Status: On-going

Start of a Lifetime

Chapter Three

“So what, did you do anyway to get that Band-Aid under which I assume are stitches right?” he snickered as he was sitting down at the kitchen island.

“I fell into the creek near my grandparent’s house,” I explained, sipping the cup he had brought.

“And that’s why you have a Band-Aid on your forehead” he snickered again.

“You know if you’re gonna laugh at me, I might as well kick you out and take a cab.” I threatened, the grin on my face betraying myself.

“No, no I promise I won’t laugh at you, please tell me.” He said putting his hand on top mine that was lying on the kitchen island between us.

“so tell me why do you have stitches?” he questioned, motioning to my head with his finger.

“Who said that I had stitches? “I teased, picking at my food. “So, you don’t have stitches. Well, then it must be for decoration at the Photo Call in an hour.” he pointed out with a chuckle.

“Ooh, bloody hell I forgot that the press was going to be there and I’m looking like a bloody idiot.” I muttered, dropping my head, I wanted to kick myself.

“Hey you don’t look like and idiot, but tell me what happened.” He assured me, rubbing my upper arm.

“Yesterday, as you know I went to my grandparents home in Effingham, they live on a farm. So when I was there me and my sister went for a ride that runs next to a creek.” I told him while eating the pancakes and drinking the coffee he brought.

“And then you just fell into the creek.” He asked genuinely, his legs turned towards me as he listened intently

“No, I wanted to race my sister to the pond at the end of the creek. When I slowed down my sister ran into me with her horse, it was slippery so we both fell in with horses and all. I must have hit a branch and cut my head.” I admitted ashamedly of the fact that after almost 20 years of riding experience I had managed to fall into the creek.

“Did your sister hurt herself or the horses?” he asked sincerely concerned.

“No, my sister was fine. I checked the horses out, cause I have a bit of experience with veterinary practice, they seemed alright. But gramps would let them get checked out by the vet today. And that’s how I ended up 9 stitches.” I answered, pointing to my head, finishing my breakfast.

Harry joined me at the kitchen sink to do the dishes. We talked a bit for a bit longer before getting my luggage and going downstairs.

“Hey, will you help me remind to get some waterproof Band-Aids at the airport. So I can change it when we get to Greenland,” I asked him.

“Sure.” When we got to the entrance hall I walked over to the doorman and I saw that it was Paul. “Hey, Paul. Could I leave my key here, cause a friend of mine is moving to London? She’s moving in with me and I haven’t had time to make a spare key.” I asked him and I saw him looking over my shoulder at Harry probably a bit surprised to see the Prince standing there.

“Sure. Why don’t I ask maintenance to make a spare key? I’ll inform security about the fact that somebody is moving in your apartment as well. Just make sure that she comes down to security so that she can sign the papers about security.” He suggested politely, he always was a friendly man. Somewhere in his sixties and always cared for each and every person living in the building.

“Yeah, that would be great and give my friend both keys, I’ll tell her that to come down and sign the papers.” I thanked him before picking up my luggage at my feet and walking outside.

“Why don’t you get into the car, I’ll put the luggage into the car,” Harry suggested, his hand taking the handle I was still holding as well. my cheeks heating up. letting go of the handle he took the luggage over for me and put them in the trunk of his Range Rover.

Once he got into the car the car we left and started riding towards Heathrow.

“So you said that you had some experience with veterinary practice, how come?” He questioned, his body turning to me.

“When I was younger, I wanted to become a vet, I guess every girl does. Anyway when I was twelve I asked our vet if I could help assist her during free days, holiday and she agreed. So up until I was 19. basically, when I started going to Uni I had to stop working with her. During those years, I learned a lot.” I told him while pulling my legs underneath me.

“You must of have, and what did you do there.” He asked turning towards me completely.

“I did, I helped operating, assisting with everything she did. At the end of those years. We both felt comfortable enough to let me do the routine procedures such as sterilising dogs and cats.“ I told him proudly, it had been a great few years.

“But horses were her speciality. She had an artificial insemination station for horses and knew almost everything about them.” I kept on explaining, I loved talking about the things I knew. Share the knowledge I had. Wasn’t that the job description of being a guide after all.

“How come you are so mature in everything you do? I mean you graduated Uni with honours Luke and Conrad told me. You immediately started working as a guide for intrepid travel at the age of 21.” he stated, our hands nearly touching on the seat between us.

“Conrad told me that they normally don’t let people start working as a guide until you’re 23. Yet at 21, you were travelling the world telling people about the countries they visit,” he commented, leaning a bit more towards me.

“I just thought it was now, but hearing you, you probably were mature when you were 12? How does that come?” he questioned, his eyes shining with curiosity.

“You know in my life I’ve had a lot of hardship thrown my way. I’m not looking for sympathy.” I immediately told him. “Everyone has their story,” I added, tilting my head to the side, pulling my one shoulder up at the same time before continuing.

“I guess I should be thankful for it. Because if I learned one very important lesson from it. Is that you can only strengthen by enduring hardship.” I told him, continuing in my explanation.

“Yea I guess you’re right but still you’re not like any other 22 years old I’ve ever known.” he pointed out.

“Yea well no two persons are the same,” I answered looking him straight into his eyes. Hoping he would take the hint and leave the subject cause no matter how comfortable I felt around him.

That was not a subject I felt comfortable talking about no matter how strong other people thought me to be. And to move away from the attention, I asked him about his former career in the army.

Once we got to the airport it was all hands on deck. I received my stuff imprinted with the logo of Waking With the wounded.

throwing open my luggage, I put the stuff in my luggage. Next, I had the task of debriefing the crew for the expedition part. and getting debriefed by others such as the organiser and people who were promoting the expedition.

And I had to explain why I was walking around with a Band-Aid on my head, much to the amusement of the others. After that, I met the camera crew that would be following us, them I hadn’t met before. And then it was the moment I had feared the Photocall.

It wasn’t the photocall itself. But I feared it was the results it could have but I guess I could say that from this entire expedition.

After leaving Belgium behind and changing my and my sibling’s last names. We mostly, my sister and me got the feeling of safety.

The chance of being found was a lot smaller. now that we had basically changed our identities and moved away from the lion’s den. But I was scared that the long-sought safety I now felt was in danger of getting into the spotlight with this expedition. The only person who knew here and presents were Conrad hopping around on his crutches.

As we were moving to the room where the pictures and some interview would be taking place. I started getting more and more anxious.

“Hey, what’s got you so nervous? You’re never nervous.” I heard Conrad say beside me as he leant against the wall. I was aware of the fact that my team was all around me and I didn’t want them to hear what I was going to say. “I’m not nervous, I’m scared,” I said fidgeting with my hands.

“Why’s that, you’re not scared of doing this expedition ?” He said in his northern British voice and I didn’t know what it was about that voice. But I always felt like I could tell him anything, much like my grandfather.

“Cause I know that you can do this, and you will do it with pride and honour and passion, just like you always do.” He added, giving me an assuring smile.

“No, it’s not the expedition that scares and worries me.” I knew that if I could confide in anybody right now it was him. I couldn’t talk about it with my family cause that was almost a forbidden subject to talk about.

I could talk about it with my friends. But they weren’t here and although I felt comfortable with Harry. More comfortable than I had ever felt with a guy. I could not talk about it with him, he didn’t even know about it.

“Then what is it about?” he asked in a caring tone. “cause in about ten minutes you will go into that room. That’s full of press and you’re looking like you’ve seen a bloody ghost.” He said his voice full of worry, and then he caught it.

“That’s it, isn’t it,” he concluded, nodding his head. “You’re scared about the press or more the effect the press could have,” he concluded, a look of recognition covering his face.

“Yes it is, I’m just scared that after fighting for so long. After finally finding a place of safety that I have been looking for for so long will be lost. Not only for myself, but also for my family.” I answered getting a lump in my throat.

“I knew this was coming, that’s why I first wanted somebody else to go in my place. But there’s nobody else that I trust more than you with this. And I would go in your place if I could just so that you don’t have to get out of the shadow you created.” He told me, that look on his face that made me think of gramps.

“Yeah, I know that I’m just, I don’t know. This will probably won’t be aired in Belgium. Still, the chance of him finding me does become bigger now doesn’t it.” I questioned, more to myself than Conrad.

“Yeah, it does, but you’re stubborn, older and above all else the strongest person I’ve ever met. If somebody could deal with it, it’s you,” he said, convinced of his statement, at least one was certain in my capabilities.

“Yea, you’re probably right. The chance of him finding me like this are pretty slim.” I answered, nodding my head as I reflected on what he’d just said.

And then the time had come for us to go into the room full of press. So I put on the mask that I had created all those years ago, took a deep breath and entered the room.

Only afterwards I would come to know that Harry had heard the full conversation. And was now more than ever motivated to discover the entire story. And only in the future would I look back at this moment as the moment that the ball started rolling.

After half an hour of pictures being taken and doing 3 interviews with the team. We left the crazy flashing camera room to board the plane. We would be taking a private plane towards Reykjavik first.

there we’d stay for the night, check our gear, before leaving to Kulusuk in Greenland. Followed by a short transfer flight to Ammassalik.

The last preparations for the expedition would be taken care off from there. And on the fifth day, we’ll start our expedition on the ice. After a helicopter brings us to the icecap of Ammasassalik.

we would be on the Ice for 24 days if everything went according to plan. we never knew if we needed to plan an unexpected rest day cause the weather is bad. Or If we don’t reach the daily distance.

With this you needed to be prepared for the worst, we could easily be 4 days longer on the ice. And then you have to take into account that you’re responsible for the safety of the team. because after all, the first 15 days will be spent on a moving glacier. On top of that, we’d be at 2500 meters so attitude sickness could occur. Nobody ever said my job was easy.

“Hey, you still need to get some Band-Aids for that pretty head of yours.” Harry reminded me. “No, I’m good the medical team gave me a box of them after I explained what happened,” I told him with a smile as I led the group to the plane.

“Okay, are they packed?” he asked, looking at my carry bag in my hand. “Yeah, they are. Come on we should hurry our plane leaves in 25 minutes.” I said pointing towards the watch on my wrist.

As we were walking towards the plane Harry said. : “So yesterday on the phone you said that you would explain why your mother wasn’t at your grandparent’s house?” he pointed out, looking at me with an expected look.

“are you sure that I said something like that. You must have misunderstood me,” I answered knowing that I had told him that yesterday. but didn’t really want to explain further.

“I’m pretty sure that I didn’t misunderstand.” he pointed out with a raised eyebrow.

“ Well ,I guess I’ll have to keep that promise and tell you then,” I told him climbing the stairs that led into the plane.
♠ ♠ ♠
So that's the third chapter. I hope you enjoyed it, let me know what you think.