Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 45 - Agony Brings No Reward

I let Madison and her girlfriend leave when I knew they wanted to. I didn't stay for long after that either, August claimed we should visit my family and update them too. He was right, I hadn't seen them all in a bit.

So, I exchanged numbers with Angel, saying I was looking forward to a proper hang out with her... And I wasn't lying.

August suggested coming with me, but had to leave once he received another phone call. He kissed me goodbye on the forehead, the kind that lingered.

A few certain words ran through my head, but I didn't want to focus on them. I had my family to see. Priorities, I told myself.

I changed into something a little nicer than my mustard-stained lounge wear. I decided upon a cute purple turtleneck and skirt, with black heels to match.

I did my make-up too, plastering myself in it. Nearly an hour later, I looked as close to I'd originally been as possible.

A way I'd never properly be again.

A day with my family was just what I needed, I realized, as I sat with them and laughed at my dad's jokes. I'd missed them without knowing.

I avoided questions that involved Ash (mainly from the mouth of Alison) and if I was taking any home medicines. My father said, with a note from my doctor, it was perfectly legal for me to purchase marijuana from the medicinal store.

I wasn't completely clueless, but it did take me by surprise. Smoking a joint could also then be under 'get high' on my list. A list I'd completely abandoned once I favored the affair.

Alison was trying to wake Theo from his slumber so he could have his afternoon feeding, as I ignored the jab in my side. Luckily, my brother came to my rescue.

"Here," He handed me a note with his fancy writing scrawled all over it. "You'll want to give this to Chester. He'll know what to do."

I raised a quizzical eyebrow. It was no question my brother had been quite the rebel when he was younger, but I thought that was all behind him. He was a father now for Christ's sake!

He just laughed.

"We're buddies." All too quickly though his expression changed, as he tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear.

"I can see you're trying to be brave, it's admirable -- but sometimes there are things even bravery can't stand against."

My throat constricted.

My father joined us right then, his massive eyes shining between us as he looked back and forth.

"It was lovely to see you. Visit sooner alright? There's only so much alone time an old man can take." He joked.

Soon, we were all out the door and going our separate ways.

I walked back into the city, heading for the hospital. I kept on telling myself that it was normal of me to show up here, if I ran into the fucker I could just leave. I certainly didn't want to stick around for whatever apologies he may have had in mind -- if any, going by how easily he'd ended it.

Shaking all thoughts of him, I headed for Dr Spears' office. I resisted looking all around me as I did, not giving into my paranoia.

For once, there wasn't a line. I rapped on the door.

His greeting was not one of friendly enthusiasm, which was different. Normally he was happy to see me.

"Miss Walker? Why are you here?"

Letting his tone slide, I handed him the note my brother gave me. He scanned it quickly enough, grumbled a little, then wrote me a prescription.

Wow, that was easier than I thought.

Handing it to me, he hadn't invited me in or asked me how I was. So, perhaps I'd caught him on an off day. Dr Spears usually wasn't one for mood swings, his friend had them all too often for the both of them.

Not wanting to get on his bad side, I thanked him then headed for the elevator. His office wasn't on as high a floor as Ash's, so I didn't have to risk the man joining me for an uncomfortable silence in the enclosed space.

I pressed the button to go down when I heard his wail.

Turning, my oncologist was closing in on me. The door pinged behind me, ready to welcome me inside.

"I apologize for my rudeness there. It's just... I was startled to see you after so long."

My eyes narrowed. He was acting fishy and I didn't like it.

"It's fine," I replied, stepping away to catch the elevator before it left without me. However, I stopped when I felt a warm, puffy hand clasp around my forearm. I stared up at him with wide eyes. "Dr Spears, may I please leave?"

"I didn't know what else to do, Miss Walker. I just wanted everything to be like it was; the way it's supposed to."

"I have no idea what you're on about." I tried wriggling out of his grip, but it was wound around me like a vice. If I dared move fast or carelessly, I might have a broken bone. "If you could just--"

"He's unhappy."

Our eyes met. His eyes were blue, I realized, for the first time ever. I'd never stared long enough to detail him fully. Eyes that were small, had many crows feet around them, and were trying to bulge out of their sockets at this moment, just like mine.

I'd never seen Dr Spears look so afraid, or anything really, besides happiness. His chirpiness had been misplaced somewhere with this. Forgotten while he grieved.

Is that what this was? Was he grieving for his friend?

"Dr Spears, I honestly can't help you. Now--"

"I know about the affair."

I stopped moving for a second, but I was quick to pull myself together. Poker faces were something I excelled at.

"What affair?" I breathed. Okay, good, it didn't come out high-pitched, nor was I lacking in any oxygen. I may get away with this, after all.

"Yours. With Ash."

"What?" I laughed it off, growing into hysterics.

"I thought I was doing the right thing, I kept on feeding to him that you weren't right for him. I needed him to see that he couldn't throw his life away, that you were a mistake and..."

His words finally began to sink in, pouring onto my head like boiling water. My temperature rose and my every thought danced around me, like a tribe to their fire. Only this time, there would be no kicking of sand.

I broke free from him eventually, maintaining eye contact meanwhile. My arm tingled from where he'd handled me, undoubtedly bruised, but I couldn't focus on that at all anymore. Instead, I'd gone haywire.

He reached out to me again, but I flinched away. He'd just slotted everything into place for me... what did he think was going to happen?

"Stay away from me."

"Miss Walker, if you could just--"

"I request another doctor." I said, grabbing the prescription he'd written me and tearing it into pieces, they fell like snowflakes to the ground. "I don't care who it is, as long as it's not you. Stay away from me, and stay out of my personal life."

Not waiting to hear another excuse, I forgot all about the elevator and headed for the stairs. I'd gotten to roundabout halfway when it all crashed into me at once, like a runaway train. I gripped onto the railing for balance, but ended up not caring when I was sprawled all over it like a dead body.

And, soon enough, that's all I'd ever be.