Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 43 - I'll Never be the Same Again

August took me out, saying that being stuck in my apartment all day wasn't doing me any favors. I knew he was right, of course, but leaving the place where Ash and I had spent so much time getting to know each other... I wasn't sure I wanted to.

Everything between us had happened in my studio. Where we first told little of our stories, our first kiss, the first time we slept together...

The place he dumped me.

Why was I dwelling on it? God, men hadn't affected me so much since Ben, even then I'd allowed that to happen. We had been in an established relationship, after all. But what was different this time around?

Blocking all answers I may have possibly received, August took my hand and we were in a bar somewhere just after midday. It looked nice enough, high pillars and black and white tiled walls, metal stools and plenty of space between all tables. The musk was the problem. It stank of aftershave, clearly this was a man's hangout.

There were girls, sure, few and far between. Most of them sent murderous glares my way when they noticed the hunk I was with.

I decided to let them have their fun, and winked, before taking his hand again and letting him sit me down on a stool in front of the bar.

"Hey there, dolly, what can I get you?" The bartender was female, too, with long sunshine blonde hair that flowed so far down I couldn't see past the counter. It was tousled too, like she'd just hopped out of the shower, strands sticking together. Her eyes were smothered with black shadow, giving her the appearance of a raccoon.

Most people were put off by that kind of look, but I liked it. She reminded me a little of that rock singer I couldn't remember the name of.

"Water, I guess." I threw my hood down, careful to avoid her eyes. They were so blue they demanded the spotlight.

August nudged me. "It's not illegal to have a little fun, beautiful lady."

I eyed him closely, wanting to shake him and tell him I wasn't worth all this. He'd made me feel somewhat better, sure, but happiness is only ever temporary. I learned that the hard way.

"No, but it's not recommended."

He blew a raspberry.

"Screw the rule book, Shira. You don't have to follow it anymore... live a little."

I laughed. Maybe I'd been hanging around him far too much -- but that made perfect sense to me. I mean, why not? It's not like I had much else left to lose.

"Okay then," I looked up at the woman serving our drinks. She was waiting on us, amused by our exchange. "Your strongest whiskey please."

"Great choice." She grinned.

Tossing me my poison, I tipped it back instantly. The dry liquid hit me hard, the taste of freedom I'd left behind me. I could make out the taste of the barrel it was originally from, the bitterness I used to crave.

I slumped in my seat, trying to relax, as August's hand patted my back. Just as I was about to thank him for bringing me here, Pink's "Like a Pill" started blaring from his back jeans pocket.

Holding it to his ear, he began mumbling some business talk. Sending me a signal to say he wouldn't be long, he disappeared into the back garden.

I never was a great person to be left alone, paranoia always got the best of me. So, I needed a distraction.

"Is it normal to have more than ten people here at this hour?" I asked, looking stealthily around me. Some of the women from tables had vanished. No bet they'd followed him outside and were looking to trap him.

Good luck with that, I inwardly snorted.

The barmaid cackled out a laugh, as my finger struck out and I swirled it around the rim of my glass.

"Don't worry, your boyfriend certainly has all eyes for you." When she caught my eyes, she gestured her head to the door he'd exited through. "They may have followed him, but they'll be coming back alone and angry."

"He's not my boyfriend."

Her eyebrows shot up. She began cleaning glasses, whipping her hair behind her shoulder, I watched it cascade all the way down past her hips. Damn, it was longer than mine by a mile.

"Sure fooled me, he can't keep his eyes off you."

"He's just protective." I responded quickly. Her eyes met mine in a challenge, I resisted from laughing. "I'm being serious, we're not together."

Her lips moved in a pout as the veins in her neck throbbed. Her skin was delicate looking... like what mine used to be. Now, I was all grey and decaying, anyone could make out I was waiting for death.

"So, you've never..." Her tone was teasing.

I didn't stop myself this time, I was laughing. For the first time in days, I felt the heaviness being ripped away from me and placed somewhere new, somewhere colder. Because right now, I didn't feel frozen. I was fire.

"Once." I held up a finger in expression. She poured me another glass, before leaning forward on her elbows. Her face was only centimeters away.

"Girl, no wonder you look like death. He obviously just fucked all life out of you."

I chuckled again.

During the time August was on that very important phone call, I'd exchanged names with her. She was called Angel and had been working in this bar for more than two years. In all of our heart to heart, she'd forgotten to make note of my every charge. I was eyeing the bill and was about to point it out to her when my ears picked up the strangest sound.

A laugh. No, of course that wasn't what was odd; it was the voice it belonged to. Soon, it began shrieking wildly, joyfully, as another familiar tone joined in.

Looking over my shoulder briefly, I caught sight of them. Hand in hand, shoulders brushing as they waltzed to their designated seats. Shoes clapped against the floor, a little bounced added to each step.

I looked back at the bartender, giving her a small smile.

"Can you tell my friend I had to leave. Promise him I'll pay next time."

She nodded, somewhat hazily. "Yes, of course."

I gathered myself, as I plopped down off the stool, begging myself not to sway too much. I didn't think I did and began making my way out, ignoring the looks from women who seemed too triumphant, as if thinking August had abandoned me. They saw an ugly woman who didn't deserve such a fine man.

But... I was beautiful.

Closing the door behind me, I was greeted by a slight breeze and an empty street. Out here, I could breathe. Out here, I didn't have to listen to sounds of someone who left me behind.

I swallowed, still able to taste the whiskey on the top of my tongue. I held my coat closer to my body, in a wasted effort to get warm. I was always cold.

"You always sucked at running away from your problems, but what about when they catch up to you instead?"

Breathing unevenly, I turned my head, locking eyes with those I missed so much. Those I used to believe would be there forever, until the day they weren't.

Madison stood there, dressed in a puffy black skirt and white shirt. She wore flats on her feet, something she didn't do often.

She looked as gorgeous as ever. Just as I remembered. I was scared I had the wrong image in mind before then, it had been too long since I'd seen her last.

She smiled softly, understandably.

"Danielle's inside, if you want to sit down and catch up?" She turned, then when I didn't follow immediately, looked back over her shoulder and bit her bottom lip. I knew why she did that. It meant there was more to come.

Please.

"By the way, you look like hell."

Perfect. I smiled and went back inside.