Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 61 - The Crank is Turning, So Wrong the Way We're Working

Seeing Amy towards the elevator, I pressed the down receiver. She still stood beside me, close, smelling of granola breakfast bars, rather than her Gucci perfume. It was strange to associate her with any other smell than what I'd grown accustomed to.

Before the doors opened, a thought only just occurred to me in that moment.

"What about Charlie?"

She blinked at me, eyes only dry at the corners.

"What?"

"I know it's probably a lot to ask of you right now, especially since I..." I trailed, not wanting to continue that thought. She would start crying again, and neither of us wanted her to feel such a horrible way again.

So, I began from scratch. "One of us should look after her. Do you mind if I do?"

She inhaled, then stopped, finally settling upon shaking her head.

"No. She likes you more anyway."

The doors pinging open in front of us, she strutted her way in slowly, avoiding the gazes of people around her. Our eyes met only briefly, but instead of grinning like two teenagers in love, we gestured to each other with nothing more than a curt nod.

For a long time, more so than just the past couple months, we were strangers.

Although it was under unfortunate circumstance and an affair I knew would ruin everything, we were wrong to get married in the first place. We were twenty-four when we took our vows, nothing more than children; we had no business in falling in love.

At least, with this divorce, she'd finally find the man she truly deserved. One that would make her happy and help her expand on a family.

In a way, I was upset. I mean, of course I was, the woman I'd been with for six years had agreed upon ending things. I might not be in love with her anymore, but it didn't mean I didn't care or love who she was. We had history, too much that time could not erase.

I hadn't appreciated her enough while she had been mine. I guess I should've, who knew when the opportunity may arise again?

"Amy!"

Her eyes met mine, as the last person filled the cramped-up space. Irises that absorbed you; not just you but the entire essence you radiated, they were beautiful.

I gave her a weak smile. I wanted her to know that I was still the man she knew. I was Ash — and I was here, whenever she needed me.

"Thank you."

I didn't know if she grinned, or had decided to throw a shoe at me, because the elevators doors sealed shut, driving her down into the depths below. Unless she decided to take the stairs to come back to scream at me, I guessed I wouldn't hear from her for a while.

Patrolling the hallways, I dug my mobile out of my coat pocket. I hope Shira got my text.

Unlocking it, it read a send error.

Fuck!

Darting for the stairs, the few people that had decided to get their daily exercise budged out of my way.

Once I hit ground floor, I dashed out the front door. If she wasn't out my door, then she'd be out by the benches at the front, keeping up the pretense that this was a healthy, and not to mention legal, relationship.

The breeze hit my face, the wailing echo of an ambulance closing in at A&E, but there was no sign of the woman that constantly besotted and surprised me.

She really wasn't here.

Should I call... or did that make me look too desperate? Too needy?

Cursing myself, I made my way back inside the burning. Maybe since I ignored her call, she thought I'd changed my mind.

Fuck! I internally screamed, ruffling my hair as I waltzed back inside, away from the consistent annoyance of that ambulance wail.