Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 69 - I'd do it All Again

Three months passed by speedily and I sat in the front row of the courtroom, looking at the left side. Ben was hunched over, attention wavering between the judge, jury and his fuckwit of a lawyer.

Unable to gain access to any of his skincare products, it was pleasuring to see that his flesh wasn't looking its best. His cheeks and jawline had broken out in miniature pimples and it had become very greasy. Although, I guess the uneven facial hair didn't help with that, either.

From beside me, Madison's chest was rising too fast. And, without any thought to it at all, I grabbed her hand and held on tight.

She didn't look at me, but the pull at the corners of her mouth told me everything.

Everyone in the room was silent. I think I'd probably even scold the next person who breathed. Don't cut it with a knife, don't even move.

The bench clerk gave the verdict paper to the judge and he put his glasses over his eyes. He read over it steadily, not faltering once. Then, he just nodded and issued it back, as the clerk handed it to the jury. It was all done within a couple of seconds.

The foreman of the jury stood, sheet in between his hands. From here, I could see the sweat pouring from his pores, but it didn't prevent him from doing what he knew he must.

"In trial of the family of Shira Walker against Benjamin Matthew Bailey, we the jury, find the defendant..."

I gauged the atmosphere, distinguishing the mix of anger and fear that came from the people on my row. Her father, who upon first impression I thought would never wish harm upon a fly, was grinding his teeth. He wasn't waiting in anticipation, because I knew that if this turned out any other way than how it should, he'd kill Ben.

Her brother and Alison, his girlfriend, were seated next to each other, holding hands and praying under their breaths. I couldn't dispute their faith during this time, but I couldn't tell them the result, either.

Behind me, Danielle and Angel were looking on, necks craned and eyebrows and ears high. Both waiting and tired of doing so.

Meanwhile, I just begged for this to be over. Seeing Ben's face for past few days had become exhausting on my mind. I'd been thinking of numerous scenarios, where I had magically known Shira's call to me that day had been of distress and I'd saved her from being torn to shreds. The beginning and middle hadn't changed, but as I neared the end, it got blurrier every time. More out of reach. When, I came to bust down her door, she was already sprawled across the glass splattered floor, haemorrhaging.

But I wasn't a hero. Despite how much I wished I could've saved her, heroism didn't exist. In all actuality, I might have only prolonged her life for a few more hours. Somehow, she'd still die. That's just how life works. It fucked you up in any way it could.

And you couldn't love someone back to life.

But, if I could, I'd have told her earlier. When we broke up, I would have confirmed her every word. Which was true, even back then, I just hadn't known. I'd take our relationship back to the start, tell her she was my entire world and make her feel heaven on earth. I'd do it all again if it meant she'd be aware of just how much she'd impacted my life, my entire existence.

It was because of her that I learned how to be strong.

And I was glad I got to meet her. I'm appreciative that she found me so appealing to chase after me. I don't regret the affair, because that would mean regretting her.

That's just something I could never do.

"Guilty!"

In the same moment that Ben screamed profanities and kicked back his chair to slam the desk, Madison threw up our hands and used it to wrap around her in an embrace.

Suddenly, the world was bright again. The laughter and grins of the people that had been a part of Shira's life, well, it was enough to make even the most disturbed of us chant in success.

With Ben facing a minimum of fifteen years in prison for his countless crimes, the court was then dismissed. Leaving the building, I shrunk away as the family spoke to the press, I left for home. I didn't want to stick by and overstay my welcome.

As I entered the apartment complex, I nodded swiftly to Dave, who breezed past with his arm around his girlfriend's shoulders. I guess my soft smile was all the tell he needed, as he laughed in relief.

Unlocking my door, I was greeted to the pitter-patter of frantic footsteps. Bending down, I ruffled the fur of Charlie's head, looking the precious little creature in the eye.

"Sorry to leave you alone for so long, baby. How about we take a walk? I've got somebody who would love to hear my news."

Her bark was all the confirmation I needed, as I clipped on the lead and left for the cemetery.

I can't wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END.

Thank you for reading this story. Keep in touch for my other works. I hope you enjoyed every part of Shira and Ash's journey :D