Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 3 - Family Union

I figured I could leave Dave at mine for a bit. He was a neighbor and he fancied the pants off me, so I trusted he wouldn't steal anything bigger than a used thong.

Upon choosing whether to stay at home and listen to him prattle on about what good sex we'd just had or visiting my brother and his girlfriend in hospital... I chose the latter. Mainly because it meant I had the slightest of chances to bump into Dr Cameron again.

Sure, I'd be seeing him eventually since he appointed himself my official doctor, but I wanted to see him tonight.

So, I called my brother, apologising about my delay, and then got dressed in one of my favorite outfits. Midnight blue thigh-high dress and flats. I wore only a g-string just in case.

I was applying the last touches to my make-up when Dave came back through. He'd made me a bacon sandwich.

"Thanks." I mumbled. I took a bite, he'd seasoned it and it was good.

He smiled, kissed the top of my head then looked at me. It took all my courage to meet his gaze.

"You look amazing. Where are you off to?"

I'd never lied to Dave before, so I wasn't going to start now, even though I hated every moment I was spending with him.

"The hospital. My brother's girlfriend is in labour."

"Oh yeah, I forgot she was pregnant. Do they know if it's a boy or a girl?"

I shook my head, coughing a little. "No. They wanted a surprise."

"That's nice."

Growing tired of his attempt to make conversation, I applied the rest of my make up quickly, ate half of my sandwich, then tried to make a bolt for the door.

He was on the sofa reading one of my James Herbert books. He looked up from it and we locked.

"If you're going to leave at some point, the spare key is taped to the head of the letter box."

He grinned. "I'll remember to lock up."

Nodding in agreement since it's all I could think of doing, I left. I got in my car and I couldn't have left it any more awkward.
***

Being in the hospital two times in one day is not how I regularly spend my Fridays. But if it meant seeing Dr Cameron again even for the briefest of time, I wasn't complaining.

Sure, I was going to see a lot of him during my treatment, but I wanted him to get to know the real me and not cancer-stricken me.

Soon, he wouldn't view me as a woman, but as a patient he needed to help cure. And although I hated the thought of it, it was inevitable.

I arrived at the maternity ward, greeting my family with large hugs and kisses on cheek.

"How is Alison?" I asked once all the hellos were out of the way.

As if on cue, the door closest to us opened and out came a nurse with a heart monitor. Peeking inside, I could see my brother Ciaran holding onto a reddened and sweating Alison, whose legs were stretched far apart. She was screaming.

"Somebody get this thing out of me quicker!"

The door slammed shut again, just as I coughed. My father's eyebrows furrowed as my cousins Jamie and Richard began talking about who'd be the best cousin to the little one.

"Shira darling, did you go to that doctor's appointment?"

I nodded. I'd always tried to refrain from lying to my father, since that was the main reason for my parents' divorce.

"It went fine."

Don't press on it please, I secretly begged.

"I love you, snuggle monster." He'd called me that since I was a baby. And I loved it.

"I love you too, Dad."

Clutching his hand tight, there was a final scream from the room. And wailing. Lots and lots of wailing.

Best of all, laughter.

Minutes later, the doctor and nurses had evacuated the room, my brother not long following.

He was beaming, moving about with a glow that seemed to never stop expanding. My brother was somebody that, if he were happy, then you'd be so immediately too.

His natural black locks were sticking to his face, as his blue eyes penetrated through the whole room. He'd just helped his woman through the miracle of life, and he loved every minute of it.

"It's a boy! I have a son!"

We all cheered, wanting to go for a big hug but stopping ourselves because he was covered in baby fluid.

Tearing my attention away from my brother long enough to look behind him, I saw Dr Cameron standing there, hands in pockets as he watched.

Excusing myself, I couldn't wait to speak with my doctor.

"Dr Cameron! My brother--"

"Congratulations, yeah. I heard you signed into the visitors log and I was confused. So I had to request where you were." He twitched his nose suddenly, probably smelling something I couldn't.

"Here I was, thinking you'd seen sense and wanted to start your treatment, but it seems the only way to get you back here is for some emotionally high riding woman to pop out another stupid sprog."

I was taken aback. Sure, I didn't really like Alison, but that was rude.

"I'd come back in my own time, doctor. I just needed space."

"For what? Contemplating your impossible future?"

That stung. I wouldn't cry at that. He was just seeking for a rise out of me. Well, I hoped he enjoyed disappointment.

"No, to fuck my neighbor." I said.

He smirked. Then, loosening up a little bit, itched the back of his head.

But something I never noticed before caught my eye. It shone as he moved, a spark coming from it as it reflected off the ceiling lights.

I inwardly gasped.

I'd seen, just before he pocketed his hands again, what was quite clearly a golden wedding ring.