Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 47 - There Will be Blood

The next day, feeling somewhat better about the amends I'd made with most people last night (except for Ash and Ben), it was the first time I'd woke up with a smile on my face for a while... and it felt good.

I sat on the edge of the bed, growing instantly dizzy. Great, crash-goes-boom to my euphoric mood -- light-headedness meant I was going to have a headache come noon. So I stood up, ambling towards the bathroom.

There was a sharp pain in my side, like a stitch, but a little more painful. I held onto it, as I used my other arm to balance on the neck of the couch. Closing my eyes briefly and wishing the pain away, it began to numb.

Blowing out hot air, I shook my head as I made way to the bathroom again. It seemed like a long distance away, which was weird.

I opened the door, about to reach for the light when I stopped. Nope, that would certainly bring on the dreaded headache.

I'd perhaps only made a few steps when the discomfort hit me again, except this time like a searing hot blade cutting through my stomach. Wrapping my arm around it again, I winced as it brought upon me its vengeance for getting rid of it last time.

Trying to ignore it the best I could, I reached for the medicine cabinet. I'm sure I had a Tylenol or two left.

I hobbled carefully, my hand still pressed to my waist, fumbling through the cabinets. The bottles fell into the faucet, popping the caps open and scattering everywhere, including the floor. I went to catch some before they fell down the sink, but when I scrabbled for them they were gone. All that was left was on the floor.

Once again, my stomach began its sheer torment.

I clutched it, as piercing noises filled the whole of the apartment. With a start, I realized I was screaming.

I needed to get to the hospital, but who could I call? Dr Spears was a definite no-go, especially after that stunt he'd pulled. And Dr Prince wouldn't return from her holiday for another week or so.
I had no other choice.

Grabbing my mobile out from my pocket, I fought to punch in the numbers. My blurry vision and bursts of pain stopping me from being able.

It struck again, so hard this time I collapsed to the floor, writhing in all my agony. My mobile was out of reach, so I had to crawl for it.

I could hear the dial tone, it kept going as I stretched out for it. My shrieking and the electric current being sent through my body were messing with my head. It soon became fuzzy.

I tried to breathe, but each inhale I made took the strength out of me.

"This is Doctor Ash Cameron."

Finally! I opened my mouth to try and talk, but all that came was a gurgle of sorts.

"Shira? Is everything okay?"

As if right on time, my stomach gripped like a vice. I released another pain-filled scream, trying to speak but knowing he'd gotten the picture anyway.

There was an audible gasp on the other end of the line, as well as the sound of messy rattling.

"Hold on. I'll be right there. I'm coming. Damn it, Shira."

He hung up. So I continued to lie there, feeling like the ceiling was crushing down on me. And it could've been, how would I have known? I'm pretty sure this level of pain could cause delusions.

I coughed, which didn't help at all, as it strained the muscles in my stomach. I closed my eyes, directing it to the floor.

It kept going, although I got some splash back -- I think.

I heard the door burst open and Ash's frantic voice as I tried calling out to him that I was in the bathroom, but he was already making his way here.

He appeared, as beautiful as ever in his spotless white coat, which he didn't care to take off before he came to get me.

Just as I was about to smile for him, another shriek sounded from inside of me. This time, the pain was unforgiving, punishing.

He cursed as he raced towards me, enveloping me in his arms as he hoisted me up and began to carry me away.

And I didn't know if it was the extreme torture I was going through, or the side-effects that came with it, but I think I saw a stain on the floor. Dark, almost black when mixed with the paneling of the wood... I couldn't be mistaken.

It was blood.