Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 28 - Stranger Things

Ash stayed the night, as planned. He left to go into the complex every few hours when his phone began to vibrate, but other than that we had the night to ourselves.

We mostly stayed out of each other's way, as well. I let him do some paperwork, as I read another chapter of my current book. Every now and then I'd glance up from the page, studying how he leaned forward and chewed the pen between his teeth when he was in full concentration mode.

I always went back to my novel thinking it was cute.

The fajitas weren't staying down all too well though. In a fight not to look rude in front of him, I swallowed the bile down as feverishly as I could when it came. He'd look at me, smile softly and return to his work, meanwhile I gagged on chewed down pieces of vegetables and chicken bits. It was vile.

I hadn't needed to do it in a while, which was a good sign. It meant once he was finished we could talk normally without me calling one-oh-one and dashing for the toilet.

As his had done earlier, my mobile began to buzz. Hopeful, I checked the caller I.D. and was only slightly disappointed when I saw it was August.

I answered, trying to pretend that Ash wasn't even trying to listen in -- because of course he was.

"Hey, what's up?" I closed my book over.

"My beautiful lady, I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping tomorrow. I'm well aware you love your clothes and I noticed yours are going out of season. So, do you wish to accompany me?" My God, his voice was like syrup. No wonder I wasn't able to resist.

But I had my doctor next to me, who was trying with all his might to make me think he didn't have prying ears... I didn't need August to fill me up.

"Actually, I'm busy tomorrow. Rain check?"

"Absolutely. Have a wonderful night."

A somewhat short conversation, it still left me with goose pimples. Maybe it was his voice, or that he kept to his promises. Either way, I was going to get some brand new clothes soon and I didn't feel like objecting.

I laid the phone down, about to pick up my book again when Ash sat back on the futon, eyes patrolling all over me.

"Who was that?"

My eyebrows furrowed. Did I ask him who'd been calling him all day? Um, no. Although it wouldn't take a genius to figure it out.

"A friend." I averted his gaze, knowing I'd crumble beneath it. "The one that took me out to dinner that night."

"Oh."

I went back to my book, not thinking about anything else. But he'd stopped writing, or marking, or what it was he was doing. He was just lying back, relaxing, his mind looking like it was going one hundred miles a minute.

Discarding it, I headed for the bathroom, the only place I could actually shut myself inside. It was dark in here and I couldn't be bothered reaching for the light.

I couldn't let this ruin the mood. We'd been doing so well, there had been no reason to get snappy until now. I hadn't grilled him when he took phone calls, so why should he do it to me? In my apartment.

I burped, as the fiery bomb in my stomach wanted to explode. In a hurried panic, I lifted the toilet seat up and closed my eyes as I emptied out my dinner. It kept on tumbling out, like the way it did in the movies. Projectile. Gross.

Once that was over with, I hobbled sideways in direction of the sink. I felt light-headed, and still very sick. What was going on here?

So, I threw back some paracetamol and afterwards used a little mouthwash. If I went back and my mouth stank of vomit, no doubt he'd carry me to the hospital.

So, finally enough I exited the room, mind a pure whirlwind when his voice broke through the reverie.

"What happened to being a one-man girl?"

Blinking rapidly, my vision began to focus. Instead of everything looking orange and black, the color textures faded in warmth and became what they truly were. Cold. It had been cold colors all night. Now even more so, when I caught onto what he was talking about.

Ash had moved from his side of the sofa and now stood in front of mine, a shiny piece of white plastic between his hands. It emitted a glow that was familiar to me.

My mouth fell open.

"You went through my cell!" I was enraged. Who the hell did he was?!

"You didn't answer me. I asked you, what happened to being a one-man girl? Who's August? He's 'full of sugar'... What does that mean, Shira?" Now we were both pumped up. Him for stupid reasons, of course. Me, on the other hand. Well, if there's one thing I don't tolerate then it's the invasion of privacy.

I stormed towards him and grabbed the device out of his hands. I couldn't believe this, I was gone for a minute and he decided to be a snoop?

"He's a friend!"

"Of another type, you mean? Because from what I read, you definitely aren't besties." His eyes narrowed, as he sighed melodramatically. "I'm a fucking idiot."

"You're right, you are." I spat. His eyes met mine and I took a brave step forward. I was so angry with him I didn't know what I'd do, but I was reassured he had no bad intentions at least.

"I met him the night you diagnosed me. He was nice and sweet and catered to my every need. So yes, I fucked him." I stood my ground as he groaned, about to back off when I brought him back. "But only that night. He came round here about a week ago, somehow fully aware of my disease and we talked about it. We don't want to have sex anymore, not with each other, he just wants to be there."

But the flaring of his nostrils did not cease. Either he didn't believe me or didn't want to. Is that what I was to him then?

"Well, maybe you should continue to talk to him about it. God knows you won't do it with me, your actual doctor." He put emphasis on the correct word.

I rolled my eyes. "Why are you so jealous?"

"Because I like you!"

There was an intake of breath. It was mine.

I didn't get the chance to say anything, or do much either, because as soon as my brain processed the words he was already upon me. His lips smothered my own, frantic and wanting, as if searching for something lost. Unresponsive to all the shock he'd just jolted within me, I returned the kiss.

His hands encompassed my ass briefly, before I bounced up and wrapped my legs around his waist. He didn't stagger, as he held me in, instead he shuffled on his feet until my spine hit the back of the couch.

Unlocking our mouths, he trailed it all the way down over my covered torso and stomach. I unwound my legs from him as I fell back, hair falling down onto the cushions and my head registered everything upside down. The blood rushed straight to my brain, squeezing it as my breathing picked up pace, trying to regain itself.

But he'd already thrown my underwear off and had situated his head between my red-hot thighs, tongue and teeth teasing my core.

It wasn't long before ecstasy became me.