That Day, It Happened

Magic Number Three

Under special circumstances and with a lot of effort, Evan agreed to go with Abby to her house. Her actual apartment was shabby, small and uncomfortable but it did have a decent bathroom and kitchen. Her room, though, was a total disaster.

"What did he say exactly?" She asked.

He stopped inspecting the place and turned to her.

"He kidnapped my brother and wants me to do something for him."

Abby raised an eyebrow and leaned against the door frame.

"What exactly? Give him money? Rob a bank?" She continued the interrogation.

He narrowed his eyes at her and scoffed.

"He said you can help."

Abby seemed genuinely surprised. Actually, she was acting completely different than what he imagined: she wasn’t panicking at all. If anything, it looked like she knew exactly what to do; like she had been through that before.

"With money?" She asked calmly, her face blank considering how angry and scared he was.

"Getting his son out of prison." He responded.

Well, she didn't expect him to have so much information on her and her family, that was clear. Abigail was sure that she hid her familial background well enough but they were having troubles with the mafia.

"How are you going to get him out anyway? You're not working in the police department, right?"

"But my brother does and my father knows the Deputy Chief. He knows I can get his son out for sure." She mumbled.

With wide eyes and no odea what to do next, Evan pulled her close and shook her lightly.

"You have to help me. My brother's life is on the line!"

Her expression was not optimistic. She didn't have any information on that guy and in her field, it all depended on it.

Image

"Where are we going again?" He asked.

Evan was like a shadow. She only walked out to call her brother and he thought she was going to ditch him; he was also very paranoid.

She stopped near a pharmacy and gave him money. From what he could see, they were real unlike the last time.

"What's this for?"He asked before he looked at her in confusion.

"Pills. Go take some. You need them badly." She said before she turned her back to him and called her brother.

The brunette was waiting for Matt to pick up when she noticed someone on the other street. He was watching them with eyes that held no sympathy or any kind of remorse towards his actions. She turned the phone off and glanced at Evan before she pushed him harshly in the pharmacy and put her finger on her lips.

"They're watching us." She whispered. He turned his head towards the window when she hit him and got his attention again. "Don't be so obvious."

"You shouldn't be obvious. You whisper like we're hiding some crazy murder."

She scoffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest. Looking around, she noticed they weren't alone so she quickly came up with an idea. Abby laughed nervously and pulled him close.

"I'm pregnant but our parents don't know yet." She lied with a disgustingly wide smile on her face. The old lady and clerk smiled and congratulated her. "Do you have something to calm my nerves? I'm getting so anxious these days..."

"Is it your first child?" The old lady asked softly. Abby nodded shyly, making the woman chuckle with kindness in her eyes, "You better take one for the man too. They need more preparation than us women." The elder joked.

Abby bought an entire box of sedatives and pushed them in his hands. She thanked the clerk and waved at the elder before pushing a continuously confused Evan out.

"I don't need sedatives. Besides, I have to call my parents and-"

Both his and her phones vibrated. He got a message while her brother finally called her back.

"I got in trouble." She flinched at whatever he said on the other side. "Yes, again. But this one has to do with the mafia." She moved the phone a little from her ear. "Nothing happened to me but Evan's brother was kidnapped. They don't want money. He wants his son out of prison." She nodded a few times at what he was saying on the other line. "Ok. I'll wait for you to call me back."

She hung up and turned to Evan who was furiously writing texts. Abby leaned over his shoulder and took a peek at the message.

"I'm sorry but something came up and we can't meet tonight. It's nothing too serious, don't worry. See you tomorrow." She read it out loud. "It's actually very serious. We might not get his son out if he did something extremely bad. In that case, we'd have to rescue him."

"That's impossible. I don't even know how to shoot a gun."

She smirked and winked.

"I do."

Of course. She was a suspiciously dangerous weirdo.

Image

"Why are we sleeping here?"

They ended up in her apartment, barely able to breathe in her small bed.

"Because this is where I live." She mumbled groggily.

"Let me rephrase that. Why am I still here?"

Abby sighed and rolled on her side so she could face him. That proved to bring them in a close and very uncomfortable position.

"Because it's too dangerous to be alone right now." Her response wasn't very reassuring.

He tried to get comfortable but he couldn't. When Abby rolledon her other side, she unconsciously kicked Evan off the bed.

"That's it. Let's go to my place."

Surprisingly, his apartment was very clean and organized. It was definitely more spacious and even had a clean bathroom. It was nice overall but it looked like momome was actually living there; the kitchen looked untouched and he didn't leave almost anything personal in the sight.

"You don't spend too much time here, do you?" She asked as she ventured around.

"I'm busy." He answered coldly. Evan could still not believe that he willingly brought her to his apartment.

"I'm sure you are. You got accustomed really fast to that love hotel."

His head snapped to her immediately and noticed her bemused expression. She was teasing him with no remorse.

"You got quite perplexed when you heard that porn movie in our room. Must have been some time since you last got laid, right?"

He knew he shouldn't get fazed by anything coming out her mouth but he couldn't help but blush.

"That doesn't-"

"Concern me. Got it." She eyed a picture in the corner and walked there, looking at it closely before taking it off, "Is this your girlfriend?"

"What?" He asked but once he saw her tight grasp on the picture, he felt his palms sweat in annoyance. "Put it back."

"She's a little plain but that can change if she uses a little make-up. Also, don't let her wear this ugly yellow sweater anymore. It makes her look chubby and I'm pretty sure she isn't."

He closed his eyes and tried to block her voice but she was loud.

"Was she your first?" He felt his eyebrow twitch. "Or maybe you were hers?"

That did it. He turned to her and ran after her. Instead of giving up easily she ran away.

"Give me the photo." He urged her but Abby shook her head.

"You didn't answer my questions."

She was being very witty for how much trouble they were in. Evan jumped after her but she moved away. He tried to catch her but the couch was in between. He tried to take the other side but she wasn't stupid.

"This is the only way I can make you talk about your life. Now spill it."

"She's just a friend. And I gave her that sweater." Evan answered, growing more and more annoyed with her childish antics.

She chuckled and leaned against the kitchen stool. For how serious she was just a few hours ago, she definitely switched personalities fast.

"You have feelings for her. That's why you don’t tell her everything. You were so scared of what she might think you did in Portobello." Her statement was on point.

He glared at her and hopped over the couch. The boy barely touched her when she ran and hid in the place he just left from.

"Then let me ask you something too. Why didn't you ask your brother to help us when we got in trouble in the first place?"

That touched a sensitive spot and she was very obvious about her weakness. Evan watched how she tried to mask her disappointment with her usual witty comments but he already saw it.

"I told you before, haven't I? I told you there is something you might want to know about me. But you didn't listen and just brushed it off."

He frowned, not able to remember that particular scene.

"I don't remember. Now give me the photo."

Abby held the photo tighter and waited for him to do the first move. Evan crawled towards her warily, getting closer than before. She jumped out of his arms but lost her balance when he jumped over her resulting in both of them falling over the couch.

"Ow!"

She fell on her back and he landed over her; the image overall looked interesting. Evan rubbed his head while standing on her tummy, not realizing yet what position they were in.

"Don't you think you got too comfortable?" She sounded more amused than anything.

He blinked twice, tilting his head to the side with the cutest puppy eyes she had ever seen. Once he realized she was under him and he was literally standing on her, he quickly moved away.

"Sorry." The boy mumbled, a faint pink color creeping up his cheeks. "Maybe coming here was not a good idea." He murmured.

As if they weren't in enough trouble already, three loud knocks interrupted the moment. Abby's eyes widened before she pulled him down.

"Three is the magic number." She whispered.

"For what?"

"For trouble." She responded right before the door slamed open and three men broke in.

Being experienced enough even if it didn't look so, Abby covered his mouth and pulled him closer.

One guy walked in the kitchen while another was getting closer to them. Evan could hear his heart beats growing faster but not hers. When he looked at her face, he saw a poker face that he never thought she could master so well.

With quick movements, she kicked the loser thug in the leg and snatched the gun out of his hand before pointing it at him.

"Don't shoot or I'm going to kill your friend!" Abby threatened.

The man guarding the door chuckled.

"Do you really think we care?"

She tilted her head to the side and blinked.

"Right."

She shot the man from the door straight in the middle of his forehead.

"I was the best at shooting in my class." She stated with a sheepish grin.

The guy in the kitchen ran towards them and shot but she used his injured friend as a guard. With two dead, there was only one left.

When Evan saw.a pair of legs coming closer, he copied Abby's actions the best he could. He kicked really hard and broke that guy's leg; he definitely heard something cracking. The gang member was ready to shoot Evan when Abby interfered and punched him in the chin before kicking him in the middle of his chest.

Evan grabbed her hand and they ran out of the apartment. She stopped him when they heard men talking down the hall and ran back, locking themselves in his bedroom.

"We're dead!" He screamed in fear.

"It wasn't a good idea to come here. I can't believe I didn't think about it." Abby mumbled to herself, a bit annoyed with how rusty she got in a few weeks.

Evan raised an eyebrow, still not grasping how she could be so calm during such an emergency. He pulled her closer to him and shook her a little, hoping she'd finally give him some answers.

"There are more men coming! They will break this door and shoot us! We're going to die!" He was panicking which was doing nothing but clouding his mind.

"We have to save your brother. We can't die yet." Abby tried to reassure him but Evan was a grown up man even if he didn't seem like one.

He was already sweating and thinking about the worst case scenario.

"We can't escape." He started. "This is the 5th level. We can't get out."

Meanwhile, Abby was searching for a way out. Evan had very few things in his room and none could help them against the group outside however, something did grab her attention about the windows.

"Are you good at balancing your weight?" She randomly asked.

"What?"

When the other men entered Evan's apartment, they found two dead bodies and one hurt. They searched the other rooms too but found one bedroom locked. They broke the door but didn't see anyone in there.

"Hey, this window is open!" One man shouted, leaning over and looking out; he couldn't see anything.

"Do you think they escaped on the window?" Another man asked.

"No. They're just two kids."

"But isn't she the daughter of General Lincoln? That douche bag worked for the NCIS and now he returned to clean England. He's dangerous."

The voices started to fade as the men walked further away. Two levels below, Abby and Evan were trying to keep their balance on the window sill of his neighbor's window.

Evan had a lot of questions for her.