Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 35 - The Sun has Died on Me

It had been a couple of days or so since I'd seen Ash. He'd given me his pager number, in case of emergencies, but I hadn't used it so far.

I'd had infuriating and searing cramps following the ingestion of the second pill, but he said that was to be expected and stayed with me through most of it. I couldn't fathom why, especially since it was his child I'd murdered.

In all of my screaming agony, Dave had come to the door a few times, begging to take me to the hospital. I locked it in response.

For one, I couldn't deal with him right now. Another, that would mean taking Ash away from what was important. I felt like I'd done that too much already.

But that was a few days ago, and today all pain had subsided. I decided I didn't want to stay in. I was going to pay my father a visit.

After caking myself in make-up so I'd look semi-decent, I got dressed in a pastel green skater dress and block heeled boots. I'd just began to make my way when the door made noise.

Well, obviously it didn't, it was someone behind it.

Quickly grabbing my keys, I opened it.

And gasped.

There, standing before me with her amazingly athletic build and eyes that rivalled Ash's for translucence, was Danielle. She looked every piece of wonderful that I could remember.

"Wow. You really can pull off anything, can't you?" She giggled.

Oh yeah, I forgot she did that. My expression of surprise soon turned into annoyance.

I stepped out and locked the door, careful to avoid her gaze.

"What are you doing here Danielle?" It had been a while since I saw hide or hair of her and Madison. Being told about their activities was different, at least that meant I wouldn't have to lie to their faces about how well I was doing.

She just bounced on her feet, hands clapping together.

Fuck. Me.

"Where are you off to? I can drive you." She was way too enthusiastic.

I scowled.

"I'm fine."

"Oh, come on. Think of it as a way to get to know each other better."

I don't want to get to know you, I thought. I just want you gone.

But she was persistent, and I remember pointing that out about her when we met, so I ended up in her purple topless Audi, listening to whatever radio station she'd left it on. I still didn't get to know her much, just that she was a big talker and seemed dreadfully...

"Danielle?" I asked. We'd made it quite a few miles and Dad's house was only about another five minutes away.

"Yeah?" She was excited.

"How's Madison? Is everything alright between you two?"

That done it.

She flipped her hair out of her face and kept her eyes on the road, but she also stopped being so happy.

"Actually, that's why I came to you today," When my attention never diverted, she continued. Her voice was lower than normal. "Madison and I are moving in together. She hasn't said anything, obviously, but I know she wants to tell you. She's mad at you, it doesn't mean she's stopped caring."

I downcast my eyes. "So why are you telling me? Shouldn't she?"

She stifled a laugh, the muscles in her arms flexing as she shifted her hands around the steering wheel. We turned a corner.

"Well, yeah. She's stubborn though, she doesn't think you'll approve." Danielle's voice was still able to retain is sweet tone, although I could tell she was nervous.

She worried I didn't like her.

We stopped outside of my father's house. As I patted my hair down and prepared to tell her thanks, I felt a warm hand on top of mine.

Her gold manicured nails tickled my skin and I shivered.

"I know you don't like me, but I'm hoping I can change your mind. I really like Madison, I haven't felt this way about anyone, it's all kind of new to me. Anyway, I'm just..." She breathed out, then turned her head to me and grinned softly. "I hope you two figure it out, I do."

Danielle was right, I didn't like her. I had questioned myself on why and fooled myself into believing it was because she'd taken my best friend away from me. Well, she hadn't, not really.

I'd pushed Madison away from the beginning, every word I said to her gave reason for her to leave. In the end, I got what I wanted.

To be alone.

Madison had gotten herself a lovely girlfriend, who she decided she'd soon share a lease with, and had eradicated all negativity from her life. That was me. I had to disappear for the good to make its way in.

I loved Madison and I always would -- but she was right. Just like everyone else had been about me. I didn't have the entitlement to anything good.

We're not friends... I'm not sure we ever were.

Giving Danielle's hand a squeeze, I stepped out and approached my father's home. It would be good to look upon a face I actually wanted to see.

He greeted me joyfully before I even got to the front porch and took me in his arms. Being there, touched by someone I'd known all my life, it felt like a place I'd missed.

"Why don't you invite your friend in, sweetheart?" His voice was smooth and polite, as always.

I turned to notice Danielle was still parked by the sidewalk. She raised her hand in salute and revved the engine. Before I got the chance to ask her, out of common courtesy of course, she'd sped down the road and was gone.

My father rubbed his arm up and down my back.

"Oh well. Come on, snuggle monster. I think you and I could do with some cake."

Winking, I laughed as he ushered me into the building I grew up in.