That Day, It Happened

How They Confessed

The two young adults walked down the stairs warily, Evan in front of Abby, thinking that the situation may get bad. They stopped in front of the door and looked at each other, Evan looking far more concerned than her and stopped in front of the door.

“We need to tell him the truth but we have to be calm and our stories have to match.” He whispered, “It will be alright.”

Evan was doing his bet at lying to himself and Abby knew that better than anyone.

When they opened the door, Abby noticed the manager first, visibly fuming because of all tje trouble they have caused. Next to him was a 30 something years old blond man, a bit too stiff for Abby’s liking.

Image

“It’s April 21st, the hour is 15:30 and I am in Room 2, interrogating the suspect regarding the murder case of Andrew Dewy from April 11th.”

The detective started, his voice complementing his firm appearence.

He placed the recorder on the table and looked at his suspect.

“Where have you been on the night of April 11th?”

Abby leaned back in her chair.

Evan frowned.

“I was working over hours for a bonus.” They both answered.

“And what happened that night?”

Abby raised an eyebrow.

Evan started to sweat.

“What I get if I tell you? Are you going to protect me?”

Their response was the same amusing the detective with their so called scheme that they were trying to pull.

“You will get protection if the case requires it. But right now, I want to know what happened on the night of April 11th.”

Abby tilted her head to the side and laid her hands on the table.

“Three men came in around the closing hour.” She started.

“I was ready to leave when they entered.” Evan continued.

“They were in suits and had that dangerous atmosphere around them.” Abby stated, not once looking scared or worried.

“They killed our boss right in front of us.” Evan continued, trying his best to not be intimidated yet failing at a narrow glance.

“Who were they?” The detective asked the culprits.

Evan shrugged innocently but Abby didn’t.

“They were from a big group called The Vipers.” She answered nonchalantly.

The detective was taken aback that she was giving details that clearly the boy didn’t know or didn’t want to speak about.

“How do you know that?” The blond detective persisted.

She sighed and looked straight into his eyes.

“Because they came before. I heard them talking about an illegal transport of tobacco. I didn’t want to get involved.”

The man acknowledged the information and believed her. She wasn’t a liar but something about her was suspicious.

“The boy doesn’t know anything about this?”

“He doesn’t know anything.”

The detective clicked his tongue and stared at her.

“Why do you know?”

Abby chuckled and rubbed her forehead, growing tired with the amount of questions thrown at her.

“Because I’m curious.” She said before leaning back nonchalantly, “I looked them up.”

Image

“Is she lying?” One officer asked the detective after he walked out of the interrogation room.

The blond detective glanced at her through the one side window and shook his head.

“No. But she’s definitely hiding something.” He leaned against the one side window and sighed. “The boy hides something, as well. Let them go for now. We’ll see how this story unfolds.”

At the same time, in both interrogation rooms, an officer entered and nodded to the two culprits. They were allowed to leave.

Abby walked outside and took a deep breath of air before stretching loudly. They were inside for two hours but it felt like a day.

“Oh!”

She turned around and noticed Evan getting out. Abby smiled and waved at him over, looking like nothing happened.

“It’s over.” He started coldly. “I’m going back to Birmingham tonight. It’s been quite an adventure but now that everything is over, I want to go back home. We don’t have to run from mafia as long as the police knows about us.” He ran a hand through his hair and sighed, “We should have told them from the beginning.”

“So that’s where the adventure ends? Will it be alright to go back like that?” Abby asked, seeming quite alright with that idea even if she was pouting like a child.

Evan chuckled and patted her head as if she were a dog.

“I’m relieved that everything’s over. It was fun while it lasted but now we have to go back to our lives. I have a lot to catch up on at work and school.”

“Right.”

He had responsibilities and he wasn’t running away from them. Evan wanted to go back and work because he wasn’t like her; he wasn’t a coward.

They started to walk together towards the closest bus stop, Evan with a content grin on his face and bright demeanor while Abby was sulking. She stopped and stared at his back until he got so far that she couldn’t make up his figure anymore. It stung.

Image

Evan arrived at the hotel a few minutes before she did. While he went upstairs to gather his belongings, she went to the bar and asked Scott for the strongest drink he had.

“Bad day? I heard you got arrested earlier today.” Scott asked, leaning against the barstool.

She drunk the whole glass in one go, surprising even the bartender. Abby made a sign for him to pour another set of three and he complied out of curiosity.

“We got in trouble but it seems everything’s fine now. We can return to our common and boring lives.” She grumbled, drinking all three shots in one gulp before her head dropped on the barstool.

“Now, now. You can stay here and work if you like it.”

She hummed and closed her eyes.

“He wants to go home. He has something to return to.” She was very coherent for someone who drunk half a bottle of whisky.

Scott raised an eyebrow and leaned closer to her face.

“What about you?” He asked curiously.

Abby raised her head so fast that she almost hit him in the chin.

“I’m lonely. I’ve always been lonely. No matter how many people I have around, ready to help me and talk to me, I feel so lonely.”

Scott sighed. She was acting like such an innocent little girl. It was hard to imagine that she was the one who danced so tauntingly for the last few days.

“Then you should go home. Isn’t home supposed to be the place you belong to?”

She chuckled and leaned her head on her right hand.

“I ran away from home a long time ago. Next time my father sees me, he will torture me.” She shuddered just thinking about her father. “He works in the army.”

Scott’s eyes widened. Was that why she was so muscular?

“I know what you’re thinking and no. I have nothing to do with the army.” He raised his hands in surrender.

“I didn’t say anything!” She stared at him for a few seconds before she laughed and patted his hand.

“Thanks for being so considerate with us. If you ever get in trouble, ask for Abigail Lincoln.” She said before she got up and took another sip directly from the bottle.

“Where to ask?” Scott asked confused.

She winked and put the bottle down.

“Wherever.”

Abbh smiled softly and walked upstairs leaving the bartender in a very confusing state.

Image

When Evan entered their hotel room, he didn’t imagine he would feel so nostalgic. He grabbed his bag and realized Abby had absolutely nothing but her cellphone and the clothes she had on her. She didn’t buy anything with the money she earned in the club.

“So this is it.”

He jumped when she walked behind him. Evan glanced at her over his shoulder and nodded.

“Are you ready to-” He stopped and changed the question a bit, “Do you want to go? I can return on my own if you-“

“There’s no reason for me to stay here anymore. Besides, I don’t want to see men inspecting me with their perverted eyes anymore.” She responded.

Evan scoffed.

“Why did you accept then?”

She rubbed her chin and thought what was her reason. It was quite simple actually.

“Because I’m a weird girl, aren’t I?”

Suddenly, Evan felt bad. Maybe it was because she spoke with such an innocent tone or maybe because he told her that often without really knowing anything about her.

“It’s alright. I enjoyed the time you called me weird.” She took a deep breath and linked her arm with his. “Let’s go back to Birmingham.”

Evan was speechless. Something about her was different; she was acting differently, too.

The way back to Birmingham was eventless. They couldn’t use the stolen car anymore so they took the bus. It was silent and Abby was not acting like herself. Evan frowned when he realized how much fun she had when they were runaways compared to now. She was listening to music but wasn’t acting out a scene from a music video like before; she was acting normal, for once.

Evan had been gone for a week and a half and he had to inform his best friend where he has been. At the same time there was another person that he longed to see and tell all the craziness he experienced for the past week. They used to talk about everything and she called him a few times while he was in Portobello Beach but he didn’t respond. It was so complicated and he didn’t want her to worry for him.

The boy already tried twice to type something but every time, it was so lame that it sounded like a lie. It was hard to express into words the last week and a half. It has been a collision of fun and worry and fear and surprise. It was a mix of extreme feelings and it only now dawned on him just how much happened so fast.

He blinked when he felt something drop on his shoulder. He turned his head to the side and saw strands of hair hanging loosely near his face. Abby fell asleep while listening to music. He chuckled when he realized who was there, next to him; she used to jump around and make a fool of herself, she was the person that emotionally blackmailed him into dancing that stupid choreography of hers and she was the same girl who did some amazing pole dances and attracted men like a pro. Abby knew how to handle them, though. She never asked him to protect her or act like her boyfriend but somehow, everyone came to that conclusion. They had to kiss but she didn’t act intimidated and went with it. She was a brave young woman but she was also very weird at times.

While he was contemplating the time he spent with Abby, his phone vibrated. He jumped in surprise and threw her in the process causing her to hit her head on the window and wake up. She narrowed her eyes at him while he repeatedly apologized.

“Asshole.” She responded and leaned her head against the window before she went back to sleep.

Evan blinked in surprise. She didn’t seem to be the same person anymore.

Image

When they entered Birmingham, he woke her up. Abby stretched and hit him in the nose without a single care.

“So, where are you getting off?” It seemed her curiosity came back.

“My apartment is in Moseley.” Evan answered.

She nodded and made a peace sign.

“Mine too. But that’s a given since we worked in the same store.” That made sense. “Do you live alone? Me too. Though, it’s pretty much a dump.” Her eyes brightened and her smile widened. “Maybe we can visit each other and-“

He put a finger on her lips to silence her.

“We’re not going to visit each other. We’re not going to see each other ever again. What happened in the last week, we’re going to forget it all.”

He smiled what looked to be a fake nice smile and went back to his phone.

Abby’s smile dropped and she turned her head to the window. Her reflection showed what she has always been: a disappointment.

Image

Once they got off the bus, she turned to take a last goodbye and maybe a hug from the person she slept with in the same room and in the same bed under certain cirumstances but Evan took a step back, avoiding her.

“Well, it was nice meeting you, Abby.”

It was probably the first time he genuinely sounded relieved. She nodded, having no idea what to say or how to act to the way he bluntly rejected her. Evan smiled and waved at her before turning his back on her and walking away.

“Are you so happy to get rid of me?” Abby mumbled, feeling her heart sting a bit.

In the end, she couldn't exactly go home so she opted for Plan B.

“Oi, bro. Can I spend a few days at your place?” She asked as soon as he responded to his phone.

The other person said something that made her cringe and move the phone away from her ear.

“Yes, I got it. You were worried. Now, can I?” He agreed because she started to smile. “I’ll be there soon! Love you!”

Abby took a last glance at the street Evan walked on before she turned her back and went on the opposite way.