Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 50 - Dearly Beloved

It seems I wasn't done with surprises for the day though. I mean, being in so much pain you cough up blood and have to face your ex in the same room as the man you had an affair with... like that isn't bad enough.

No, it seemed Thursday had more tricks up her sleeve.

I got friendly with my nurse, and we were joking about cancer together, when my door opened to reveal my father.

"Hey snuggle monster." His normally soft eyes had thrown up a guard. My smile faded as I assessed him further, the nurse fiddling with my IV.

"Dad, wha-"

My mouth dropped open when he stood to the side, holding the door open, for a tall black-haired woman. She sauntered in with a manner that showed she demanded attention. Everything about her reeked authority, from her Prada heels to her equally expensive-looking blouse.

She was a beautiful woman. Striking, even. Cheekbones as sharp as Angelina Jolie, and eyes larger than saucers... I'd be a fool not to recognize her.

"Mommy?"

Her smile brightened the dullest of skies, as she hobbled towards my bed in her killer heels and embraced my head to her ample bosom. It was a gesture I'd lost out on for a whole decade.

"Oh, my beautiful, beautiful girl! I have missed you." She purred, running her French nails through my disaster of hair.

I watched my father as he lingered in the doorway, scratching the back of his head, unclear of what to do. Under any other circumstance, I could advise him.

This was not one of those times.

I didn't reciprocate my mother's affection, I was far too startled. Not that it mattered anyway, as she pushed me back again and scanned her emerald eyes all over me. Suddenly, I was self-conscious.

"Look at you, you've grown so much," Growing teary-eyed, she sat beside me on the bed, mistaking my silence for gratitude, as she grinned. "Cancer or no cancer, I have the most gorgeous daughter in the world."

My throat was parched. I asked Dad if he could grab me some water. With frantic eyes, eventually he nodded and left.

Then, I was all alone in a room with a woman I hadn't seen since I was a teenager. I didn't remember her too well. I had no clue what this woman was like. I didn't know if she liked her eggs sunny side up, or what hobbies she may have. I liked to imagine when I was younger, what did she think of Florida? Did she ever wonder what her life would be like if she'd taken Ciaran and I with her?

Fact is, my mother had been nothing more than an easy bake oven for my brother and I to cook in for nine months. A surrogate for a couple of years longer than contracted.

A stranger.

"Your father told me about your illness a month or so back -- I couldn't believe it! My own flesh and blood. Cancer!" She made a sound close to disgust, then when I didn't reply, bit her lip. "Out of everyone in the world it could be... it chose you."

She continued talking, but all I took notice of was the drip of my IV again, and the beep of my heart monitor. It quickened in pace a little, but not enough for her to take notice.

She was so close I could distinguish her perfume. Memories rushed straight to my brain, of living with a woman who laughed every day and cut the buds of dead roses out the back door. She'd always wander back inside, smelling like she'd rolled in the garden.

She didn't...

She didn't smell like that anymore.

The flashbacks evaporated into dust as I inhaled the sweet scent of Chanel. It was all over her, and soon, me.

"... but I'm so glad I have a daughter like you, who fights every step of--"

"Had." I squeaked. It was the first I'd spoken to her since she entered.

She blinked those enchanting eyes at me, smile dissolving a little. There were no wrinkles around her mouth, none to show what emotion she showcased more often now. Was she a happy person still, or depressed like me?

"What's that?"

I cleared my throat, wanting to come out more confident this time, more in control. She couldn't see how much she affected me.

"Had. You had a daughter, you took away that right when you upped and left us, with my money."

I know I spoke about forgiveness and absolution to Alison, especially when it concerned my mother. But that was then, when I thought the next time I'd see her, she'd apologize for her actions.

Which, so far, she definitely had not done.

"Shira, baby--"

"You think you can just waltz in here and pretend everything is fine? That's just as bad. You left the state with my college fund to Florida, and then what? Spent it on some fancy clothes and perfume? Dad sent you divorce papers and you didn't even ask for custody..." I shook my head aggressively, secretly liking how she'd gotten up from the bed and stared at me, crocodile tears soon to be unleashed.

"You didn't even fight for us! Your own children, who you claimed to love so much, and still do. You don't care that I'm dying, because all that you have ever done is look after number one. I get that, and maybe that's why I'm so selfish too. Because if my own mother has the audacity to steal from me and show up here when I could be on my literal death bed, then maybe I deserve it. But you,"

My God, I was seething. The anger poured out from me in all directions, uncaring of the damage I could inflict. She'd announced herself to a life she hadn't been invited back inside. She was deluded if she thought for one second I wouldn't be pissed off.

"You're disgusting. You should be ashamed of what you have done to this family, to me. I may be a horrible person, but even I deserve better than the likes of you."

Her face completely flooded in a river of sorrow, she smeared her make-up trying to get rid of it. So many times it looked like she wanted to say something, but found she was too much of a coward. In the end, she retreated away from me, until her back was to the door and she was slumped against it.

"S-s-Shi--"

"Get. Out."

Unable to meet my eyes, she erupted and flung the door open, sprinting down the corridor. Her heels echoed booms in the hallway, I could still hear them even after she turned the turner.

Maybe this time, she'd actually stay gone.

Someone cleared his throat.

Standing by the doorway, was Ash, a stack of papers under his arm. His head was downcast, as if searching for answers on the floor.

"I brought you these, so you could finally get round to changing that detail you always wanted to." I resisted smiling when he sat them down, mainly because not all my fury was gone.

So, I just nodded.

Halfway out the door, he tested the intense atmosphere and decided to add towards it.

"For what it's worth, you're right."

My nose scrunched itself up, before I finally challenged those magical orbs of mist.

"You do deserve better than her. In fact, you deserve more than what anyone can offer you." Placing a pen down on the window sill, he smiled softly.

Then he left.

And my heart monitor once again regained its normal rhythm.