Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 12 - Changing the Game

I didn't see Dr Cameron again until Tuesday. I'd received a call from him asking if I'd spoken with my family yet. He was disgruntled to learn that no, I had not.

I didn't know why I kept holding it off, but I knew I couldn't delay it any longer. It had to be this week, as radiation and chemotherapy could only wait for so long before the treatment wouldn't work anymore.

So I suggested he come with me to my father's house, that way he could ensure I wouldn't back out. He seemed startled, as given by the short silence on the phone, but eventually agreed, saying he could help them understand if they had trouble doing so.

Which they would. I mean, nobody in my family had been diagnosed with cancer before. It's almost like we thought we were impervious to it.

I arrived at my Dad's house just after one, and greeted him with a hug that lasted longer than necessary. I had to fight back the tears that stung the back of my eyes as I did, moving onto the next person and repeating the process.

Dr Cameron arrived shortly after, dressed to impress. He wore a dress up shirt, the color purple (aside from blue, it was my favorite), dark pants and comfortable black shoes. Once again, his hair was tied back, revealing his zombie-like eyes.

"Dad, I brought someone today. Hope you don't mind." I knew he wouldn't, but I felt like saying so just in case.

My father just squeezed my shoulder and we faced him together.

"Hello, Mr Walker, it's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Ash Cameron and I'm a friend of Shira's." He spoke huskily, quietly, so he wouldn't garner too much attention from everybody else. Luckily for us, they retreated to the back garden.

I always did like the name Ash, I thought as I watched my father walk away to join them.

I turned back to him, my hair getting caught in my eyes. However, I think I caught him trying to sneak a peek.

I was dressed nicely today, in a soft pastel pink sweater and a nice puffy white skirt. They were comfy and I didn't wear them paired together enough. I always did try and dress decent when visiting family.

"You weren't supposed to introduce yourself as my friend. Now my father is going to think the worst of it!" I raved.

His brow shot up and slowly started to join together.

"And what would the worst be, might I ask?"

He'll assume we're dating. I introduced Ben as a friend and we were together eight years. I didn't want my dad to grill him about his intentions.

He had no clue.

Scowling at me, Doctor Cameron took off, meeting with the rest of the family in the garden. I could hear the polite greetings from here.

I took a deep breath, coughed as many times possible, and followed.

I was playing peek-a-boo with baby Theo when he sat down beside me, about an hour after we arrived. I had the little one on my lap, smiling a toothless smile and I immediately latched onto him as soon as my doctor appeared.

"I think now is the best time." He whispered, not registering the child for a second.

Wow, he must really hate kids.

I watched my family as they laughed and ate together. My brother and his girlfriend reacting loudly to something my father said. I bet it was funny too, he always had the most interesting stories.

I smiled a little as I stared at them. I'd had it good with them, and baby Theo was the beginning of a whole new chapter... Especially if it was a book I was uncertain to close.

"They look so happy." I pointed out.

Doctor Cameron's hand found mine. I gasped as I met his eyes. They were soft and understanding. Kind, almost.

"They'll be happier when you start your treatment with me."

That was true.

So I nodded, gathering the baby in my arms and heading towards them, although I suddenly wanted his hand to touch me again. For support, in his case.

I gave the infant over and stood by my doctor. They were all sitting down, which was good, it meant I didn't have to ask them.

Blood boiled in my veins and my hands became clammy. I didn't know how to do this, or what to say.

"Before Shira tells you her news, I have my own. I've come to know this woman within the past week and I've never met someone so stubborn." Everybody laughed, my dad muttering that it couldn't be denied, but he was unfazed.

"She is gentle, caring and all-round an amazing woman. You've raised her well, Mr Walker. So, regarding what she has to tell you, I will do my best to ensure she remains the daughter and sister you love."

Suddenly, the fear was there, all traces of laughter gone. My family stared me down, anxious for me to speak.

"Snuggle monster... What is it?"

Doctor Cameron nodded to me, signaling I best do it now before they die of unease.

So I did. I told them everything.
***

When I returned home I felt like utter crap. My insides were curdling and I wanted to hurl up every piece of food I managed to eat.

Dr Cameron had come with me, dropping me off then promised to make me a coffee to brighten my mood. He explained that the situation had finally been addressed and now we could get the treatment underway, since I no longer had anything holding me back.

I'd stayed silent.

We reached my door when he stopped me. His face was a wonder of emotions. I couldn't guess any of them.

Although I didn't doubt mine was set for everybody to see.

My father had taken the news pretty hard. He'd cried a little, hugged me, then cried some more in the privacy of his bathroom (I'd held my ear to the door). My brother and Alison questioned me further, asking how serious it was and when Doctor Cameron was going to start prepping me for all my appointments.

Overall, the day had started out fairly well, but ended up being one of the worst of my life thus far.
I didn't have high hopes on it picking up either.

We got into my studio and headed for the kitchen. I leaned against the island, rubbing the back of my neck as he fixed up that promised cup of coffee.

"I'd like to start tomorrow, if that's alright with you. You can bring a family member now that they're fully aware." His tone was nonchalant; devoid.

The kettle began to boil. I just nodded as I stared at the floor.

"Miss Walker..."

I looked up, to find out he was close enough to touch. Hopefully not close enough to see what I was thinking of though, as they all of a sudden changed and started wheezing over hard abs and what was under those pants.

"My father was so happy, too. Just a little over a week ago he'd gotten himself a grandchild. He was so over the moon, it was the happiest I'd seen him since I was little." I couldn't cry, not again. I'd already humiliated myself in front of him a number of times.

"To tell him he may not get one from my side today was heartbreaking. He changed from this strong, cheerful man into this broken shell. And I couldn't..." I broke off, clasping my hand over my mouth to try and stop myself.

Doctor Cameron held me at arm's length, capturing my eyes within his own that blazed fire.

"You did what you had to do. Now, you can start thinking about yourself and that future. It's not lost, Shira."

All I've ever done was think about myself. It's how I lost my high school friends, how I was never able to keep a job, how I ended up so alone and angry... I deserved this.

Ben was right.

The kettle had stopped boiling, but neither of us were really thinking about a hot drink at that point.

"You will win this."

I shuddered as his hand snaked across my cheek, his thumb smoothing under my eyes and over my cheekbones. He didn't know what he was doing -- he couldn't have!

I didn't stop him either, as his head descended further, his eyes penetrating into my very soul. He was so near, so breathtaking.

"You are an amazon."

I didn't try to stop myself. I covered those set amount of inches between us and kissed him. I pressed my body close, tired of trying to stay away from him all the time. It wasn't fair I had to fight this hard.

I anticipated him pushing me away, blowing out on me because of my indecent actions...

I did not predict his hand grabbing a fistful of my hair and wrenching me in hard, as our mouths opened and our tongues fought a battle for domination.