Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 64 - We Band of Misfits

After my test results came back positive, the police were notified. Confirming the story with the two officers, they'd promised to see Ben behind bars.

My family had arrived as well, even with baby Theo. But before I got to ask for a hold of him, someone slinked past them. The one out of them all that I truly wanted to see.

Madison slipped her feet out of her heels and headed right for me, engulfing me in a hug that normally would've had me poking fun at her. However, she and everyone else knew this was no laughing matter.

Looking past her fiery mane that she called hair, I saw that everyone I considered important was here. My dad, the hero. My brother, no longer just a man but a great father now too, with Alison, who was the reason he pursued to better himself. August who, despite his distaste for hospitals, had come for me. And finally, my best friend's girlfriend, who grinned so beautifully I felt a brief pang of jealousy. It was gone too soon though, as anything was better than the abhorrence and pity that settled itself back in.

I hugged them all and got to cradle Theo in my arms, too. He was bigger than when I'd seen him last.

They didn't ask me about the attack, or Ben. Instead, they focused on happier subjects, such as how nicely Madison and Danielle's apartment was coming along. I nodded and went along with it, grinning where I felt appropriate, even though it hurt to.

That wasn't all the news. August was taking his business overseas, so it meant the branch was being expanded and he was going to be able to afford the finer things. Though I made this jab, he laughed and said no, that he was going to donate most of it to a cancer charity.

He clasped a hold of the hand that didn't balance Theo, kissing my knuckles lightly. His lips were moist – the exact opposite of mine, which had thoroughly been bitten through as well.

Everyone seemed to be doing great. Of course, I only knew what they told me, but even then, it was nice knowing these people had others who'd care after them. One day, I'd leave this world knowing they all had someone worth their time and effort. In the end, they wouldn't end up like I did -- because they were loved.

Ash hadn't moved that much. He'd introduced himself to August, Madison and Danielle but he hadn't really moved since he got me earlier. I reckoned he'd been at ease with me, and we'd been disturbed.

When I asked if I'd be getting dinner, he faltered, staring at me a moment before galloping off. The sight of his back wasn't pleasant but I knew, at least, this time he was coming back.

"You were right. Sexy doctor is sexy." My best friend giggled, her girlfriend joining in with them.

"Maddie!" I almost shrieked, meeting eyes with my dad and brother, who both looked like they were on the verge of rolling on the floor and clutching their sides.

But she stuck her tongue out at me, then connected with my eyes for a few moments. Her eyes always had been one of her best features, if I had to pick just one. Considering she was perfect in every way, it was because of those eyes that I continued my friendship with her. They were always gentle, caring and exposed.

Vulnerable.

Madison had never put up any walls for me. We had torn each other's down the moment we met. Maybe that sounded corny and cliché, but people do say it for a reason.

A simple one: because it's the truth.

Whilst in a relationship with Ben, I'd never been able to truly relax. From the start, the warnings signs were there and I guess I was thankful I got out before the beatings would've happened if we stayed together. Because that's just who he was.

But, Madison, she wasn't like him. I hadn't just clung onto her because she was the one thing I had left of him. I held on because I trusted her.

"Maddie," I spoke softly, as I handed my nephew back to his mother. Since I had to have some kind of human contact, I decided to squeeze her fingers a little as she gazed at me, saucers wide and gleaming. She could have been an angel with that look.

"I'm so sorry about everything I ever did to you. Joking about how shit your job is, demanding your full attention and time, telling you who you do and don't like. I don't know any of those things. I never tried to control you, I just liked having someone that was solely mine, you know? Somebody there when I messed up, to tell me what a loser I am. But I never..." I trailed off, closing my eyes. I couldn't look at her any longer and face disappointment.

"Danielle is perfect and, like every other couple I see, I'm so unbelievably jealous of you. I didn't want her to have you because, for so long, you were mine. It's not so simple as just saying that to you when, in the back of my mind, I kept telling myself that we weren't friends. And I was right, because we never were."

Madison's hands clammed up in mine, trying to wiggle their way out. Opening my eyes, I saw that Danielle had laid a hand on her shoulder, sending a confused expression in my direction.

Lunging for her again, before her girlfriend hauled her away to do some private crying, I made her face me squarely. The torture on her face was unmissable.

I smiled softly, eyes brimming once more.

"We're sisters."

Thankfully, when Madison next made noise it was a high-pitched scream of joy. She threw herself onto me, burrowing her face into the grooves of my shoulder as I ran my fingers through her hair.

I locked eyes with her girlfriend, who I could see wanted to hug me, too.

"I don't see friends or a remarkable one-night stand that turned into something more."

August chuckled, kissing my fingertips again.

At that moment, Ash had turned the corner. He was still looking somewhat worse for wear, but for the time since I'd been admitted to this hospital today, he smiled. Perhaps it wasn't a toothy grin, and not the one I'd like to see, but it was the next best thing.

I cradled Madison close and I projected my words, somehow wanting him to hear.

"I see family."