How to Save a Life

Better then You Know

~A Few Weeks Later~

"Hey," Zacky smiled, walking in. I looked up and smiled, noticing that almost everyone was watching him. He joined Matt at his table and waved at me. I had gotten to know Matt as well. He was really a big softie and seemed like a great guy. We had gone for some beers after work a few times. I waved back and began to serve people as he talked to Matt, who laughed and gently punched his arm as Zacky told him something. I tried to focus but I kept looking back over at him. His eyes met mine and he smiled a beautiful smile. I felt myself blush lightly and I looked away before handing the order to the consumer.

"Thanks, come again," I smiled before cleaning the machine. The next customer came up. "Hi can what can I get you?"

"I'll have a skinny latte and - Brian?" I felt my eyes go wide as I find myself face to face with my ex girlfriend, Michelle. She stared at me in almost shock then her face turned to one of disgust. "I thought working in Walmart was bad. Could you sink any lower?"

"Um let me see. I'm not the one who goes round fucking my partner's friend," I retorted back.

"Oh please. You had that coming,"

"How the fuck did I have that coming?" I growled, slamming down the jug I had been holding. She just laughed. "I did my best to make your life perfect,"

"You call that you're best?" She laughed. "Wow, that's really pathetic,"

That stung. I felt myself shaking as she laughed harshly.

"Is there a problem?" Matt asked, suddenly as him and Zacky walked over. Michelle glared at them both.

"I don't see how this your problem,"

"Because Brian is my friend and you're been a bitch for no reason," Zacky replied.

"Fuck off, fatso," She growled. Matt growled back but before he could do anything, Zacky shook his head.

"Leave now," He stated calmly.

"Make me,"

"Chelle, stop been a bitch!" Her twin sister, Val, growled as she walked over before Zacky could do anything. Michelle rolled her eyes and stormed away. It's amazing that they're identical twins but so different in personality. I actually like Val still. "Hey, I'm sorry about my sister. She got the bitch gene,"

"Fuck you, Val!" Michelle yelled out as she left the cafe. I sighed.

"Sorry about that," I mumbled, feeling deflated. Val reached over and hugged me. I hugged back.

"No, I'm sorry about her," She replied, kissing my cheek lightly. "Don't let her get you down, Syn,"

"Thanks, Val," I smiled, pulling away but the damage is already done. Val turned to Zacky.

"I'm really sorry that she called you fatso," She mumbled, clearly ashamed but Zacky just laughed it off.

"Well, I am a bit chubby but I like food," He grinned, causing my heart to skip a beat. Val smiled softly before she turned to Matt.

"Again, I'm sorry-"

"Hey, it's not like you're the one been a bitch," He grinned. "I'm Matt Sanders by the way,"

"Valary Di Bernadetto," She grinned, checking him out. I shook my head.

"I'm gonna take 5," I mumbled, going outside before anything can be said. I sank down on the bench and sighed.

"So that's your ex?" Zacky asked, sitting next to me. I looked at him. He smiled and held out a packet of Marlbrough cigarette. "Smoke?"

"Thanks," I replied, taking one. He popped one in his mouth and lit it before handing me the lighter. I took it and lit mine before handing one to him. "Yeah, that was her,"

"She should consider herself lucky that you gave her the time of day,"

"She's right. I'm a failure," I mumbled.

"No, she's not. You're not a failure, Brian," Zacky replied, looking at me with a determined look. "We're gonna prove it,"

"How?" I asked. He bit his lip as he thinks.

"Well... is there anything you like to do that really calls to you?" He asked. I thought for a minute.

"Music," I answered. "I use to play the guitar but I haven't play in over a year. Michelle told me I was useless at it..."

"That's it!" Zacky grinned, with a bright spark in his eyes. "You can play guitar with me in mine and Matt's band! Johnny's the bassist and my other friend, Jimmy, is our drummer!"

"Jimmy?" I questioned.

"Yeah. He's a little insane and plays the drums like a madman but he's awesome!"

"As in Jimmy Sullivan?"

"Yeah. Wait you know him?"

"Yeah, he's been my friend since middle school,"

"No fucking way! That's perfect!" Zacky grinned, excitedly.

"Zack... I'm shit at guitar!"

"So am I," He smiled. "Band practice is tonight,"

"You're not going to back down, are you?"

"Fuck no," He leaned over and pecked my cheek. "Not until you realize how amazing you are,"

~Time Skip~

I took a breathe as I stared at Matt's house. It wasn't anything fancy. It was a nice size though. I walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. A few seconds later, it opened.

"Hey, Bri," Matt smiled, pulling me into a bone crushing hug. "Glad you came,"

"Thanks... I take it that Zack told you I was coming?"

"Yeah,"

"It seems like a crazy idea,"

"Zack gets them a lot but we just go with it," He smiled. "It's never a dull day when he's around. Anyway, come on. Everyone's already here and set up and having beers,"

I nodded and followed him inside. He led me down to the basement that had been revamped into a recording room.

"We've already recorded one record with our ex bassist,"

"I thought Johnny was your bassist?" I asked, confused. Matt nodded.

"He is but he only joined about 2 months ago. Our now ex friend, Justin, was our bassist but he kept on missing practice so we kicked him,"

"Ah," I replied.

"BRIAN!" Jimmy suddenly screamed, running up to me and hugging me. "DUDE!! I didn't know you knew Matt and Zee. Fuck yeah, this is gonna be sick! Bri's a fucking legend on guitar!"

"I'm not..." I mumbled, looking away.

"Fuck off! Dude, all you use to do was fucking play! Surely, you remember how fucking pissed Susy use to get when you were bringing down the house with that fucking shredding and not to mention when you outshined your dad!"

"Yeah... but I'm not that great at it and I haven't played in over a year... I doubt I'll be any good," I sighed, putting down my guitar case. Jimmy eyed it up.

"S1?" He asked. I nodded. "Aaaaah. I haven't seen that beauty in ages!!"

I smiled. The guitar I owed was a beautiful thing. It had been a gift from my dad when I joined university but I stopped playing after Michelle told me I was useless and caused me to quit university.

"Where can I set up?" I asked. Zacky smiled and nodded to where he was. I walked over.

"Hey," I smiled. He smiled back and we set up my guitar.

"That is a beauty," He smiled.

"My dad got it for me," I replied before checking over the strings. "It was a gift for getting into uni,"

"Cool... what happened?"

"Michelle and life," I replied, tuning it. "Still sounds great,"

"Play that piece you wrote!!" Jimmy grinned. I sighed but began to play it. At first, it wasn't brilliant but as I continued to play, it slowly came back to me, just like riding a bike. The feeling how I felt when I first picked it up and the day my dad told me I was good at it. I finished playing and everyone was staring at me. "See?! I told you he was amazing,"

"I'm not,"

"Lies!" Jimmy cackled, causing everyone to laugh. Zacky smiled but I noticed he seemed... off.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just kind of jealous," He smiled.

"Why?"

"You're amazing," He replied. "I'm terrible compared to you,"

"I doubt that," I replied.

"Hey! Zack, show Brian what you can do," Matt stated. Zacky nodded and began to play. I sat and listened to him, smiling. He was amazing. Like really amazing. I felt my heart flutter slightly as I watched him. He looked up at me and I felt a shiver run down my spine when his eyes met mine. Not like a bad shiver. Like a good one. Almost like a spark. I'm guessing Zacky felt it too because he was looking straight into my eyes with a light blush on his face. Matt cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck while Johnny just focused on his bass. I rose an eyebrow before Jimmy grinned like a mad man.

"Wow, you two should totally fuck!" Both me and Zacky quickly looked away from each other. Way to go Jimmy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally updated this. Sorry it took a while. I've got some other updates planned. Anyway, hope you like it. There's only gonna be a few more chapters left now