Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 44 - Not All Wires Have to be Clipped

Madison and I didn't speak to each other, at least not until we joined Danielle in their little booth. From what I could see, my ex-best friend's girlfriend looked hot today. I mean, I knew she'd always been a pretty girl, but today she especially looked great.

"Hello stranger, how have you been?" Her smile was wide, the kind that reached your eyes.

I tried an acceptable response. I only just noticed Madison's quizzical look when I did.

"I'm okay, thanks Danielle. It's nice to see you."

She giggled. "Don't lie."

I didn't feel like arguing with her, so I left it. Besides, I couldn't tell if she was joking or not. I didn't know how to go about her, perhaps that was why Madison had fallen so hard.

They clasped their hands under the table. My eyes may have hardened at the sight.

Madison's smile was somewhat forced.

"How are you?"

She wasn't normally one to beat around the bush, so I rolled my eyes discreetly and slumped in my seat.

"The same really, just not."

My gaze locked on hers, she nodded.

"Death doesn't look good on you, I'll admit. I feel like I'm talking to Victoria Beckham." She joked, and I laughed lightly, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

Silence wasn't something I was used to when in the company of Madison, nor Danielle in the past few times we'd spent together. I couldn't talk about it, otherwise I was addressing the fact that maybe she shouldn't have approached me. When, in reality, I wanted to speak with her, get to know how she was doing... It just didn't come as easy as it used to.

And that bothered me.

Madison and I used to be so close, hurling insults at each other and still coming out without our armor being cracked. Is this truly what we'd become?

Maybe I'd been right in my assumptions before. We weren't friends, never had been.

The barmaid, Angel, stalked to our table, where I was finally able to catch just how long those locks of hers were. True enough, they surpassed her ass.

She was handling a tray, in the middle of it a round of shots. There were four instead of three.

"I thought my new friend could use a double. You need it."

Winking, she sauntered back to her post, as we all grabbed a shot each. From the look Madison was giving me, I'd made the wrong decision in taking up the offer.

I swallowed.

"I'm dying anyway, what does it matter?"

A scowl broke out on her face and she jerked in her booth. Not long after, an echoed yelp chorused through the room. She'd kicked my calf under the table.

"Of course it matters, Shira!" She danced her fingers around her glass, avoiding eye contact with Danielle as well. "I overreacted before. I don't want you to die, I'm not that heartless. I see you now, and I'd done it only to hurt you... And you are. You actually are dying."

Danielle, sinking further into her futon, slipped her shot back.

I didn't think there was a point to it in that moment, Madison and I spoke like we were the only two people left in the world.

"I wouldn't recommend first class seats. It hasn't been great." I mumbled.

"Yeah, I get that. I'm still sorry though."

I nodded, showing my appreciation. My eyes flickered back to her girlfriend. Hadn't she been the reason our friendship exploded?

No, Shira, you'd known it was coming. It had only been a matter of time, I reasoned.

So I watched Madison as she slugged her drink back and rejoined her. They connected eyes briefly, intimately, that I felt an unexpected pang.

I was twenty five and dying. I'd missed out on so many things, others I'd never get the chance to explore. I didn't have much, just myself, and I'd been okay with that...

Until recently.

I didn't want to be the person I identified as. I didn't want to be careful, cold and calculating every inch of my life. There was nothing wrong with begging for a little time to change. For better or for worse.

In my case? Who knew?

Bored with talking about my own life, I asked for details on their relationship. Danielle was very open about it, claiming that everyone was telling her to slow things down, but she didn't heed their words. Her eyes had been wide open from the very beginning.

And I listened, to the both of them, as they giggled and shared stories. I even laughed where appropriate and, going by the grin Madison gave me, I was doing well.

They showed me pictures of their apartment (which was one hundred times better than mine) and all agreed I should stop by one day and we could catch up some more.

And I was fine with that, with knowing I'd been missed enough to be welcome in their home. It just wasn't enough to be back fully in their lives.

But not all hope was lost. I had a few more months to make up for it.

We were discussing Danielle's band when I heard the squeak of a door opening and closing. Heavy footsteps soon followed, gaining on us.

I turned my head to find August by the side of the bar, a smile upon his face as he saw me in the booth. He'd returned from his call, probably thinking he'd have to grovel for taking so long. I bet he didn't have this mapped out in front of him.

Asking Angel quickly for a drink, he tipped his to me in gesture. I grabbed mine and responded, unblinking as I downed it and then the other. All the meanwhile, I noticed I was in the greatest company a dying girl like me could ask for.

I didn't have a fancy house, or a career. I didn't own the biggest names or labels, nothing lavish to my name. I had no children, or a man to have helped me bear such specimens.

And the one thing that didn't bother me:

I was okay with it.