Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 22 - When She was Mine

I sat at the table just outside the cafe, sipping absently on my mocha latte. On one end, it looked like I was listening to Madison and Danielle talking, yet on the other I was stark raving mad.

My best friend had lied to me. She didn't say she was bringing last night's hook-up. She purposely left it out so we'd meet and get to know each other.

Little did she know, I had zero intentions of familiarizing myself with this girl.

Because that's all she was. A girl. Soon enough, Madison would tire of her and she would be back to being the player I knew her as. No female could tie my best friend down, many had already tried and failed. This would be just like the rest of them.

I was just waiting for the moment where she'd ask me to go to the restroom with her and she'd freak out, as we would then make up an elaborate plan to ditch her.

For now, she was laughing. I was not.

"Shira used to play, didn't you?"

I forced myself back into reality, setting my drink back down as I avoided Madison's stare. She'd known I was zoning out.

"Hmmm?"

"You used to play bass? That's cool, I haven't met any other girl who could use her fingers so well." Danielle's eyes slowly met with my best friend's, who suckled nervously on her drink. "Well, except for one."

That began another whole round of giggling. I rolled my eyes. This was getting very tiresome and I just wanted out.

But, I had to hand it to my friend's conquest, she was persistent.

"My band and I are actually looking for a bass player at the moment, since our last member, Tony, had to go back home to France." She leaned forward in her seat, eyes of a calm storm watching me steadily. "Why don't you join? Of course, you'd have to audition first -- but it would be one hell of a way to get to know you better."

She was a sweet girl, really, I knew that much. It's just a shame I felt like smacking her face into the table the more she tried to cross over it to get to me.

Which would be even more unfortunate for her, since it couldn't be disputed that she was pretty. Tanned skin, black hair and a body every athlete would be jealous over, it was no surprise Madison was attracted to her. If I was gay, I'd want a piece too.

However, as it stood, I did not. The only thing I wanted right now was to get out of here.

"Sorry, not interested." I replied quickly, receiving a harsh glare from my best friend. I just shrugged in response.

She sighed and got up out of her seat, lifting her empty cup and claiming she needed a refill. Once she was behind Danielle, she signaled for me to come with her, not that I put up much of a fight. I was up within seconds, excusing myself and saying we'd be back soon. Danielle smiled kindly at me.

We'd only just closed the doors behind us when Madison near enough erupted.

"What the actual hell, Shira!? She's trying to make conversation with you and you're just... ugh." She bit roughly into her bottom lip as we moved up on the line. There were still roughly four people in front of us.

I drained what was left of my foamy beverage.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I didn't know she was twelve!" I hissed. She gasped, but didn't say anything. "Everything is just so funny, or so cute. Where did you pick her up from, Chucky E Cheese?"

She scoffed.

"Enough of that, she's twenty-one. I'm hardly cradle snatching."

We were moving up the line again, but people had started entering the cafe too, and stood behind us, listening into the conversation whenever possible.

So, I got closer to her, so much so that my mouth was by her neck.

"Yeah, I can see that she's twenty-one. What's with all the sex jokes anyway? It's like middle school all over again."

"Shut up. I like her, okay? Why is it so hard for you to understand? Or accept? Or anything at all, really?"

"Because this isn't like you." I practically screeched. The people behind us had gotten closer, the man's eyes shining with excitement as he heard all about my best friend's lesbian ways.

So gross, I thought. Some people just didn't have any self-respect. Or for others.

However, just as she'd reached the coffee machine, Madison had turned back on me, dark eyes protruding into my very soul. I didn't like her mad, I didn't think anyone relished in the thought of making her so. A vein popped out from her forehead, she shook with quake and, as always... she was unpredictable.

She punched the correct button for her drink and faced me squarely.

"Like you would fucking know! I hadn't seen you in God knows how long because you cut me out. I tried to contact you, but no, it seems I wasn't good enough so I was left on my own, without a friend when I needed her. I decided it was best I give you space, so I did!"

I looked around us, the whole of the coffee shop was in silence, witnessing our display. Old men and women frowned at us, probably claiming we were messing up a wonderful day, whereas others were just prying.

Even the staff had stopped working, ready to butt in if it got any worse.

"Madison..."

"You know nothing about me anymore, Shira. You dealt your hand and you blew it. After all I did for you. Ben, your cancer, Ash... You have been selfish with me and I'm over it. You haven't seen that I don't want to go around and fuck girls. I want that girl." She pointed towards the door, swaying on her feet.

"Honestly. Fuck you. I have done everything for you and all I ever asked in return was an hour for you to get to know her, but you couldn't even do that. You know what? I don't care if you die -- I'm done. I'm completely, one hundred percent, done."

Madison, in all her rage, forgot to put a lid on her coffee and stormed out of the place. I didn't take my eyes off her as she met with Danielle outside and hoisted her up off her seat. The girl didn't fight much, she moved slowly and followed her as they left me behind.

Just before they were out of sight though, Danielle sent me a soft smile.

Pretending like eyes weren't on me still, I moved forward and got my last free refill. However, I didn't bother filling it anymore than halfway, as my tears alone would be able to help it overflow.