Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 4 - Liquor in the Front

I grew sweaty, like I was in California or the Sahara desert.

But, not here. In a hospital. With my seriously hot doctor...

Let’s rephrase that, actually.

My hot married doctor.

I couldn’t believe it. I was astounded. How come I’d never noticed before? Was I too busy just staring at his lovely crotch that I never saw that symbol that meant he was strictly off-limits?

“Miss Walker?”

My throat was dry, and my eyes were stuck on his left hand. I needed to see it again, I had to know if what I’d seen was true.

I tried for a smile, knowing he’d be able to see through it.

“I’m quite alright. I’ll come back tomorrow and we’ll talk about it then. Goodbye, Dr Cameron.”

His eyebrows furrowed, as expected, but he didn’t try to stop me.

So, I rejoined my family, saw and cradled my new (and petite) nephew in my arms, said some lovely stuff about him and agreed with people whenever I needed to... But it wasn’t real.

Because I was too busy in my head, reeling from the fact that – even though I was one hundred percent sure he’d been made an honest man by someone else – I still wanted to fuck my doctor.

After leaving the hospital, I stood out by the entrance, tapping numbers into my cellphone of someone I hadn’t seen in a while but knew would be glad to hear from me.

The rain spotted my fingers and dulled the harsh lighting of the screen.

Holding the phone to my ear, I anticipated the sound of her voice.

The receiver finally picked up on the fourth ring. That was a semi-good sign, it meant she wanted to speak to me, at least a little bit.

“It’s been a while... Dust has been gathering where you once lay and rats took up residence...” Her sweet, childish tone wasn’t meant to be threatening, but I still felt guilty. “Just as I was finally about to cut you out of my life.”

I twitched on the spot, the growing cold of the rain not helping either.

I stayed silent. I’d known Madison for no more than five years, but she knew exactly what to say to grab my attention, always had. She’d always been so focused and full of life, so...

“Shira? Hello-oo?” She cooed.

Shit. I’d phased out. I bet she’d been telling me something important too, and I’d gone and daydreamed.

I really was a horrible friend. I guess I was lucky in the regards I didn’t have many.

“Shira... Is everything alright?”

I swallowed, at the same time suppressing a cough that yearned to escape.

“Come dancing with me? There’s something I need to tell you.” I knew I had to tell someone and I could think of nobody better than Madison.

She stuttered her words, the background noise audible, meaning she was already on the move.

“Um, y-yeah. I’ll get you outside Liquor in the Front in about fifteen minutes... Is that okay?”

I repressed a smile, glad I at least still had a part of her. So I agreed.
***

I got many eyes as I waited outside the club Madison had suggested. It was her typical hangout, not my style, of course, but I greeted the eye ups with a smug smile. It did not matter who you were, it appeared – I was still a hit.

Knowing Madison would be on time, and not a minute later, I was okay with waiting. Sure, the smell of cigarettes wasn’t appealing, but it was only a matter of time until I would be inside with the rest of the sweating bodies.

“Shira, there you are!”

Whipping around, a slim redhead stood out from within a yellow taxi. She paid the fare fully in change, to the exact penny as always, and smiled that charming smile. As I predicted, the driver couldn’t keep his eyes off her.

Which, to be fair, I couldn’t blame him for.

Madison’s beauty was elegant, old-fashioned, like she was a true nineteen fifties woman. Her pointed nose and chin defined her entire face, which was oval-shaped with a hint of cherub at the cheeks. Her pale complexion rivaled snow and her dark eyes, which often looked black, let others know she was a force to be reckoned with.

My lips curled up as she approached.

But the stinging sensation that arose on the one side of my face proved that my pleasure at her presence wasn’t welcome here.

I held my hand to my throbbing cheek as she straightened her jacket and repositioned herself.

“You’re a bitch.” She simply said.

Unable to disagree with that, I nodded.

“And I hate you.”

Okay, I probably deserved that, too. I hadn’t exactly been the best friend in the past couple of months or so.

“You sounded like you really needed me tonight... so here I am. A few drinks sound like they’re in order.” She smirked a little, about to walk on ahead, before she stopped again and gave me another look down. “And the fact that you haven’t said a word since I got here definitely means it’s serious. All I ever want is for you to be okay − that’s why I came.”

I know, I thought, you’re a much better person than I am.

With that in mind, I followed her into the club. Though I might have attracted all the eyes before, with Madison close, attention always wavered. She was lucky I wasn’t the jealous type.

Liquor in the Front, since its grand opening, always had been a lively place. With great music, cherry scented and a whole fuckload of bodies gyrating on each other, it never ended with a bad night out. Perhaps the strobe lights could be too bright and warm, but it gave its customers better excuses to rub groin on groin, and make way far too many displays of public affection.

No booths were available, so we unfortunately had to grab seats by the bar. I noticed Madison checking out the bartender before we sat down.

She ordered her typical Campari Flamingo and seemed perplexed when I insisted on just buying milk.

“Alright then... so tell me, what has the invincible Shira Walker so worked up?” She exaggerated. I rolled my eyes, receiving an enchanting laugh.

Maybe things hadn’t changed between us, despite how long it had been. That would be nice.

“Don’t tell anyone yet… I haven’t.” I wanted her to realize how much I valued her by letting her know she was the first I spoke to about this.

“Okay...” Her eyebrows furrowed. She took a sip of her cocktail.

“I was at the hospital earlier today. You probably won’t believe it, but,” I swirled my straw. How was I supposed to tell her? What was I meant to say? I wish Dr Cameron had given me a leaflet or something on how to break the news to loved ones.

“I’m dying. I have throat cancer.”

I gave it a second.

But Madison just continued to drink.

I didn’t know if that was her way of processing the information or it was a show of how little she cared. Either way, I was left waiting again, and it was a painful time. It was worse than waiting on my exam results.

Eventually, she removed her soft lips from her glass, sucked in her cheeks and blinked a few times before she looked me in the eyes. In the harsh lighting of the club, the whole of her sclera looked black.

Demon woman, I scolded her mentally.

“So... um, how long do you have?” Her voice was soft, sweet. I was happy she still held that tone for me.

I shrugged.

“I don’t know, really. I’ve still to go in for a whole load of tests, so I’m assuming that’s what they will be for.” I coughed as I downed my milk. “Just... out of everyone I thought should be the first to know... you won.” I tried for a smile.

So did she, but it was forced, I could tell.

“Because I’m a winner.”

“You are.”

Grinning softly, she ran a hand through her hair. Her eyes were suddenly heavy, her face fallen and nowhere close to the happiness it originally sported tonight.

And, in my support, for her and the situation, I snaked a hand across the bar and held it out. I generated quite a lot of attention in doing so, especially as I never let go of her gaze. Not even for a second would I.

Something went unspoken between us. A breath, a silent understanding, a mental message... just something.

Because her blue manicured nails scraped lightly across the length of my fingers as she latched onto my hand for dear life.