Play with my Heart

One

"Kenz, wait for me!" Jillian called, running after her best friend. "Your legs are too long!"

Mackenzie took no notice, expertly navigating the packed crowd trying to escape Rexall Place following the most recent Edmonton Oil Kings game. Jill caught up with her friend at the back entrance, where the visiting teams would enter and exit the building.

The Vancouver Giants charter bus was parked outside, awaiting the victors of that night's match-up. There were four or five players either carrying their bags to the bus, or waiting outside for their teammates to finish dressing.

"Matt!" Mackenzie pushed open the glass doors and ran toward a tall player with tan skin and curly brown hair. Jill had heard stories about Matt, from when Kenzie was a Vancouverite, but this was the first time she'd ever laid eyes on the man himself.

Jill watched on as the two hugged, allowing them space to converse, until Mackenzie called her over.

"Jillian, if I'm not mistaken?" Matt extended his hand in a formal greeting. "I've heard all about you."

They exchanged formalities, but before the conversation could continue, one of Matt's teammates passed him a phone.

"I can't deal with this right now," the young man shook his head as Matt analyzed the screen intently.

"I don't know man, just ignore them." Matt turned back to the girls, handing the phone back to his teammate, "this is Jake, by the way."

Jake glanced up from his phone and Jill got an immediate chill down her spine. Something about his gaze was both unnerving and intriguing at the same time. His blue eyes gleamed in the light from the visitors entrance, and he smiled to reveal a perfect set of teeth. He was smartly dressed in a grey suit with a lilac shirt, tie, and pocket square, all to match his fair complexion. His hair, though still wet from the shower, was brushed up, and he sported an expensive looking silver watch.

Over the twenty minutes of conversation they were able to get before the bus left for the team hotel, Jill learned that Jake was a year older than herself, finishing graduate year at high school in Vancouver. He'd signed with team at the beginning of the season, and since the very start he'd been Matt's roommate, explaining their close relationship.

When the bus was finally packed and ready to depart, Matt and Mackenzie shared a final hug. With that, the two players boarded the bus, and they were off.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is a short chapter, I promise they won't all be like this. The purpose of this chapter for me is to get the ball rolling, and hopefully we'll be able to start regular updates. Thanks for reading :)