Status: On-going

Start of a Lifetime

Chapter Two

“I’m Harry Whales and I guess we’ll be sharing the tent then.” He said taking my hand in his, a shockwave of electricity went through my entire body. And by the look on his face, he’d felt it as well.

“I guess we will” I answered, my cheeks heating up as our eyes connected. “It’s nice to meet you and thanks for falling in during your holiday, we really appreciate it,” Harry said with a serene voice.

“No worries, I’m glad I could help out,” I assured him, taking my hand back.

I stayed for a bit longer getting to know the team and the people. Exchanged phone numbers before I decided that I should head home. The exhaustion was getting too much and it felt as I was dragging my legs.

“I’m sorry guys, it was nice to get to know you, but I should probably get home seeing as I haven’t slept since China.” I started excusing myself, looking at the people in the room.

“Sure, don’t worry about it. Get home and get some sleep will see you the day after tomorrow.” Harry said to me, the corner of his lips turned up.

going around the room, I said goodbye to everyone with the promise of meeting them at the airport Friday morning.

Walking towards the elevators I heard somebody yell out my name. “Liv wait up, I’m headed to Kensington maybe I could drop you off at your building,” Harry said while I pushed the elevator button.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll just take a cab home,” I assured as we walked onto the elevator.

“Come on, you’re tired, probably exhausted and you’re gonna take a cab home. I’m headed that way anyway just let me drop you off,” Harry said.

“And by you, you mean your driver and buddy over there,” I said, pointing my thumb to his RPO in the corner of the elevator with a chuckle.

“Yes, by me, I mean My buddy here and my driver.” He said laughing.

“Come on, let us drive you home that way you don’t have to worry about falling asleep in a cab.” He said, concern lacing his voice.

” Fine, I give up, I’ll take you up on your offer,” I agreed. Putting my hands up in surrender, leaning against the side of the elevator.

“Thank god for that, I thought I was going to have to carry you in my car.” He stated jokingly as we got out of the elevator.

“Right, like I would let you,” I retorted, punching him in the arm.

“Aw god women, where did a tour guide get that muscle and punch.” He said while rubbing his arm.

“I may be a tour guide, but that doesn’t mean that I’ve got no muscle,” I told him as I got in the car, as he held the door open.

“Well, where did you get that muscle.” he repeated his earlier question, now more serious.

“I’m quite the adventurer I suppose. I’ve been riding a horse since I was 3, I like anything that gives you an adrenaline rush I suppose.” I explained, shrugging my shoulder. Before turning my head and looking out the window. It was like my last shred of awakeness was slipping through my hands, my eyes closing every second. With every flutter of my eye, it took longer to keep them open. my head feeling like lead as I tried to keep myself from falling asleep.

“Liv, liv, Olivia wake up was at your place.” I heard somebody say in the back of my mind while shaking me softly.

“Mmm, what?”I mumbled, opening my one eye a little bit, sleep sounded so much better.

“Liv were at your place. Come on I’ll help you up before you fall asleep walking.” I heard Harry’s voice say somewhere around me before a door opened, followed by mine.

“Come on, I’ll help you up.” He said taking my hand and pulling me towards him as he helped me out of the car. Just followed him sleepily, dragging my feet, my eyes opened the tiniest bit. Not really realising that it was a Prince taking care of me while I was just tagging along.

I recognised the soft buzz of the elevator as we rode up to my floor, barely aware of the fact he asked for my keys.

Somewhere along the way he’d opened my front door and let me guided me inside. Telling me to get a good night’s sleep before kissing me on the cheek and leaving.

I got to my room, pulled the luggage of my bed changed and crawled into bed. Not bothering with changing and just pulling off my jeans.

The next morning I woke up because of buzzing sound somewhere around me. Hearing it a couple of times I finally realised it had to be the buzz of the doorman downstairs.

getting up, nearly falling over my luggage along the way. cursing my way down to the phone connected to the lobby I answered. “Miss Stevens there’s a florist down here, Can I let them up.” I heard the voice of the security guy ask.

“sure let them up.” I agreed. looked down at myself, I realised I was only dressed in my knickers and tank top I had been wearing before.

So I ran back up the stairs and pulled on my jeans, still laying on the floor and my blouse from the end of my bed. before a knock at my door made me go down again.

Pulling the door open, I saw the delivery guy holding a beautiful bouquet of lilies and roses. “A bouquet of lilies and roses for miss Stevens,” he informed me, looking over the bouquet.

“Yes Thank you very much.” I thanked him, accepting the bouquet, unconsciously smelling the flowers in my hands.

“Your welcome ma’am.” he smiled with a nod of his head before he turned and walked off in the direction of the elevator.

closing the door behind me, I leant down to smell them again and noticed a small card attached.

’ – Thanks for joining us on the trip and blowing up your holiday – the team - ’

‘oh, how sweet of them.’ I thought to myself as I walked to the kitchen, pulling out a vase from underneath the sink and putting them in it.

‘But what the hell am I going to do with these flowers when I leave for 5 weeks tomorrow.’ I thought to myself as I looked at them standing on my kitchen island.

I guess I’ll take them with me when I visit my family today.’ I concluded. As I started preparing some breakfast or better-said lunch I saw a small folded paper laying on my kitchen island.

’ – I hope you slept well, do you want to ride with me to the airport tomorrow morning? Text me – H -’

And then everything came back on how I got home. Harry made sure I got home after the craziness.

I guess I’ll have to thank him later for that. I can’t believe a Prince took me home last night and made sure I made it home okay.

After I finished eating breakfast and changing in some other clothes I went down to the garage.

When I got behind the wheel my phone pinged with a text message from my friend Autumn. Saying that she would be coming to London.

Before I started the car, I called her. Wanting to know what she meant seeing as I was leaving London. There wasn’t really a reason for her to visit. they never did when I was gone.

she hadn’t said anything yesterday when I had called them yesterday to inform them of the new agenda.

“Hey, Autumn what do you mean you’re coming to London. You do know that I leave for Greenland tomorrow, right?” I chuckled, resting my hands on the steering wheel, leaning forward.

“ What I mean is that I applied for a to a primary school in Chelsea and I got hired. I didn’t tell you anything cause nothing was sure yet. Until this morning when I got a call saying that I start working 2 weeks from now.” she started explaining as I gave a small wave at the guy walking through the garage, he had to live in the building. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be walking through the place, but then again, I was barely here. It’s not like I would know anyone except for my direct neighbours.

“OMG autumn that’s great, do you already have a place or? And How come that you’re starting in the middle of the school year I mean we’re the beginning of April.” I started rambling, excited with the news that she had gotten a new job and in London none the less.

“Yea a Teacher is leaving on early retirement after the Easter holidays so I guess I got lucky. apparently, our early experience as interns with disabled children and toddlers helped. I don’t know.“ she said, and I could imagine she was shrugging her shoulders.

“And for a place I was hoping that I could stay at yours for a little while until I find my own place.” she continued after a pause.

“hey. You can move in with me that way you don’t have to search for your own place and it’s not like I don’t have any place. I bought a Four-bedroom apartment but I’m barely home. Just move in with me will agree on something.” I told her, not even having to think about the matter, it would be great that I could come home to someone. always coming home to an empty apartment was getting quite lonely.

“Yea I guess I can pay you sort of rent until we divided the price in two of when you bought it.” she suggested with a happy sigh, the excitement of the news evident in her voice.

“Yea sure if that’s what you like but we’ll talk about once I come back,” I told her, not really seeing why she’d pay, we were friends after all.

“But wait a second that means that you’ll be moving in, in like this week or something.” I changed the subject, only realising it now.

“ Yea, sounds good and yeah, I know you’re gone, but Jens, Mia, and Daphne agreed to help me move next week. And could you ask your grandparents if I could move my two horses to their farm?” she asked.

“sure, I’m really sorry I can’t help you move. I’ll inform the doorman of the fact that somebody is moving in. Make sure you have a second key, and I”ll ask my grandparents today, I’m on my way over to them now.” I promised her before we talked a bit longer.

***

driving through the gate of my grandparents’ home my sister Elize greeted me on her horse. “Hey Liz, you done riding for the day,” I smiled, knowing my sister rode every day, not training or anything but just for fun.

“Yeah, I’m done for the day, although I wouldn’t mind riding again if you joined me.“ she suggested, riding alongside the car, having slowed down to a slow pace so we could talk.

"We could take a walk next to the creek it’s a lovely day to ride.” she added, looking in that direction over the roof of the car.

“Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe later though first I wanna see if Jesse and Nathan behaved themselves.” I chuckled, knowing those two weren’t the best of buddies. it had improved since moving here, but then the arguing and fights continued.

“they did, don’t worry, I’m just gonna unsaddle Iris,” she said as we reached the back of the house as she took the direction of the stables. Following her with my eyes. I noticed that the new stable had finally gotten it’s shape, while I was gone and smiled. I couldn’t wait to have it ready.

the moment I walked through the back door, I was greeted by the of barking from the dogs. having to lean down and pet every one of them for them to finally shut up.

Being careful of the bouquet I got with me, along the way, some water had spilt out.

“Gramps, gran, Jesse, Nathan, are you here?” I called out, walking in the hallway connecting the boot room and Kitchen.

“we’re in the kitchen.” I heard them yell out.

When I get into the kitchen I’m was hit with something small and hard called Nathan.

“Hey bud, did you miss me?” I smiled, looking down at him, placing the vase on the table, before crouching down.

“Of course, I did,” he smiled, throwing his arms around my neck. “Will you read me a story for bed?” he asked, looking at me with hopeful eyes.

“Of course,” I smiled, it having become a tradition when I came here after a tour. I would tell him about it as a bedtime story.

“Yay” he smiled, before he turned around and walked away towards the living room. Probably to watch the tv and my suspicion was confirmed when I heard the intro of Thomas the steam engine.

“I can’t believe he still likes that cartoon after all these years,” I said chuckling whilst shaking my head.

“Hey Gran, Gramps,” I said, now getting the chance to walk up to them and give them a hug.

“Yea still loves the cartoon-like he’s two years old,” Gramps said chuckling. “He’s three gramps.” I pointed out with a chuckle.

“Where’s Jesse?” I asked, looking around the kitchen.

“he’s playing football in the barn, like usual. What do you have here?” Gran questioned, pointing towards the flowers I had placed on the table.

“I got them this morning from the team that I will join in Greenland. But I can’t keep them at my apartment seeing that I will be away for 5 weeks.” I explained, pulling back a chair so I could sit down.

“Yea, I still can’t believe you gave up your holiday for that.” Gran shook her head in disbelief.

“What was I supposed to do Gran, their really nice people, and I would feel guilty later if I didn’t do it,” I told her and she knew all too well it would be like that.

“ Yea, you’re probably right.” she agreed, looking back at the flowers.

“ and I also bought some groceries but they’re still in the car, I’ll go get them,” I told them, getting back up.

My sister joined me when I reached the trunk of my car and she helped me get the groceries inside and put them away.

“hey, would you guys mind if I went for a ride with Elize?” I asked, looking back at gran and gramps.

“No of course not go for a ride. It’ll do you good.” gramps smiled.

So Liz and I went into the horse barn and saddled up my horse and my sister saddled up another horse.

When we left the barn my brother Jesse came out of the other barn. Nearly spooking the horses with the speed he was running with. We stopped for a minute or two to talk before the horses got impatient to move again. Taking the path that would run alongside the creek, ending in a pond on the property.

“So Liz, you still seeing that psychologist?” I asked her, looking over at her.

“No, I stopped going the first week you were gone. I just can’t talk about it,” she explained and I understood more than anyone else ever would. We were wearing the same shoes after all.

“hey you don’t need to apologise to me, I’m not any better instead of processing our past. I’m running away to other countries. But it does help to not live in Belgium anymore.” I told her, the way I saw it. hoping it would give her some comfort.

“Yea it does, I’m glad you persuaded us to come here, although I was against it in the first place.” she chuckled.

“we’ll get there slowly, We just need more time to process it,” I said to her, giving her what I hoped was an assuring smile.

“yeah. But still you’re turning 23 next week and you’re not even here and the last time we had to go through that was 10 years ago.” she objected, looking at me.

“Yea it might be 10 years but that doesn’t mean we processed it. I’m not even close to it, the only thing I do is work my butt off and flee to other countries.” I told her, not hiding the small matter.

“Does that make you feel so much safer?” my sister asked.

“I don’t know do you feel better knowing that you live here now and he’s back in Belgium. I mean we changed our last names and moved to Britain. Although Frederik, Mom and David are still in Belgium which I couldn’t care less about. I do feel better knowing that he has less of a chance of finding us.” I explained,

“ Yea ,it does make me feel better knowing that I live here so you’re probably right.” she agreed with me.

“ Who are you and what have you done to my sister?” I asked with a chuckle. “what do you mean?” my sister said laughing.

“I mean, that this is one of the few times we agree on something, I guess it’s true, then wisdom does come with age.” I teased her, which earned me a punch in the arm.

All of a sudden, I felt the need for a competition as I looked back at my sister. I wanted to beat her ass.

“Hey, that last one at the creek has to cook dinner tonight,” I announced, kicking the horse so it would speed up.

Now this is freedom feeling the wind go through your hair as the horse speeds through the countryside. I knew that my sister was gaining distance. She wasn’t one to lose a challenge, but I was not going to miss the chance to beat her in one of our games.

Just when the pond came in the view and my sister was getting the upper hand, I leant forward to gain speed. And just when I got to the pond I saw that the earth around the creek was awfully slippery and tried to slow down.

Having managed to slow down Arion in time, I forgot that my sister was behind me. My sister ran into me with her horse and we both ended up with the horses included in the pond.

“ Nice one sis. Nice one. Gran’s going to kill us when she sees us.” I told her, throwing a sisterly glare at her.

“Hey, I wasn’t the one who wanted to race. So don’t blame me.” she defended herself.

“okay, fine blame me. I’m gone tonight anyway,” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

climbing from Arion’s back I swam in front of him, pulling the reign and pulling ourselves from the pond. looking down at Looking down at him I wanted to make sure he didn’t injure himself.

“Come on, we should probably head home before we catch a cold,” I suggested. Climbing back on Arion’s back.

“Did you hurt yourself or the horse?” I asked her, concerned about her and the horse she was riding.

“No, she’s fine as far as I can tell, and my foot is a bit sore but I’m fine you.” She replied while looking at me

“hey, what did you do.” She questioned, looking at me whilst leaning forward.

“You’re bleeding from your head.” She explained as I shot her a questioning look. she motioned to her own forehead as I reached out to my own. And indeed I felt blood trickle down my head and felt a cut on my head.

“Shit, come on we should get home and get the doctor,” Liz suggested. Turning her horse around in the direction of our grandparent’s house and the stables.

So we headed home at an easy pace not knowing for sure if the horses hurt themselves or not.

I would check them out once we got home. After all, I did have some experience with animal medicine.

Because I had worked as an assistant for 6 years with a veterinarian. My sister was constantly questioning me if I still felt okay. I guess my grandparents knew something was wrong cause they were waiting for us once we got home.

“ What did you guys do?” my grandfather asked, seeing our drenched clothes and the cut on my head. “It’s my fault gramps, I wanted to race Liz to the creek and the ground was slippery. We fell In , I’m sorry” I immediately admitted, taking the blame. it was my fault after all.

“It’s okay, did you hurt yourself?” he questioned my sister.

“My foot was a bit sore, but it’s feeling better already. I’m more worried about that cut on her head.” Liz threw me a worried look.

“okay, now I know sure that somebody switched places with you.“ I teased. "first, we’re agreeing on something and now. You’re worried about me and by the way.” I explaining ticking off my fingers.

“and by the way you’re cooking tonight,you lost the race after all,” I told her smugly.

“But I guess it won’t be too bad seeing that she still has a big mouth.” Liz pointed out with a laugh, looking between me and our grandparents.

“ Come on, we should get the horses saddled off. Make sure they’re okay, put a blanket on them and then we’ll call the doctor to look at your head. You’re leaving tomorrow again, after all. ” My grandfather suggested, taking the reign of Arion in his hands.

After saddling of the horses making sure they were alright and putting blankets on them. We put them in their stables.

knowing they weren’t hurt too badly. But Gramps assured me that the vet was going to come tomorrow anyway. One of the horses that stayed here from another owner would need checking. He would let the two horses check out as well.

heading inside Gran had already called the GP and my sister had started cooking.

I put a towel on my head cause the cut was still bleeding and an ice pack on top of it. And sat on the couch next to my brother Nathan and my dog Alasse sat on my lap.

the GP arrived not long after and stitched me up. 9 stitches all for a stupid cut. When he was gone, we ate dinner and watched some tv.

looking at the clock I realised I should probably go, but I still had to fulfil my promise to Nathan. suggesting to give him a bedtime story early he agreed.

When I was done, I kissed him goodnight, before going down and saying goodbye to my family. we had gotten used to this after all. it wasn’t as tough as it had been in the beginning, but it didn’t mean it was easy.

Once I got in my car I noticed that my phone had been in the car all day long, so pushing the button, the screen lit up and I saw

- 7 missed calls and 6 texts all from Harry.

on the screen. 'Shit’ I thought. I remembered that he asked for me to call him on that letter on my kitchen island. 'Well, nothing I could do about it now.’ I shrugged my shoulders. 'I’ll call him on the way home.’ I agreed.

driving out of the driveway, I spoke to the system for them to call Harry. his voice resonating through the speakers. :“ Finally, I taught you disappeared from the face of the earth.”

“Well good evening to you too,” I stated sarcastically.

“sorry, I just got worried when you didn’t answer.” He answered. Well, that’s weird why in the hell is a Prince worrying about me. He’s only known me for a day I thought he was probably worried for the expedition.’ I realised.

” Yea sorry I just visited my grandparents and left my phone in the car,” I explained, not really understanding why I was explaining myself to basically a stranger.

“ah so was it nice to visit your family? I mean you were away for three weeks.” He answered.

“ Yeah, it was nice to see them again. Me and my sister went riding and she made dinner. It was nice to spend some time with my little brother and family. catching up with my grandparents and all.”

“did your mother go somewhere?” he questioned.

“ Oh no, she’s still in Belgium but that’s complicated,” I replied. looking at the road as I continued talking to him.

“We’ll I’ve got time.” he explained and I could nearly see him leaning back in a chair or something.

“Yea, and if I get pulled over and get a fine for calling I’ll give you the bill,” I said laughing.

“Well, you do know that I can make that disappear right.” He laughed as well in a suggestive manner. “Right like you can do that?” I asked him in a daring tone.

“Probably not, but I’m sure my gran could.” he pointed out with a chuckle.

“I’m sure she couldn’t. But I’ll tell you tomorrow on the plane that’s if you still want to know and want to sit next to me.” I challenged him. I don’t know what it was but I felt comfortable with him like with no other men unless it was Jens. But that was another reason he was like my brother.

I normally had a difficult time trusting men, but yet with him, I felt like I could tell him anything. “Of course, I still want to hear it and want to sit next to you.” He answered immediately, not missing a beat.

“But anyway I’ll make it short seeing as you’re driving. Do you want me to pick you up tomorrow morning and yeah with me, I mean my driver and my buddy.” He said chuckling at my previous statement.

“Sure, if it’s not too much trouble, it would be nice to not have to drag the luggage into a cab,” I answered. Actually looking forward to seeing him.

“ Of course, it’s not too much trouble. I’ll pick you up at four in the morning, is that alright?” he questioned.

“ It’s alright, we leave at 7 so it good to be a little early. Why don’t you come in tomorrow morning and I’ll make some breakfast before we leave.” I suggested, taking a turn on the road.

“sure if it’s not too much trouble,” he asked. “I wouldn’t ask if it was trouble. I’ll see you tomorrow morning,” he told me and I heard a smile in his voice, or maybe I was just imagining things.

“Yea, see you tomorrow morning bye.” I smiled “Bye,” I added before ending the call.

So when I came home at 9’o clock that evening I still had to pack my luggage, the stuff that wasn’t in the sledge. and even then some things in it wouldn’t fit me as I was taking the sledge of Conrad but still.

Clothing wasn’t included. A coat of Walking with the wounded and some other items of walking with the wounded would be given to me. I would get tomorrow morning at the airport before the Photocall. So I had to make sure that there was still some space left for that tomorrow morning.

After finishing my packing, I took a quick shower. I made sure the band aid covering my stitches was still intact and went to bed. Bandages I would have to buy at the airport tomorrow morning.

My alarm went off at 3.30 so I could make some breakfast before Harry arrived. and at exactly 4o’clock there was a knock at the door.

I opened the door and there he stood grinning from ear to ear. I still couldn’t believe that of all people, all men to feel comfortable around. I felt comfortable around a Prince.

“Hey, come in, I just finished cooking. I hope you like pancakes and juice cause I don’t have any coffee pads or tea anymore.” I told him, moving aside, so he could move in the apartment.

Just then did I see that he had 2 coffee mugs with him. “Guess that I’m prepared for that.” He chuckled, holding the mugs up as he came inside and kissed me on the cheek.

“God, what did you do?” he asked, pointing towards my head. “That’s a long story.” I pointed out with a shrug of my shoulders

“ Well, we’ve got half an hour before we leave.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So Here's the second Chapter. I hope you enjoy it, let me know what you think :)

Liv's outfit as she goes to see her family: https://phff-start-of-a-lifetime.tumblr.com/post/157451782402/liv-goes-and-visits-her-family-before-leaving-to?is_related_post=1