Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 67 - The Sound of Silence

I was looking through papers in my office when there was a knock on my door. Checking my watch, I quickly concluded that I had no appointments at this hour, so curiosity got the better of me.

Not speaking up to let the person know I was approaching, I just opened the door when I got there, greeted with a semi-familiar face.

My eyebrows furrowed slightly.

"August, right? What can I do for you?" I sidestepped a bit, allowing entrance, although the last thing I wanted was my girlfriend's one-night stand in my quarters.

Girlfriend. Huh. The word taste different. I hadn't used it for nearly a whole decade, it was strange to have it back again -- but needless to say, I liked it.

He brushed past me, crossing his arms as he regarded me. He was a big man, built like a bodybuilder. I should've been frightened by him.

But, due to all the hanging out I'd spent with Shira, I wasn't.

"You're the guy, right? You're the one having an affair with Shira."

Peeking outside into the hall, I was relieved that nobody heard. I shut the door, facing him directly. He hadn't moved a singular muscle.

"Look, I'm tired of the constant judging I get from my friend, I don't need it from you. Yes, I'm married and yes, I am engaging in sexual relations with Shira but I don't see how any of it is your business."

I scowled as he licked his lips, small chuckles escaping past them.

"Are you an idiot? You're jeopardizing your career!"

"I don't give a flying fuck about my job, especially not when it comes to her!"

He faltered a little, but soon enough dropped his arms by his side. His entire demeanor changed, obviously linking my words together.

Shira may be oblivious when it comes to love, but August wasn't.

"You upset her once before, I just... I don't want that to happen again. She was depressed and lonely and it sickened me. Then, I noticed she wasn't seeing you frequently and I guess that's when it clicked: she was pursuing an affair with her doctor." He grumbled, sticking his hands in his pockets. "What I'm trying to say is, in the small collection of months that I've come to know her, nobody has affected her the way you have. You've left a mark, it's up to you what you decide to do with it now."

My nostrils flared. "Listen here, you–"

I was cut off, however, by the shrill tone of my pager. Grunting, I grabbed it and stared at the numbers. Suddenly, I felt like nothing was but a dream.

Because dreams are pure figments of the imagination. The events, the places and faces you see are all made up of real things, mashed together to make your creation. And I longed that this was one of those occurrences. That, within the next couple of seconds, I'd startle myself awake.

Not even bothering with the guy any further, I darted for the elevator. People shrieked in surprise when I bumped into them, but they knew better than to holler. I pressed the button perhaps a million times, but it fucking wasn't arriving quick enough.

So, I resorted to the stairs. I damned myself for having an office so high up.

Luckily for me, the stairwells were empty. Yet, it wasn't enough to stop the ringing in my ears, repeating itself over, mocking me.

Once I arrived on the correct floor, I headed straight for the room in question. From the door, I could already make out the bustling of feet, scrubs bristling against skin, frantic and urgent voices and the drone of the machines.

Sprinting my way over, the elevator pinged as I passed it, August materializing from within. He piqued an eyebrow, then matched his pace to mine.

I was by the room in no less than ten seconds, clinging to the frame for dear life. The scene displayed before me, I don't think I could put it into words.

Doctor Patrick had his hands pressing down in the centre of Shira's chest, as other nurses stood by with a defibrillator. They spoke loud and clear, yet it all became all too muffled. I watched silently, the warmth spreading over me, as Patrick called to set the volts higher.

The tubes that were inside of her mouth were covered in vibrant red splotches, dribbling down to her throat. It wasn't the only place on her that was bleeding, either, as the pillow was soaked through.

There was a shriek from beside me, as the hulk of a man tried to barge past me. I shook my head out of it, I couldn't let him in.

I pushed him off, only just noticing his tear-stained cheeks before I shut the door behind me. Predicting what his next move would be, I moved to the window and lowered down the blinds as well.

I couldn't take this anymore. The wail of her monitor was striking. It was making me shake.

"Move, you useless shit." I put myself in Patrick's place. He didn't argue as much as he usually would, but my eyes were all for the motionless woman on the bed. "How did this happen?"

"She haemorrhaged. On behalf of Dr Patrick, I ordered a CT but I didn't read it on her chart." The nurse explained.

"You overlooked that!? Are you fucking kidding me?"

I clasped my hands together and beat them down on her chest, trying to remember how to breathe myself. I expected to feel the steady beat of her heart under my palms, but no matter how much I pumped, it never came.

The dimensions could bleed into one and I'd never stop. I wouldn't give up. She hadn't done with me, I couldn't stop. I won't ever.

The nurses backed off one by one, giving me the space I needed to perform this resuscitation just by myself. That's fine, I inwardly snarled, I don't need them anyway.

Come on. Come back to me.

Her eyes were closed and the blood was drying up, but she wasn't cold. She wasn't gone. I wouldn't let her leave. Not me, not her family.

I continued my presses, even when Dr Patrick's hand touched my arm.

I couldn't look at him. If he'd only got here earlier, maybe this could have been avoided. Maybe we would've caught it together.

"Shira, return to me, please." They were no more than a whisper, but I knew everyone heard it. The constant drone of the machine alone wasn't enough to drown me out.

"Dr Cameron, we have to call it."

I whipped my head up, meeting the eye of the head nurse. The same one who held her hand when she got the smear to incriminate Ben.

That asshole. It was because of him that she was here. It was entirely his fault that this was happening.

"No, I can bring her back."

"Dr Cameron..."

"Fuck off and leave us. Don't help, I don't care. She's not going anywhere."

I pounded even harder, my fingers itching to run through her hair and kiss her better. If this were a fairy tale, she'd be the princess and I'd wake her up with a singular kiss. She'd blink open those eyes that enraptured me every time that they fell upon me, and she'd smile. A smile so wide, so wonderful that the rest of the world dulled and she became a spark; and it came to shine.

I gasped when I heard and felt the familiar snap of bone. It crushed under my weight and I instantly backed off, unable to drag my gaze away.

Agony.

The people around me scuttled and I felt a rough hand pat my shoulder. But, all my senses had turned numb. I couldn't feel myself breathe and that wasn't right. I shouldn't have to feel like this.

I walked over to the other side of the room, coming to the defibrillator. Such a unique device, it was supposed to help in keeping people alive, but it had failed me today.

Searing.

So, I struck my arms out and wrestled it to the ground. The bang of the machine startled the nurses, who collected into their little group and were protected by Dr Patrick. And... I think he was screaming at me. So many words, but I took no heed. What was the point?

Outside, with them, August stared lifelessly into the room. His eyes were red and swollen, puffy just like the rest of us, too.

I grounded my lower lips between my teeth, as I turned back towards Shira. Unmoving, unsmiling, she hadn't moved since I was torn away. The blotches on her skin had become brown and she wouldn't be able to wipe them away, claiming they were no more than battle scars.

Freezing.

I shook my head, blinking fast. The clouds of my vision were blocking her out.

Shira... she was...

I couldn't bear the idea of it, so I left the room. I breezed easily past August, who'd taken over gawking for me. I had to get out of here.

I wanted out. I wanted gone.

The only job I ever had that I loved was taking care of her. I couldn't do that anymore. I didn't need what was left...

So, I quit.