Prescription for Miss Walker

Act 7 - Open the Door

After being introduced to radiotherapy and chemo the next day, Dr Cameron took me back to his office. To be completely honest, I didn't know he was that important to have his own.

I mean, sure, when I'd asked the rest of the staff they said he was a brilliant doctor and valued member of their community -- but I didn't know he qualified to have his own thinking space.

Walking in, I noticed the whiteboard and assortment of medical books, an up-to-date computer and storage cabinets. The walls were made up of oak and varnished and the carpet was a lively ruby. My heels created craters as I waltzed to one of the seats opposite his desk.

He plopped down on his recliner, facing me instantly. I grew cold under it, the man was so intimidating.

"So, I would like to start right away. Monday seems like the best..."

I leaned forward, throwing my hands out. He stopped talking, one eyebrow arched.

"I agreed to a consultation, not the treatment process. I will eventually, but not now. I mean, I still have to tell my family." At first, my voice was strong, but with every sentence it got weaker. The realizations hadn't fully dawned on me until that moment.

What was I going to say to my brother? God forbid, my father even. He was going to be so disappointed that I hadn't informed him earlier.

"I'll call you and we'll make arrangements of when to begin everything. It just can't be right now, they have a right to know."

His face hardened, as he put down his pen. I then noticed a picture frame, of a woman. I didn't quite get a good look of her.

"Miss Walker, do you live with your parents?"

I may have flinched a little. It was a stupid question, after all.

"What? No."

"Then what does it matter?" His tone was firm, authoritative. I didn't even try to fight my legs from opening. "You can tell them the truth while you're undergoing treatment. I need to get you into an MRI--"

"No! If my father were to find out that I kept this from him..." I trailed off, biting my lip hard. I was just able to knock a cough back at the same time.

Dr Cameron's eyes narrowed, glittering behind the avalanche that was his snowy hair falling over his face.

Fuck me, he was too sexy. What I would give for him to take me on his desk at that very moment.

"Aww, would daddy ground his wittle baby?" He rolled his eyes.

Sexy or not, that mouth of his needed a good old punching.

So I glared at him. He challenged me back, it was unnerving all over again.

"Start the damn treatment and call your relatives--"

"No, I'm not going to do that!"

"Miss Walker, your cancer could be serious! Are you really going to delay this?" He was soon to be in hysterics. Too bad I was furious.

I'd been told what to do all my life. By my mother, by teachers, by my only boyfriend... And I'd had enough of it. I wasn't a child, if I was going to make bad decisions then that's what I'd do. I didn't owe them explanations, other than this is what I wanted to do.

I didn't want to die (no way) but I was only asking for a little time. Time to share news with family and friends, to gain the support I knew they'd offer... Time to cry and pray with them.

So, upon leaning further forward on my seat, I captured his gaze within mine, wholly. If he was looking to run, I'd find him.

"No."

"Miss Walker, if you would just listen!" His stubborn attitude was looking to win this. I wouldn't let him.

"Doctor Cameron, my answer... is no." Keeping it firm but not aggressive like his, I slouched down in my seat. Suddenly, I was all too hungry.

Knowing he wanted to scream at me a little more, I diverted my attention towards his whiteboard. His writing was ineligible, all the more evidence he was good at his job.

The silence between us then was outstretched, heavy. Maybe he'd never been told no before and I'd hurt his feelings.

My stomach grumbled.

"Would you like me to escort you to the cafeteria, Miss Walker?"
***

I picked at my pizza slice. I wasn't keen on gluten-free products but it was the best they served. It just sat there on my paper plate, alone and unwanted.

Looking up from the table though, I smiled at the raw display in front of me.

Doctor Cameron wolfed his pizza slices down like he hadn't ate in a week. He didn't care that some purée had splashed onto his cheek.

Maybe his wife wasn't a good cook. Or she starved him. Or she was on some crazy body cleanse and demanded he take it with her...

I didn't know why, but that woman was all I could think about. Was she whom I'd seen in the frame on his desk?

I coughed into my palm, disregarding the way he looked at me afterwards.

"What made you want to become a doctor?" I suddenly asked him. I propped my chin up on my hand and stared into those eyes that greeted me with distaste.

Since he was married and all, I gathered there must be some redeeming qualities about him. Otherwise, he should be miserable and alone.

"It's an old profession. I like them. I'm smart, I like being that too." When I just continued to gawk, he struck out his lower lip as if to mock me. "What? Not the deep backstory you were looking for?"

I lowered my hand, as well as my eyes. I caught onto his wedding band and I desperately wanted to just rip it clean off.

"No. Next question," He groaned. I smiled for a second before letting it fall. "What made you want to be my doctor?"

He stopped chewing. Then proceeded to clean his face, taking the time to think about it, I assumed.

"You genuinely seemed upset when I said I wouldn't be taking your case. Plus, you didn't pester me for answers after I did your initial exam. You just let me do my thing."

I sat back and stretched out. My foot may have brushed his under the table, I wasn't certain.

"You were fascinating."

I giggled a little. That caught his attention, he'd completely abandoned his food and his attention was all for me.

"What?"

"I've been called many things, doctor. That's just never been one of them." Sexy, beautiful, perfect... I thought I'd heard them all a thousand times. But fascinating? Not even once.

He smiled.

"Clearly, I'm just a better judge of character than everybody else."

Don't let that head get too big now, otherwise it may just explode. And I didn't want that. I preferred my doctors with their heads attached.

"You should write a book about it. I'll buy it if I get the chance." My eye twitched then in a familiar spasm.

Did I just...?

Did I just wink at him?

Either thinking nothing of it or not noticing, he laughed. It was an otherworldly sound, one I wished could stay forever.

"I'll definitely think about it." His grin widened. Someone was definitely perking up.

The rest of lunch continued like that. I asked him how old he was when he got his degree (my age), what age he was now (thirty-one) and what he did in his spare time (play guitar and collect old blues records). It was different and nice.

And not once did I ever think of him fucking me over the table.