Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 14 - Dying to Get Out

I didn't sleep that night, which I believed nobody could blame me for, considering I was already a dying woman and I'd had one hell of an unfortunate day.

So, when it hit six a.m. I clambered out of bed and got my face ready. It didn't take long and I couldn't be bothered changing it if it turned out I looked like a mess (which, not to sound big-headed or anything, I never really did. Even on bad days I was normally gorgeous).

I retrieved the rest of the mail from the complex, dumped them in the trash after they were read, and texted Madison back and forth before she headed off to work. If only I could keep myself occupied with a job, too. Unfortunately, I'd never been lucky in that department, as I also already had someone else paying for all my bills anyway.

I gritted my teeth as I clicked on the home button of my phone. It was just after seven now.

And here I was, all alone because I couldn't keep my legs shut to anyone. Also, too afraid to move in case I received another letter exclaiming they knew everything, that it wouldn't be too long before everyone else did as well.

My life was screwed up, being ill didn't help that. It's almost like I couldn't catch a break.

The mail-receiving hadn't been going on for a long time, mind you, it only started about a year or so back. I was promised they'd get paid for me, if I kept to my word and didn't tell anyone about it, either. I mean, it's not like I would, so I took the offer and it's been in place since.

But there was never supposed to be a detailed note, telling me the bill and calling me pet names. I couldn't get in touch, I had no way how. There was never a return address on the envelope, which could only mean one thing...

They'd sent it manually.

They would've had to stroll in the front doors and pop it through my mailbox. They'd been here, probably spied on me while they were within the neighborhood, then went back to their perfect stupid lives.

They knew I knew that. So, that power was therefore held over me. As far as we both knew: they were invincible.

Holding back the tears this time, I shook my head free of such evil thoughts and sighed.

I guessed it was best I get myself ready for the rest of the day. I could lounge in my pajamas, but it meant I couldn't answer the door if it ever went (I'd never been able to talk to people at or through it since I was a girl. It just seemed inappropriate).

In the end, I decided upon a baby blue jumpsuit and classic white pumps. Apart from the shoes, it wasn't really going-out wear, but it also didn't objectify the possibility of doing so.

I strolled towards the kitchen, where I stared at the space between the kettle and island.

A lot had gone down last night, more than Doctor Cameron may like to recall, but the truth of the matter was: I was under his skin. I had him right where I wanted him, it was just a question of whether or not I decided to leave it be for now and let him stew for a couple of days... Or take what he'd offered to me before he ripped it away.

Safe to say, I'd had enough alone time to sustain all dying women in the world, and I decided no stupid note from some sick fucker was going to keep me holed up all day. I was my own person, I was entitled to leave my apartment if I wished to.

So, I guzzled some water, checked my hair on the way out and locked up.

The breeze was nice, but my bare legs didn't appreciate that much. Goose pimples rose up on my skin and I began to walk, knowing movement allowed the body temperature to heat up a little.

I'd made it about three blocks before a certain shop caught my eye. Its displays were encouraging, so my curiosity got the best of me and I took a peek inside.

I bought the first thing that interested me, knowing that if I was having a hard time keeping myself together upon seeing it -- then I was dead set on someone else losing their mind.