had told him before that she wanted to outdo his last wedding. It clearly bothered her that he was married before, but what could he do about it? There was no denying it.

“I know my decision already,” Zacky offered, looking pointedly at Cora who held up her hands.

“Oh, no, pressure at all. You guys take your time and-”

“I agree. It’s getting closer and I could use some help.” At Abby’s admittance, Zacky bit back a smirk. Damn, he loved when he was right.

Cora smiled, shaking her head. “Well, alright then. I have paperwork only because I have another client I’m signing with at 2. We can wait and meet later or just do it now.”

“Now,” Zacky suggested, Abby giving him a look. “You’ve been so scattered with work meetings and with the studio…it just makes sense to do it now.”

Reluctantly, Abby agreed. “I don’t have cash on me – just a card.”

“I got it.” Zacky had made a run to the ATM before he went in to the studio that morning. Yanno, just in case.

They discussed the paperwork after the table was cleared. Deposits, payment, contact information – it was all taken care of and relief flooded Zacky when he signed.

“There’s actually a bridal show on Friday. A few of the vendors I recommend are going. It’s a good way to start getting ideas,” Cora informed them as they walked to the parking lot. “I can send you some information tonight if you’d like.”

“That’d be helpful,” Abby agreed, pulling her keys out of her purse.

“Have fun with Johnny tonight,” Zacky laughed before Cora shook their hands and made her way toward her car.

“Thanks! I will.”

“See?” he spoke quietly to Abby. “I knew you’d like the idea.”

“I like that she’ll let me have control,” she spoke. “Otherwise? I could do it myself. Scheduling meetings is boring anyway, let her do it.”

Zacky rolled his eyes. “See you after work,” was all he said.