Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 10 - The Innocent and the Sweet

Hangover cured, I drank a whole load of water and watched Doctor Cameron as he ate the remainders off of my plate. The man certainly didn't care what he was putting into his mouth, unless for sure it would kill him.

He'd paid for the food and didn't comment on my choices. I liked onion and cheese dough balls from the breakfast bar around the corner, he didn't complain about his own order either. A six inch hoagie with meatballs and jalapenos.

So perhaps his wife did feed him. He was just a greedy bastard.

I'd chowed down on at least four of my dough balls and passed the rest to him. He took it with glee, it was cute.

"So, when I officially become your patient... am I going to be seeing a lot more of you? Or is Doctor Prince going to be in charge?" I took a sip of my water, curling myself into the corner of my seat. My feet stopped just shy of his knee.

When I stripped off earlier, I was still somewhat drunk but I knew what I was doing. I let him cater to menus and I undressed, giving him a show of what he was missing. This perfect body, the longs legs that could be wrapped around him, the ass that he could be spanking... I wanted him to know I wanted him. I'd already made the drunken mistake of kissing him, so there was no doubt he knew I was after him.

I rationalized with myself. What consequences would there be for me if I seduced him? Sure, he was married and it was unholy and all -- but what was the punishment for me? I was already within death's embrace, nothing was ever going to top that.

So, since I was dying and we were unsure of how long I was going to have left, I came to another decision all by myself.

I'd do all the things I'd always said I'd never dare. Get high, maybe make out with another girl (preferably Madison, obviously), skydive from thirty thousand feet in the air, perhaps even...

Make a man an adulterer.

I'd known Dr Cameron for more than a week now and all instincts to open my legs around him hadn't vanished. I knew he was married, I knew that photo on his desk was of his wife... yet the idea of it made me want him even more.

It was a wild chance. Maybe I wouldn't have sex with him, but it would be nice to get a kiss that wasn't from intoxication. I'd never been attracted to someone like this before, and I knew it was a disgusting thing to want to achieve, but I couldn't help myself. Every time I saw him all I thought about was his lips on mine, saliva mingling as our tongues caressed each other, his cock alive and ready for me.

My heart picked up pace. I watched him again, as he flicked through the channels on my T.V., ignoring my previous question.

"Do you want to play a game?" I coughed out.

Grinning with a mouthful of food, he laid back, resting one arm behind the neck of the couch and bringing his leg up over his knee. My bare toes now touched the soft fabric of his shoes.

"What kind of game?"

"I was thinking along the lines of..." Don't say truth or dare, that was for children and just asking to get what was coming to you. Then I thought of the perfect one. "Two truths and a lie? Get it wrong and you drink."

His eyebrows sported up, like he was surprised I knew of such things.

"Alright then. You go first." He said, probably so he could think up of his own while I ranted on. That's how it worked normally.

"My mother stole all savings from my college fund when I was sixteen. So, I never went and that's why we don't speak anymore. Or, my namesake is He-Man's sister, but since my mother never watched the show, spelled it incorrectly." I watched him closely, as he prevented from bursting. Satisfied, I presented him with my last one. "I went swimming with the dolphins when I was six and that's when I discovered I wanted to be a marine biologist."

He chuckled quietly, rubbing his hand across his stubbly jaw. He looked to the ceiling, then to me, and back again.

Someone was definitely trying to get a read on me. Good thing I was an expert faker.

"Since it's the most stupid of them all... your namesake is a lie."

I watched him for a second, then leaned forward, clasped my hand under his beer bottle and brought it to his open mouth.

He just gaped at me, refusing to pay attention to the rules.

"I can't swim." I informed, playing with my inside ankle bones.

"So, what did you want to be, if not a marine biologist?"

I shrugged. I'd just left a door wide open for him with my first truth, why wasn't he commenting?

Instead, I was given a show when his expression turned into one of amusement.

"So, your father is a fan of He-Man?" He quipped, finally taking a swig.

"No, my brother suggested it. They had no idea what he was on about but agreed it was a beautiful name together. My mother handled the birth certificate." It was a funny story, one my brother loved to tell. My parents never found out from my brother where he got the name, but instead by their neighbor who called them imbeciles and introduced them to the cartoon. Needless to say, they weren't too happy with Ciaran about it.

Doctor Cameron laughed again, peeling the label off his beer and sucking his fingers clean of flour from the dough balls.

I needed to cover it with my mouth, swirl against it with my tongue, leave the flour lying on the top of my teeth.

I nudged him with my foot, purposely grazing from the front of his knee to the bend. As I predicted, a tremor shook through his body.

"Okay. First, I graduated seventh in my class. Second, I had no interest in dating until I was in my twenties. And last of all, this is non-alcoholic, since I don't actually drink." He held up his label-free bottle and saluted me with it before taking a small sip.

I looked at the other one sitting on the coffee table, it also had no label. If I didn't know any better, I would've assumed he staged the whole thing.

I came back to him, as he relaxed back and watched me intently, knowing I was trying really hard to figure him out.

He was a genius, so I couldn't believe he graduated in that position. Sure, other people may be smarter than him, but not in the same university. His mind was sharper than anyone I'd ever known, what else was I supposed to think?

As for his dating...

I knew nothing about his wife other than that she existed. He could've dated a mop before her and it would still count.

"You must have been in the top five for graduating..." I soon began to trail off, since the shake of his head was a giveaway. "Really? But everyone at the hospital says you're the best."

"Yes, I agree. My grades weren't top notch though, so I only got in the top ten."

I slugged my water, liking that I'd learned so much about this man in so little time. It was nice. It was different.

"So, when did you meet your wife then?" I was done with the game. I finally had some information on their relationship and I wanted to know all about it. Where they went on their first date, if she was just another girl to him in the beginning, if they had children (God, I hope not).

I craved it all.

His eyes found the television again, as it played another Clarke Gable flick, and I watched as the black and white storytellings flashed across his eyes.

"I was twenty-four, a year away from graduating, and she was a receptionist at the building. There didn't seem to be much going on between us, but my friends dared me to ask her out, so I did and she said yes. I didn't know how to act on dates, so I took her to a pond nearby and made it a picnic."

So, he used to be an awkward guy? Or did he just act that way in front of her? Did she get to see what the rest of the world didn't?

"That sounds nice." I said simply. I didn't want to comment any further than that. He took her out as a means to impress her. He didn't want to do that for me, the lowly cancer-stricken girl who looked to challenge his oath to her.

I was garbage.

And he'd be correct in thinking or saying so.

"What about you? I know you're not married, but your hospital records cite your emergency contact as a Ben Bailey. Is that your boyfriend?"

I swallowed.

"It was."

"Bad break-up?" His voice wasn't sympathetic, more factual, like he knew the images that were rolling over in my head.

I really needed to update my records. The last thing anyone wanted was Ben Bailey and I in the same room together.

"The worst. I haven't had a relationship since." I finished off my water, not bothering to pick it up when it fell to the floor. The mention of his name was enough to drain the energy from me completely.

Dr Cameron cleared his throat, in a gruff sort of way. You know, the kind that meant I could tell him anything? Yeah, that was it.

I only hoped he liked mystery, because that's what I was giving him when it came to Ben Bailey.

"You'll find someone... if you live long enough."

My mouth went to fall open on its own, when he began snickering. Feigning full shock and anger, I attacked him with my feet. I got him a few times on the thigh and arm, perhaps once on that muscled stomach, but I had no way of asking.

The rest of the day continued like that, insulting each other and passing flirtations, until he had to return home to his wife. He took what was left of the food, slid his coat back on and attempted to leave without a goodbye.

I stood by my door, keeping a lookout for Dave, just in case, as I thanked him for breakfast. It was nearly noon now.

He smiled kindly back at me.

"I'm supposed to take care of you. Although, if you truly want to thank me, a visit to my office regarding your next steps would be great." He joked, he knew now not to tempt my patience when it came to this.

"I can definitely visit your office, you greedy man." I pointed towards the remaining dough balls and gave him a look that meant I knew he was going to scoff them on the trip home.

He jiggled the box.

"Nah, think I might just give them to Charlie. Take care now, Shira." He placed a calloused thumb to my cheek and whisked away, down the few hall steps and into the outside world. Back to his car, on route to the house he shared with his wife, where he'd kiss her and possibly take her to their bed later.

Charlie? Was that his wife's name?

Unable to linger on it any longer, my anger swelled up inside of my chest. I slammed the door behind me as I went back inside to scream at nobody.