Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 49 - I Aint No Bridget Jones

I don't know how long I sat on that bed, dumbfounded and extremely angered by Ben's appearance. I didn't know which was worse: Ash calling him here, or that he actually showed up.

He was going to rub his perfect little life in my face. Hey, maybe he was still with that skanky hoe.

Fear crept into me when I noticed my brother approaching the room from out the window. If he saw...

"Lock the door." I squeezed out. My throat was dry and my stomach hurt again.

Ash went to speak before Ben beat him to it.

"Rules first though before this threesome gets underway. I don't want no cheesy nob--"

"Ben! Door, please." Oh God, I couldn't believe I forgot how much he loved the sound of his own voice.

Rolling his eyes, he did as I asked. So when the door handle began fumbling from the other side, we all held our breaths. As much as I loved my brother, and he cared for me in the same way, I didn't want him to know Ben was here.

I didn't think it was possible to hate the man anymore than what I did... but Ciaran raised the bar.

We waited until he was gone before I looked at them both. The only two men I'd let into my heart, and both of them crushed it without a second thought.

I didn't know who deserved my wrath more.

"Why are you here?" I spoke through clenched teeth. Although it may have been directed towards my real ex-boyfriend, my eyes were all for Ash.

"You needed medical attention, I was the only one who could approve of the procedure."

I smirked frostily. "Wasn't that just so sweet of you? Well, I'm fine now, you can leave."

Ben chuckled lightly, facing the ground as he touched a hand to the end railing of my bed. No doubt he was trying to read the charts to get a better insight into my health, the sleazy bastard he is.

He rounded across it until he was by my side, my gaze never slipping. He scrutinised everything around him, his attention focusing on a statuesque Ash as he stopped.

"You were consumed in so much agony you passed out. That is not a symptom to an illness anyone lets roll over their head. However, you and Dr McDreamy here seem to be doing a good job, maybe I can leave until your next hospitalization."

As he leaned forward, I had to grip the sheets tight between my hands. It had been two years since I saw him last, and none of my resentment had faded away.

I locked gazes with Ash, who I was quick to notice was looking murderous. He wasn't watching me.
Ben's lips touched my left temple, his breath cascading down my face like smoke. He smelled like roasted marshmallow.

It hadn't changed.

My head tingled in the aftermath of his kiss... which was just great.

"Or," He perked up. He was so close to me, I could barely breathe. "I could just stick around so it doesn't happen again -- You know what? That sounds like the perfect plan."

Smiles were deceiving, behind them were multiple lies.

So, since that was something I tried to avoid on a daily basis, I didn't copy him. Instead I rested my eyes upon him fully, staying perceptive.

"I'm going to change my medical records as soon as possible. You don't want to see my face just as much as I want to throw boiling hot acid on yours."

"And ruin my ruggedly handsome looks? I don't think you have it in you."

Ben and I used to hurt insults at each other all the time, back when we were together, much like these ones... but there had never been any true hostility. Now, things were different, circumstances had changed.

I pushed my chest out a little.

"Dr Cameron, could you please escort Ben outside? I don't think dogs are allowed inside the building."

Ash went to do as requested, but my ex had already thrown his arms up in defeat, in a desperate attempt not to be manhandled or humiliated. As if in reaction, Ash backed off a little, his eyes meeting mine halfway.

There were many questions he yearned to ask me. I guess it was just such a shame he didn't have that privilege anymore.

"Fine, I'll leave, so you and Dr Sexy can talk about... well, whatever you two talk about anyway." Winking, he opened the door. Thinking that would be the last I see of him for a while, I made the mistake in exhaling.

"Oh, and Shira?"

I raised my head, as we locked. If I didn't detest his whole being, then I probably would have commented how good he looked these days, more so than he did before. Maybe it was those lips, they always had known how to tease me.

"I love you."

Just as I was about to react, Ash pushed him out the door, locking it behind him again. It echoed loud, like a thunderstorm.

That therefore left just the two of us. He wouldn't look at me, instead focusing on the retreating figure of Ben walking out of the ward. Well, he couldn't say I didn't try to avoid a confrontation.

The air was heavy, and I blamed the absent body. His last words haunted not only me, although I couldn't see why it could possibly affect Ash all that much. Yet it did, the tables had turned since I woke up. Now, I was the one begging he say something.

"I'll bring you your papers." He said, expecting to be able to leave with just that.

"Wait. I just... I did warn you about Ben." I swallowed, hating the sight of his back. "I told you the both of us in a room together wasn't a good idea."

He nodded, a small rumble making way out of his chest.

"Yeah. The abhorrence you have for each other certainly is something." Sending me a fake smile over his shoulder, it wasn't hard to truly figure out what he meant. I was about to jump in when he opened the door fully. "See you around, Shira."

Did Ben's words really affect him that much?

I mean, it's not like Ash was jealous or anything...

Was he?